[How-to] Root the Kindle Fire and Install the Android Market

huskermania

Jun 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MznlZoDvQWU[/YT]

Hey everyone, I created this how-to video demonstrating how to root the Kindle Fire and Install the Android Market. At the end of the video, I show how to unroot the device in case you want to do that. It is 30 minutes long, but I go through every step. If you're new to rooting or nervous about the process, I'd give it a look.

Kuroth

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi... Thanks for the great Video.. It was really helpful to a Noob like myself new to all this..

But I still have some Noob questions on this whole Root thing..(About If or why I should do it)

1. From reading (And even a topic here in this forum) once I root the fire there will be things on the Amazon side I will no longer be able to do??? Unless I unroot. Like watch Amazon Prime movies is one I heard...What exactly will I NOT be able to do while the Fire is rooted that I normally could do???? I need to be clear in my mind on this before I decide to Root or not. I am not a hacker but just want to be able to Expand the Apps I can get for my Fire..

2. Can I root, Purchase the Apps I want from the Android store, then using oneClick unroot thus giving me full use AND I can also use my new Andriod Apps too? So in my case for what I want to do.. Do I just root when I want something I cant get in the Amazon App store and then unroot etc???? And do this whenever I want something from the Android store?

3. Looks like You can no longer get Go Launch and Root in the Amazon App store so..

I have
GO_Launcher_EX_V2.65.apk

and

Root Explorer (File Manager) Full v2.17.1.apk

That I D/L off the net and its on my PC.. Can I just transfer these to the Fire??? And if so, How exactly(What Steps)

Thanks again and sorry for all my Noob questions... I am learning..

LittleJoe

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, the main thing you cannot do when rooted is the video streaming.

I rooted my Fire, installed the Android Market and got Swype working and did a few other things, and then unrooted the phone. Swype and the Market continue to work fine, and since the Fire is not rooted now, the video streaming works as well :)

To transfer from the PC to the Fire (also called "sideloading"):
1. attach the Fire to the PC with a USB cable
2. use File Manager to copy the desired APKs from the PC to the "download" folder on the Fire
3. disconnect the Fire from the PC
4. use the "ES File Manager" app (available from the Amazon Appstore on your Fire) to open the "download" folder
5. tap to select the desired APK and select the "Install" option

:)

cookooclock

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having issues once I get to the step where I need to update my Kindle's Driver Software. When I try to select android_winusb I get the error message that I should make sure that the driver is designed to work with x64-based systems.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
AFAIK, the main thing you cannot do when rooted is the video streaming.

I rooted my Fire, installed the Android Market and got Swype working and did a few other things, and then unrooted the phone. Swype and the Market continue to work fine, and since the Fire is not rooted now, the video streaming works as well :)

To transfer from the PC to the Fire (also called "sideloading"):
1. attach the Fire to the PC with a USB cable
2. use File Manager to copy the desired APKs from the PC to the "download" folder on the Fire
3. disconnect the Fire from the PC
4. use the "ES File Manager" app (available from the Amazon Appstore on your Fire) to open the "download" folder
5. tap to select the desired APK and select the "Install" option

:)

the only streaming that is broken on the rooted fire is the amazon prime video streaming, which is a bummer but its only a month trial.. something I wouldnt of purchased anyhow.

hulu plus and netflix work fine with root.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
the only streaming that is broken on the rooted fire is the amazon prime video streaming, which is a bummer but its only a month trial.. something I wouldnt of purchased anyhow.

hulu plus and netflix work fine with root.

My kindle is rooted and has the custom CM7 ROM. I can watch Prime video via the browser by setting the user agent to linux desktop.

jayman350

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
2. Can I root, Purchase the Apps I want from the Android store, then using oneClick unroot thus giving me full use AND I can also use my new Andriod Apps too? So in my case for what I want to do.. Do I just root when I want something I cant get in the Amazon App store and then unroot etc???? And do this whenever I want something from the Android store?

I was wondering this as well. Does unrooting revoke access that the SU app would have? So if I am unrooted I would not be able to run something like Titanium Backup or Root Explorer even if I have granted su access to these apps before the unrooting process?

I am seriously considering rooting my KF, but I don't want to lose streaming for amazon prime and it seems like a pain to have to unroot whenever I want to stream videos.

Right now I'm fine w/ Amazon's UI, I just miss having access to the market. Is there a way to use Amazon streaming video on a custom rom? (assuming same deal of having to unroot to use it)

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering this as well. Does unrooting revoke access that the SU app would have? So if I am unrooted I would not be able to run something like Titanium Backup or Root Explorer even if I have granted su access to these apps before the unrooting process?

I am seriously considering rooting my KF, but I don't want to lose streaming for amazon prime and it seems like a pain to have to unroot whenever I want to stream videos.

Right now I'm fine w/ Amazon's UI, I just miss having access to the market. Is there a way to use Amazon streaming video on a custom rom? (assuming same deal of having to unroot to use it)

I watch Amazon streaming VOD in the browser by setting the user agent to linux desktop. It is a few more steps to get there, but it works. I'm running a rooted Fire with TWRP recovery, CM7 ROM by whistlestop. Full Google apps, market, contacts, calendar, Ti backup.

mdotsteele

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Jayman you can unroot and still keep access to the android market. I plan on doing it so I can use my prime trial and then root again when it expires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol