Drive other prices down?

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
What other products might the new Fire (and other Kindle products announced today) drive the price down on, if any?

I'm thinking possibly other low and mid range android tablets? Probably not the iPad.

Will probably affect Barnes & Noble Nook lineup the most.

Thoughts?

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I only see this impacting Nook Color. That's clearly who the Kindle Fire has in its sights.

Everyone else is in a different market segment.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I think it will definitely bring down the Nook Color but it will also have a profound effect on any 7 inch tablet. The Fire has the features most people use and I can't see spending $569 on a 7 inch Galaxy tab now that this is out. Granted the GT will have more features, but the price will have to come down to at least $399.

The holidays are going to be brutal for Android tablets--good for us. :)

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I think the HTC Flyer is going to have be adjusted somewhat. The coming Toshiba Thrive 7" and Samsung 7.7" maybe too.

Everyone screams how 7" tablets should be a lot cheaper than 10"s. I'm not sure what the base cost difference is in a 7" vs 10.1" touch panel part. It may not be actually all that much.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Every device that is not an iPad will need price adjustments (not now, but in November). The Touchpad weakened the Android tablet market, and the Kindle Fire may kill it.

It creates two markets, the high-end (iPad for 499 and up) and low-end (Fire for 199 or less).

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
You have to keep in mind that the only way that Amazon is actually able to sell a tablet at a price point this low is because they are using it as a channel to their stores.

Amazon plans on making their money off of generic Amazon product, book, movie, music, and app sales.

Other OEM's like Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola don't have that luxury, they make their money off hardware sales.

dstrauss#IM

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think they named it "Fire?" Because it has lit the match under the rest of the Android market. Sure, there are better features on the "upscale" Android tablets, but in reality, what do the Xoom, Samsung, Acer, RIM, Asus, Toshiba, HTC, and other lesser knowns really deliver that make them $300-400 BETTER than the Kindle Fire. Add to that Amazon's media and app ecosystem (think Apple), the other vendors will be on the ropes with big fire sales by Black Friday.

The same applies to these vendors when compared to Apple on the top side. WHY buy any of these competitors at prices EQUAL TO OR GREATER than the iPad, when you can have the real thing at that price (or even less - listening there Motorola?). They are now unmercifully squeezed between the Kindle on the bottom (with its ecosystem) and Apple on the top side (with its ecosystem). This ain't going to be pretty...

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, one big difference other tablets have over the Fire is the entire Android Market. The Fire will only have curated Amazon AppStore access as you said, but for some that will be an important distinction. Plus there's that Honeycomb thing. Which I happen to like for tablets over the 2.x OS.

But you are right in part, there will now be a perception in the masses that other tablets are over priced. Including I think, that Apple thing.

Why do you think they named it "Fire?" Because it has lit the match under the rest of the Android market. Sure, there are better features on the "upscale" Android tablets, but in reality, what do the Xoom, Samsung, Acer, RIM, Asus, Toshiba, HTC, and other lesser knowns really deliver that make them $300-400 BETTER than the Kindle Fire. Add to that Amazon's media and app ecosystem (think Apple), the other vendors will be on the ropes with big fire sales by Black Friday.

The same applies to these vendors when compared to Apple on the top side. WHY buy any of these competitors at prices EQUAL TO OR GREATER than the iPad, when you can have the real thing at that price (or even less - listening there Motorola?). They are now unmercifully squeezed between the Kindle on the bottom (with its ecosystem) and Apple on the top side (with its ecosystem). This ain't going to be pretty...

nuprotocol

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Or it's named "Fire", b/c it's following the "Kindle" name. lol

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope it drives prices of the tab 7.7 and thrive 7 tablets to 250 or less. If not ill be grabing this even though i really want. Hc or ics 7 inch for the google apps as well. Hopefully we get an amazon prime app for normal tablets.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, one big difference other tablets have over the Fire is the entire Android Market. The Fire will only have curated Amazon AppStore access as you said, but for some that will be an important distinction. Plus there's that Honeycomb thing. Which I happen to like for tablets over the 2.x OS.

But you are right in part, there will now be a perception in the masses that other tablets are over priced. Including I think, that Apple thing.

If the Kindle Fire takes off, which I think it will, then the Devs will submit their apps to the Amazon App store and it wont be missing much.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

MeshiaSamurai

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it will have much affect on Honeycomb tablets. Certainly not 10.1" Honeycomb tablets. The Nook Color is a different matter. I wouldn't be surprised to see an anouncement about a price drop before the holiday shopping season kicks up.

I think the amount that it affects other tablets will be related to how easy it is to hack. I don't think it will be too drastic, though. The limitations of its hardware will keep other tablets from dropping that far.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Saw rumor HTC Flyer could see a price drop to $300 shortly. Nook Color dropped to $224.... Not sire why it didn't drop to $199. May also see some good mark downs after Thanksgiving. Price wars are good for us the consumer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I learned more about the K-Fire ITT than I have reading like 20 tech newsfeeds. You guys rock.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Saw rumor HTC Flyer could see a price drop to $300 shortly. Nook Color dropped to $224.... Not sire why it didn't drop to $199. May also see some good mark downs after Thanksgiving. Price wars are good for us the consumer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Its not a rumor anymore. If I didn't already have a NC I'd get the Flyer

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci