Turn Your Kindle Fire Into A Full Fledged Android Tablet

jldoom

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was waiting for, thought I would of had to wait longer though lol, nice. More and more I'm leaning towards this just because of the price.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Go Launcher works without root. I loaded it up and set up a more conventional Android home screen arrangement. There's an icon in the app drawer that lets you bring back the stock Kindle launcher.

Sent using Tapatalk

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Very cool. I just wish Amazon would let me install Fancy Widgets, so I could add some widgets to it. I assume if any apps you've already bought from Amazon don't show up in your "Apps" screen on the Fire, it means they're not "compatible" with the Fire? I've gotten around 70-ish apps from Amazon on my phone, but only about 37 show up on my Kindle Fire. I can't even find the other ones on the market by searching. Hm.

Also, does anyone know how to get wallpapers to stay on, when applied in Go Launcher? Every time I "lock" my Fire, and then wake it up, it automatically applies the lock screen wallpaper as my Go Launcher wallpaper, then I have to manually change it back... Kinda annoying, yanno?

Last edited:

jimroeder

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Very cool. I just wish Amazon would let me install Fancy Widgets, so I could add some widgets to it. I assume if any apps you've already bought from Amazon don't show up in your "Apps" screen on the Fire, it means they're not "compatible" with the Fire? I've gotten around 70-ish apps from Amazon on my phone, but only about 37 show up on my Kindle Fire. I can't even find the other ones on the market by searching. Hm.

Also, does anyone know how to get wallpapers to stay on, when applied in Go Launcher? Every time I "lock" my Fire, and then wake it up, it automatically applies the lock screen wallpaper as my Go Launcher wallpaper, then I have to manually change it back... Kinda annoying, yanno?

I haven't figured out the wallpaper thing yet either, as I was hoping to get it to stay like yourself. However, I was able to get Fancy Widgets on there by pulling it off my phone and then placing it on the Kindle (I did it by hooking both up to the PC by USB, but I would presume you could email it to yourself). I then used File Expert to browse to the file on the Kindle and hit install.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep worked flawlessly here.

Only thing is the home screen switcher didn't seem to lock my default home screen. Every time I would select home I'd still get asked which I wanted. THat had an ability to set default, so I set that to go launcher... then found there wasn't a setting to undo this (my gf prefers the amazon launcher). But if you close the app for go launcher it then asks you if you want to clear the setting, and that properly does this.

The icons seem really small for their spacing in go launcher.

ipadaltkc

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
So you can modify the kindle tablet fire into what the i-pad offers then? More apps and more ways to load more apps is that correct? I'm curious because I'm debating on either getting this or just going with the i-pad for that reason that it has less stipulations or restrictions.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Be careful when installing Go Launcher EX. Make sure that you are using the latest version.

I accidentally installed an older version and it locked the device up (rapidly writing exception messages to its log file). Only manually going in via ADB and deleting the app saved my KF from the brickyard.

Use care!

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
So you can modify the kindle tablet fire into what the i-pad offers then? More apps and more ways to load more apps is that correct? I'm curious because I'm debating on either getting this or just going with the i-pad for that reason that it has less stipulations or restrictions.

If you are willing to pay the price for a iPad but want the flexability of the Android Tablets you should look at getting the Asus Transformer Prime that's coming out next month. The Fire is not going to make you happy if you are thinking iPad like performance and usability. I'm very happy with mine but I was fully aware of what I was buying when I made my purchase. Plus I knew it was going to be rooted quickly giving me the ability to extend the range of use. If you like to tinker or are willing to live within Amazons Eco system then you may be happy. If you do not fall into either of those catagories then look at getting the Prime or just get the iPad.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

ipadaltkc

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been hearing that the Go Launcher EX will allow you to download more apps but it still won't allow certain 3rd party apps to be installed on the kindle tablet fire. Is anyone having any problems with certain 3rd party apps when using the Go Launcher or have all restrictions for loading 3rd party apps been lifted once it is installed.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been hearing that the Go Launcher EX will allow you to download more apps but it still won't allow certain 3rd party apps to be installed on the kindle tablet fire. Is anyone having any problems with certain 3rd party apps when using the Go Launcher or have all restrictions for loading 3rd party apps been lifted once it is installed.

Loading Go Launcher will let you use a launcher with the standard Android look instead of the custom Kindle launcher. The thread below has instructions on how to root and install the Google Market, which will give you access to apps not available in the Amazon App store. Keep in mind that rooting breaks Amazon Prime video streaming but it's pretty easy to unroot.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=135015

Sent using Tapatalk

ipadaltkc

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you happen to know if you can integrate the I-pad or Tablet Fire with your TV? Another words can you use it kind of like a TV controller so to speak?I know you can do some programming with these devices I just don't know what the limitations are and would like to know before buying one.

JesseMT4G

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Just download getjar app and don't need APK's nor hooking in via USB to the computer. Been using a lot of Andriod apps that the Amazon app store don't have. Have go launcher, Nook app and beautiful widgets....even beweather, which was a nice BB app.

Love getjar!

Sent from I am on Fire!