Did I miss it or did they not even mention Android at all? Everyone says it;s Android powered but any official specs regarding the OS?
    09-28-2011 10:33 AM
    Gizmodo lists it as Android 2.3 in their tablet comparison, but doesn't list a source.
    09-28-2011 10:50 AM
    It really doesn't matter. It's embedded Android. Not smartphone Android. Not tablet Android.
    09-28-2011 10:54 AM
    I have read that the Android fork on the Fire is based off of 2.1. Anyway, since the interface is so customized, you wouldn't notice which Android it was based from, and it seems Amazon does not want people to know.

Amazon's appstore checks the apps before allowing you to download them.
    09-28-2011 11:00 AM
    Phil what do you mean by embedded Android?
    09-28-2011 01:05 PM
    Phil what do you mean by embedded Android?
    What he means, I think, is that its not like this is running Android or would be considered an Android tablet.

What Amazon did, which was smart, was to basically make the app section of this tablet be branded as "their apps" for Kindle but what it is doing is using Android apps.

They are using Android for apps like if they had a games section and it was all flash games.

Does that make sense?
    09-28-2011 02:54 PM
    I love Android, but I do have to say that this approach of not bringing up Android was smart for Amazon.

Right now, to many consumers, there is the iPad and all those crappy Android tablets at the stores.

For example, I go into a Best Buy and the displays for all the Android tablets are lack luster and are treated as all the same tablet. If Amazon made this "another Android" tablet, then it would get put into that category in consumer minds.

I think the Kindle Fire will be huge this year during the Holidays.
    09-28-2011 02:58 PM
    What he means, I think, is that its not like this is running Android or would be considered an Android tablet.

What Amazon did, which was smart, was to basically make the app section of this tablet be branded as "their apps" for Kindle but what it is doing is using Android apps.

They are using Android for apps like if they had a games section and it was all flash games.

Does that make sense?
    To add to that: amazon basically took the core of android, stripped out anything superfluous (all google apps, all extra code for GPS, 3G, etc.) and then built their own 'OS' on top of it. The only reason they used android was for the app compatibility, which is a must for any tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    akhi216 likes this.
    09-28-2011 03:00 PM
    To add to that: amazon basically took the core of android, stripped out anything superfluous (all google apps, all extra code for GPS, 3G, etc.) and then built their own 'OS' on top of it. The only reason they used android was for the app compatibility, which is a must for any tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well said.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    09-30-2011 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD