Like most of us, I've purchased most of my Android apps on the Market. If I bought a Kindle Fire, I'd want to use a lot of those apps on it. Is there any way to get them on there without rooting or mods? No way am I re-buying them from the Amazon Appstore.

Sent via VM670
    11-30-2011 11:57 AM
    I have only done this with 1 paid app, Read it Later Pro and it works. This method will work for pretty much all free apps.

1. Download the file manager app ASTRO, on your phone.
    2. using the ASTRO app, backup the application. this will create an .apk of your app.
    3. email the app, or use dropbox, or copy over the .apk to your kindle fire.
    4. press and install the .apk. it should work.

if the app needs access to features that the kindle does not have, GPS, bluetooth, microphone, etc, there is possibility the app install might not work.

Also, i believe some paid apps that use the android market for legal authentication might not work. Also some apples that use you google account for authentication might not work (such as all the google default apps)
    1gridlok2 likes this.
    11-30-2011 12:25 PM
    Seems odd to release a product running on a Google OS, yet exclude and outright block Google services.

It's definitely a possible deal breaker for me.

Sent via VM670
    11-30-2011 01:01 PM
    Seems odd to release a product running on a Google OS, yet exclude and outright block Google services.

It's definitely a possible deal breaker for me.

Sent via VM670
    Well, they have licensed the open source OS android and are following all the open source rules. I know Google "makes" android, but they do not "own" android, it is open source. Google services such as mail, market, maps, etc are closed source and are not a part of the open source android OS.

Google uses access to its services a club to get many android device OEM to conform to its rules (such as using gps through google services rather than another company (Samsung got in trouble with Google for using another company Skyhook, for GPS rather than Google).

Amazon doesn't not need a Google app market, or maps, or mail, so they don't need to jump through the Google's hoops to get their device to market. All they need to do is release source code if they license it.

Also Amazon does not mention that the Kindle Fire is an android device at all in any of its marketing or descriptions. They are very careful to not mention that the base is android, or that it runs android apps.
    11-30-2011 01:43 PM
    The easiest method I have used to get market contact to the kindle fire is by using Frostwire. I downloaded the apk from the amazon app store on both my phone and kf. Now after installing the app start it up and use it over wifi make a name for each device. You should now see all the apps from your phone on the kf in the app tab. Now all you have to do is download them to your kf. Some apps may not run due to architecture and compatibility but most of my 100+ apps are up and running on my kf.
    grvthang and itsrayray like this.
    12-03-2011 05:38 PM
    The easiest method I have used to get market contact to the kindle fire is by using Frostwire. I downloaded the apk from the amazon app store on both my phone and kf. Now after installing the app start it up and use it over wifi make a name for each device. You should now see all the apps from your phone on the kf in the app tab. Now all you have to do is download them to your kf. Some apps may not run due to architecture and compatibility but most of my 100+ apps are up and running on my kf.
    I was just checking this app out - pretty cool. Thanks!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    12-07-2011 05:18 PM
    Thanks for this. I'm getting one for my wife and this right here sealed the deal.

Sent from your mom's phone.
    12-07-2011 05:23 PM
    Holy cow! Thanks for the info on Frostwire!

12-07-2011 05:50 PM
    Funny - I downloaded Frostwire on my phone using Amazon Appstore; I searched for it first in the Android Market, and it wasn't there. That's the first time I've seen an app be available in the Amazon App store but not the Android Market (usually it's the other way around).

12-07-2011 08:42 PM
    I am a noob and can you further elaborate on this. Is apk a file? I know about frostwire but what should I download from frostwire and what from amazon app store?
    12-07-2011 10:04 PM
    OMG Frostwire is the best ever!!! I'm so glad I found this App Thanks guys!! I have my Crackle It's on!
    12-26-2011 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD