from Amazon specs page:
    "Wi-Fi Connectivity Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or 802.1X standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks. "

So, can the KF be tethered to android phones via wifi hotspot?

thanks in advance
    10-04-2011 10:33 PM
    That probably just means it can't do WiFi Direct for file transfers between Android devices (Something Android phones can use as an alternative to Bluetooth file sharing). A wifi hotspot works just like a regular wifi Access Point, so unless it's not compatible with your particular phones hotspot method (Which can happen but is rare and there is no way to know without testing) it should be fine.
    10-05-2011 11:32 AM
    Verizon hot spot is Infrastructure mode not ad hoc. Also Wifi Tether latest beta will do infrastructure mode as well. Both of these work well with my Samsung Fascinate and either HP laptop or Nook Color running CM7.
    --bill
    10-07-2011 03:00 AM
    Most mobile hotspots on phones do infrastructure instead of adhoc.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk
    10-07-2011 07:25 PM
    The new Nexus Prime is said to have an ad-hock mode! I'm not sure as it's not out yet if this will enable data transfer similar to BT.
    10-29-2011 08:13 AM
    Im running apex on my droid 2 and im having a problem getting a nook colorto re ognize. Any answers?
    11-08-2011 08:52 PM
    Kindle Fire WILL NOT support mobile hot spot connections.
    11-12-2011 09:07 PM
    Kindle Fire WILL NOT support mobile hot spot connections.
    If it uses WIFI, how can it not support (wrong word) hot spots? Am I missing something?

A hotspot emits a WIFI signal.
    11-12-2011 09:12 PM
    It will support official hotspot software, not the ad hoc type. Had the same problem setting up the Nook I bought for my mom last year. Couldn't get it to connect to wireless tether hotspot. No problems with the official Verizon hotspot.
    11-13-2011 08:18 AM
    If it uses WIFI, how can it not support (wrong word) hot spots? Am I missing something?

A hotspot emits a WIFI signal.
    The Fire can connect to a Hotspot (like at Starbucks or McDonalds) but will not be able to run a hotspot itself. It can also connect to a phone running a Hotspot or Wireless Tether (that uses phone's data to emit a WiFi signal).
    11-14-2011 01:47 PM
    The Fire can connect to a Hotspot (like at Starbucks or McDonalds) but will not be able to run a hotspot itself. It can also connect to a phone running a Hotspot or Wireless Tether (that uses phone's data to emit a WiFi signal).
    That's what I thought. I'm going to get a MIFI, but I now can tether to my PC using PdaNet.
    11-14-2011 02:02 PM
    Yes, it will connect to a cellphone hotspot, no problems.

This is something I don't get about the endless reviews making a huge deal about the fact the Fire doesn't have built in 3g. I DON'T WANT freaking built-in 3g and the accompanying extra monthly charge when I have a perfectly good 4g data connection on my phone. (Nor do I want or need a camera, microphone, gps, gyro and on and on and on. Just because the ipad has them, it doesn't make the Fire, or the Nook Tablet, less of an alternative) Rant over.
    11-15-2011 09:03 AM
    Yes, it will connect to a cellphone hotspot, no problems.

This is something I don't get about the endless reviews making a huge deal about the fact the Fire doesn't have built in 3g. I DON'T WANT freaking built-in 3g and the accompanying extra monthly charge when I have a perfectly good 4g data connection on my phone. (Nor do I want or need a camera, microphone, gps, gyro and on and on and on. Just because the ipad has them, it doesn't make the Fire, or the Nook Tablet, less of an alternative) Rant over.
    Those things I want, but when will they make a WIFI tablet with a USB port that you can use a USB data stick! That's what I want to know?
    11-15-2011 11:59 AM
    So far I'm unable to get the KFire to see the ad-hoc hotspot being beaconed by my TBolt using Barnacle WiFi Tether. My laptop sees the ad-hoc network fine though.
    11-16-2011 02:49 PM
    Using the SQLEditor method it works fine for me, just tested it.
    11-16-2011 03:41 PM
    Using the SQLEditor method it works fine for me, just tested it.
    Can you elaborate ? Is this a setting within Barnacle Tether, or something else all together ? I'm not finding anything else in this thread mentioning SQLEditor.
    11-16-2011 03:58 PM
    Fire connects to Verizon galaxy tab hotspot well for me. Games work great on fire. 3d brick breaker, boulder dash, xplane.. no issues with touchscreen.
    11-19-2011 11:19 AM
    Can you elaborate ? Is this a setting within Barnacle Tether, or something else all together ? I'm not finding anything else in this thread mentioning SQLEditor.
    Obviously don't know how universal it is, works on my Bionic though:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/dro...ring-hack.html
    11-21-2011 11:40 AM
    It works on a mobile hotspot. I have mine connected to a Verizon Mifi hotspot I have at work right now and it works great. I have also connected it to my Samsung Epic 4g using the hotspot and it worked fine.
    11-21-2011 12:20 PM
    People are getting confused as in Wi-Fi types. Yes the K-fire connects to a wifi signal but only in an infrastructure mode such as a hot spot such as your home router, mifi device, McD's, starbucks, etc etc. Will not connect via Wifi in ad-hoc mode such as a smartphone wifi tether apps such as barnacle or Wifi tether. Some apps will let you use infratructure mode but on Verizon it will require you to sign into a Verizon hot spot account if you have one.
    11-21-2011 11:17 PM
    People are getting confused as in Wi-Fi types. Yes the K-fire connects to a wifi signal but only in an infrastructure mode such as a hot spot such as your home router, mifi device, McD's, starbucks, etc etc. Will not connect via Wifi in ad-hoc mode such as a smartphone wifi tether apps such as barnacle or Wifi tether. Some apps will let you use infratructure mode but on Verizon it will require you to sign into a Verizon hot spot account if you have one.
    Again... depends on what WiFi hotspot software you are using.

As I've said, mine works fine using the SQLEditor/Wifi modification without signing in on my Droid Bionic. The Fire runs off this without issue.
    11-22-2011 08:46 AM
    What its this mod that you speak of? Any links?
    11-22-2011 09:07 AM

Quoting it from what I posted on Page 2. I'm not sure how the method works on other phones, but works without issue on my Bionic:

Obviously don't know how universal it is, works on my Bionic though:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/dro...ring-hack.html
    11-22-2011 12:11 PM
    He obviously doesn't know, but you can do a Google search for it. There is even a 3 day old blog article that has a You Tube of how easy it is.

But please don't come back and want me to re-search for it.
    11-22-2011 02:11 PM
    Mine connects fine to my Droid X running SSX2.2 using wireless tether.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    11-22-2011 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD