Kindle fire HD ipad or nexus 10

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing with the fire HD 8.9 and I have the Ipad been comparing the both of them to decide which to keep, the only one I have not tried is the nexus 10 the fire has great access to content, amazon instant video is available on the ipad as well, and I'm guessing on the nexus 10 as well, the fire on the browser is a little laggy and well the only difference I have seen with sound was minimal and only on amazon instant video which you are able to get HD the ipad provides better performance on the browser, now don't get me wrong the browser isn't as bad as the regular fire, but it does crash from time to time. The big question is which should I return, I have time to do so, and well I don't want to keep the one that doesn't provide me the best experience, the nexus 10 is another tablet I wanted to see, but I am not sure how is the sound quality or performance for that matter.

knrstz64

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 and love it. My wife wants a larger tablet and I tried really hard to like the fire. The bottom line after doing lots of research and playing with multiple fires, 7 and 8.9, and on different occasions, the fire is a buggy device. None of the options are perfect. Nexus has had some issues with 4.2 and ios6 has apple maps and WiFi connectivity issues that still aren't fixed. Last week friend was at my house with her new ipad couldn't to my WiFi. If you read through the reviews on Amazon's website many complained of charging issues with the fire HD out of the box. Silk frequently crashes. When I played with the magazines on a display model, I tried everything to exit but I couldn't. I read reviews of people having the same problem. Good reads did a side by side comparison of the fire HD and iPad. turning magazine pages in the fire was bumpy. The fire has a great picture but I haven't seen it next to the other two. Both the nexus 7 and iPad tout their displays as well. One thing I noticed from Amazon's reviews is that many of the people that loved it said it was their first tablet. Many professional reviews say the fire is not a true tablet but an amazon media machine. The fire is for people that want to save money and don't mind side loading apps or for people that just want very simple internet, magazine and video consumption. The reviews of people that have had the tablet for an extended period of time, had no complaints and gave five stars, were few and far between. Good luck with your decision.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had an ipad before (9.7 inches) and didn't care much for the large size, so I wanted something smaller. The KFHD suits my needs. You can't go wrong with 7" tablets. Much easier to carry around you.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had the iPad 3, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and am currently using a Kindle Fire HD (7.0).

The iPad is a great tablet and I'm sure the iPad 4 is nothing short of awesome. And the tablet apps on iOS really make this tablet shine. I just sold my iPad 3 and maybe I'll get an iPad 4 later. I'm undecided. I'm starting to find that I really prefer a smaller size. And really a lot of great options for under $500. So I'm still weight if the apps I love on the iPad are really worth it.

The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 kinda disappointed me. The Kindle UI felt smoother and quicker on the faster 8.9 inch model than the smaller 7 inch model. But after I rooted it and side loaded some apps, I noticed lots of small issues. Chrome is pretty sluggish, Dolphin for some odd reason jumps to the bottom of new pages, Nova and Apex launchers flip upside down when trying to move or add icons in landscape mode. And oddly apparently the 8.9 inch speakers are no dual driver, they sound good, but aren't as loud as the 7.0 model.

I had the Fire HD 7.0 briefly before getting the Fire HD 8.9. I returned that smaller Fire HD because I thought the 8.9 was going to be a better experience. But I ended up returning that 8.9 inch and buying the 7.0 inch again. I rooted it, side loaded Google Play and other apps. Chrome is so much smoother, Dolphin works perfectly, Nova and Apex launchers work flawlessly (along with other launchers). The Kindle UI animations are noticeably slower, but it seems like the apps I side loaded are faster and have pretty much no issues. The speakers are louder. And I'm realizing I really like the smaller 7 inch size more anyway. A big reason I bought both Kindle Fire HDs is because I use a lot of Amazon content, including reading ebooks. And reading books is much better on a 7 inch screen I can comfortably hold in one hand.

I was really disappointed with the build quality of the Nexus 7. I went through 4 or 5 of those dang tablets, trying to get one that didn't have loose glass on the left side. I hope they have that manufacturing issue solved by now. The color quality of the Nexus 7 is also disappointing, screen looks washed out, greens and yellows look too pastel, white saturation isn't good. I had my Nexus 7 for about 2 months praying Google would be able to fix the screen calibration with an update, but that never happened. The speaker also really sucked. For $200 it's nice and for someone that isn't into Amazon content I'd say it's a much better choice than a Kindle Fire HD. But I like my Kindle Fire HD because of the better looking screen, much better speakers, and easy access to all my Amazon content, and I also like the suggestions and ease of purchasing new content and the Lending Library (X-Ray is kinda okay too).

It's a shame the iPad mini has such disappointing specs. I'm sure it works great, but just hard to pay $330 for something with a 1024x768 screen and a 2 year old SoC. I might need to see this in person to see if the lightness and thinness can't change my mind or something.

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just in case the original poster is unaware. The manufacturers for the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 are different (10 is made by samsung, 7 by asus). So do not take any hardware quality information about the Nexus 7 and assume it applies to the Nexus 10.

Now, on to your question. If you have an investment in amazon content, the new Kindle Fires are great from a bang for buck perspective. If you like to tinker with hardware they are locked down and much harder to work with than the Nexus machines. So if you want a platform to consume content, and are already a prime subscriber go with the Kindle. If you already have iphone/ipad apps and are willing to pay the premium go with the ipad. If you want to tinker and play directly with the OS go with the nexus. The nexus also lets you dip your toe in the water with many content providers (B&N, Amazon, and Google). So if you want diversity in content providers (although limited support from amazon) a nexus will let you explore several offerings. I personally will not get another ipad, too expensive for what it offers in my opinion, however if you have a mac at home and have already invested in that hardware/software it does play very well with those devices.

That was my 2 cents on the topic at hand...

Jayebird58

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
DUDE!
Your very Articulate & covered All I have Researched! I bought The, Kindle Fire HD 32GB 8.9", 3 weeks ago! I feel like a Tech-Head now! I wanted The iPad, but couldn't Justify-$1,600, for the Model I wanted! I did my research, and opted for The Kindle! Reading Your review, I feel even Smarter! As, I am not the, "Sharpest Knife in The Drawer", with Tech Devices! I have The New iMac 27", and LOVE It! With The Kindle, I have "The BEST" of Both Worlds!
Keep Righting , My Friend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos