Change home screen?

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get rid of the rolling home screen and replace it with a decent one?

I am prepared to root the device if I need to ( but I have no idea what to do after that)

Alan

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Look for threads here describing Go Launcher EX... It will give you a more traditional Android home screen. No root is required, you just need to enable side loading and load the apk file.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Check out their site: GO Launcher | GO Launcher | GO

The site is in the form of a blog, just look for the latest release message (I do non-beta) and they will have a link to the apk.

The following is from memory, so you may have to do it a little differently, but this should get you close...

Just enable loading of untrusted content (or whatever they call it) on your Fire, then go to the site on the Fire browser and download the APK. Then click on the APK in your download folder, and you should be good to go.

When you run it, it will ask you if you want it to be the default. I didn't, because for some things I prefer the carousel, so I just click on the appropriate launcher each time I press home, or power-up.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you click on the APK using a file manager (like ES File Manager)? You need to do that with the APK in your download directory before it will show up. I wasn't very clear about that step.

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have since tried rooting again - seems to work. Re-installed the app and still it doesn't appear. After install, "Done" is bright, but "Open" is greyed out.

Also, I installed Play 3.7 - that gives me an "Open" option, but It immediately returns to the main screen.

Alan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae