new interesting problem with kindle app on fire tablet

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
so, as I was relaxing in bed three nights ago, I picked a random book to read in my library as is often my wont, to settle and relax my mind for sleep, and I ended up on one of my jim davis garfield compilation book volumes.

right away I noticed a problem.

it kicked my tablet right into portrait mode..which the origami style stand/case is known to perform sub-optimally at(eg stability issues).

so...I back out and go into another book, ghostbusters omnibus, and it presents the book in a proper landscape orientation.

next I go back to garfield and attempt to troubleshoot/look for an option to tell it to present in landscape.

I obviously failed.

I was not able to relax for sleep and spent close to an hour pretty annoyed with my tablet for the first time since I purchased it.

to be clear, it is only the jim davis garfield kindle books that present this particular issue, not even another comic(the old guard vol 1) resulted in this.

so, kind forum users, I ask of you..is there a setting or option I'm missing here, to force this particular series of books into landscape mode?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think comic books and other graphic-intensive books can force a certain orientation. I just compared the Essential Calvin and Hobbes to Harry Potter, and Harry Potter has many more Layout options (including one to lock orientation), while Calvin and Hobbes has just a couple.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
heres the thing..I went and loaded the old guard vol 1, it allowed landscape...and I know a month ago so did garfield..so I'm wondering if either the content or the app saw an update?

its not just the fire tablet..my samsung tablet's doing the same thing, as is my iphone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The last update according to the Play Store was December 8, so maybe something in that update changed things. I'd send feedback to the developer about it.

Also, Old Guard is AWESOME. I read through the first couple volumes, and just checked out the latest one (Tales Through Time) from my public library via Hoopla. If you haven't yet, watch the Netflix movie starring Charlize Theron -- it's an excellent adaptation.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
The last update according to the Play Store was December 8, so maybe something in that update changed things. I'd send feedback to the developer about it.

Also, Old Guard is AWESOME. I read through the first couple volumes, and just checked out the latest one (Tales Through Time) from my public library via Hoopla. If you haven't yet, watch the Netflix movie starring Charlize Theron -- it's an excellent adaptation.

I'd say that would explain my samsung tablet exhibiting this behavior with the garfield books, but the fire tablet is using the app specific to the fire os(ergo its built in). my iphone is displaying this behavior..so I believe its either the app or the content.

as to the old guard movie..I've seen it multiple times, you WILL like it.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
and I cant uninstall updates on the fire tablet since its a 'system component' so that troubleshooting step's out...