Why did YOU buy the Fire?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
With so many competitors out here now, it might be interesting to post WHY you bought your Fire.
I bought mine because:
  • The price..first and importantly.A tablet is a toy..and at $199.00 (NO TAXES FROM AMAZON as well) makes a toy much more realistic.
  • I like the form factor....you can put it in your pocket, albeit a LARGER pocket, it is possible. An iPad is a dinner plate and takes two hands. Of course, I can't find the remote sometimes and this might end up in the cracks of the couch. I can find a dinner plate though.
  • I think the bookshelf homescreen layout, with recent apps is functional. Home seems very organized and user freindly.
  • Obviously, the Android system itself.
  • It looks very easy to purchase from Amazon...movies, books, and I have done a LOT of Christmas/other shopping on Amazon. Now instead of calling mom to the desktop, or dragging the laptop to her or squeezing in on the Droid X, I can just whip out the Fire.
  • It fits MY needs: I have wifi at home/work should it be needed. And, I like the cloud storage if needed. I don't need a webcam/mic. And I certainly don't want another connectivity bill to pay. I don't feel like I'm wasting my money on stuff I really don't use. My X has sufficed very well for 3G required things.
  • It's going to bridge my 'slow-to-tech' wife into 2011. She reads a lot, so I think she'll be grabbing this outta my hands, which...:)....might make me have to buy the next generation Fire. haha (man thinking)

So..what's YOUR reasons for buying your Fire?
p.s. Amazon..I would like an SD slot on the Fire2.

bed269

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
For the web browsing and e-reader. I read tons of news on my Thunderbolt while it's nice it's still small.
And of course the price.
After telling a few family members about this I might be ordering more for Christmas gifts.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Elis60660

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought it primarily for the content. I liked my Acer tablet, but the only video I can watch on it was laggy or crappy apps that had shows I didn't want to watch. I only read the news and watched stuff on youtube, checked email and really that's it. It wasn't fun to read on because it was cumbersome. The Fire just seems to have a purpose some thought was put into it not just a random mess.

robdec17

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For those buying it as an e-reader mainly and you not concerned with trying to read it in daylight. Pool,beach or just outside in general?

Elis60660

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
For those buying it as an e-reader mainly and you not concerned with trying to read it in daylight. Pool,beach or just outside in general?

I'm sure there will be an anti-glare screen made available soon after launch, but I mostly read indoors, and if I plan on reading outside on a bright, sunny day, I will just take my kindle e-ink. It's still cheaper than your standard tablet if you get both.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
most for the e-reader (LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

If you want to read mostly, the Kindle or Kindle Touch are better options (The Touch has more options, but costs another 20 bucks). Those eReader Kindles batteries last a long time and the eInk is supposed to be better on your eyes.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Because I wanted a media device and it fit the bill, especially price-wise.

Also, one thing I've said for awhile is that I don't just want a jumbo version of my phone. That's why I've never liked iPads or most of the other Android tablets. I have a 4.3 inch Android phone, why do I want another one that's a few inches bigger that can't make calls? The Fire is just different enough, but still with Android, to feel like a different device, yet still provide me with what I want in a tablet.

Tortan

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I never find myself reading outside with my nook. Beach? Pool? Sand and water don't mix well with electronics. Now I do read at night, in bed. With a back lit, non e-ink, I don't have to have on another light which would keep the wife awake. Just my 2 cents.

gus6464

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Because my ipad is too big sometimes and it annoys me if I am just trying to read a book. A fire and a MacBook air is perfect for me. I could care less about a camera on a tablet since I have a tablet and my work pays for a mobile hotspot so don't need embedded 3g. GPS and gyro is also pointless for me.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
At $199, I might pick a few up for my nieces and nephews for Christmas presents. That truly is an awesome price!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

droidbio

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I wanted an ereader that could do more. I also wanted web browsing and video. I also wanted 7inch screen so I could hold with one hand and price was an issue. Looked at htc but was tooooo expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

rkhaudio

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I purchased it for my 14 year old girl for Christmas. Cheap and fairly powerful for the price. I don't have a problem with no camera, no sd slot, hacking the os, etc. She will love the color, ebooks, web browser and email function, along with playing games is a bonus. She is already a fan of Amazon and she makes a lot of purchases there with gift cards, just makes it that much more easy. If she can connect to facebook (which I'm sure she will be able to) it will be the perfect device for her and I won't have to buy a iPad. Her music is all portable in her phone already, so no need to go there. Gets her closer to the Android system and further away from expensive apple products...

thetruth1983

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I ordered as soon as it went live. I have been seriously considering canceling my preorder since there are so many unknowns with the device. One thing that really irks me about the device is the max storage of 8gb. I know that may be a lot of storage for some people but I think that I could fill that up pretty quickly. There are IOS games that are over half a gig in storage. I also don't like the fact the android market won't be available.

I'm starting to believe that the 7 inch $299 HTC flyer may turn out to be a better deal. It has 2 cameras (which everyone claims they don't need), bluetooth, access to both the amazon and google markets, and 16GB memory (expandable to 48GB). It may be possible that Amazon has a ace up their sleeve so I am not canceling just yet.

helmutk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm a gadget freak. I have the IPAD 1st gen. Gave it to my wife. Then got the Motorola Xoom. Now want a smaller tablet. Pre-ordered the Amazon Fire....pre-ordered the Lenovo IdeaPad A1. Can't wait to get them and decide which one to keep....or which two to keep. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21