Netflix for Kindle Fire?

JD78#WN

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
No. Sorry.

It has not been confirmed yet, but I believe there will be a Netflix app for the Fire. At the reveal, Dave Limp who is the Kindle VP stated four companies had access to the Fire prior to the event, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, and Pandora. (per Andy Ihnatko, Amazon Kindle Fire explodes onto tablet scene - Chicago Sun-Times)

So not only it's it very likely the Fire will have a Netflix app, but Amazon went out of their way to reach out to Netflix and provide them access to the device. This is a win win for both of them, so I see no reason it won't happen.

He even went on to say that they'd be willing to discuss adding competitor e-book apps like Barnes & Noble.

I really don't think they are going to shut out any content just because it might compete with theirs. They want to get this thing in the hands of as many users as they can because they know in the end that the Fire users will want to use something from their suite of offerings first.

Reactions: Elis60660 and w9zo

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't see netflix coming out for the kindle fire. Amazon wants to push their own products with this device. Why would they let a competitor be on their product? A hacked version to run on the Kindle Fire, yep.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see netflix coming out for the kindle fire. Amazon wants to push their own products with this device. Why would they let a competitor be on their product? A hacked version to run on the Kindle Fire, yep.

The press release said it would have a Netflix app. Sure, the app store today doesn't have one, but it isn't November release day yet. Not having a Netflix app would hurt sales and the goal is to push out a lot of these devices.

jackchaos

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
If Netflix was at the event I believe the device will have a netflix app.

Here's my reasoning:

I have an Apple TV and it has access to Netflix. Which one would argue is in direct competition to Apple's own native offering of movies and tv shows on the device.

I'm sure Apple is getting some $ from netflix for either having netflix on the device or $ per subscriber utilizing netflix through the Apple TV. I would imagine that Amazon.com has negotiated a similar type of deal if they were at the event.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hope it does have Netflix, because I already have a account with them and am thinking of getting this for my 10 year old girl for Christmas, she will freaking love it! And probably use it more for reading books then anything else :)