Kindle Fire HD 8 or Samsung Tab A 7?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"; 8 GB Wifi Tablet (Black) SM-T280NZKAXAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ8ERH...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5582006

All-New Fire HD 8 Tablet, 8" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHBBG0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5582006

For my middle son. My older son has a fire 7, so I basically know how it works.

Solid performance, limited games.

My middle son is gonna get a tablet, but not sure. The Fire HD8 looks great, only $60 now, and I know it'll be solid in performance and no hassles. And I feel like better supported, I can call Amazon if need be. And good parent controls.

But, no Google play store.

Samsung Tab A 7 seems on par, has the Google play store, but smaller, less memory, and doesn't have like... The support from Amazon. I feel like collecting Samsung would be a lot more difficult than contacting Amazon. And is $95.

So what do you think? I don't feel like rooting the Fire, just cuz I don't want anything to go wrong, not my device, etc.

Thanks for any help!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I went the cheapest route, 8 gb. Not quite convinced yet to keep it. But getting Google play set up was really very easy. If casting to a chromecast is not an issue I'd say it was a great little tablet. The screen looks very nice and bright. The onscreen buttons are a little funky if used to regular buttons.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The fire is just pretty compelling at that price! And 8 inch is nice. 16gb. $60. I want to get the tab a, not too much more, but... I dunno.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You got the Fire, not the "all-new: fire hd 8?"

No I have 2 galaxy note 10.1 2014 tablets for regular use. But for 33 bucks less my 5 courtesy credit the fire 7" was too good to pass up for a small device to keep by my bed for music, quick web or email, and just a cute lil device to carry around to use while waiting for dr appts etc.

I also keep a 126gb sd card for other stuff I like to carry around

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Uh, no. That's what high capacity SD cards are for.

Does your Tab A have the Marshmallow update? Does it have adoptable storage where the SD card becomes integrated memory, or are you using Apps2SD? I know that not every app moves over to SD card, so I might be able to store movies or music on the sd card, but not huge apps.

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
@Funkpod, did you get the Fire HD8? If so, do you recommend signing in with YOUR Amazon Account? Or make a new account for your kid?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey, what's up! Literally, I was just trying to figure this all out. What I finally ended up doing was creating a Gmail for myself that my son can use, then creating a new Amazon account, then signed in using that new Amazon account.

I had mine set up at first, but I felt it was kinda difficult, I guess it really didn't matter in the end.

Thanks for the advice, all!