Kindle fire buyers remorse

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Eh... I don't hate my Kindle, or anything like that. I like having a tablet-like device while only having spent $200. I'm just finding myself a bit envious of actual tablets that offer more of an "Android" experience rather than an "Amazon" one. I'll probably be happier with it once CM7 (and/ or CM9) are released for it, but I'm just finding myself becoming more and more impatient waiting for that to happen, lol.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Kindle Fire meets my current tablet needs. Would like HDMI out and SD card. I would like to see CM9 on it, but that will only happen after I have the next gen Amazon Tablet. Not worried about rooting right now as I've been able side Market apps that are not in Amazon's Appstore. I've been a Amazon Prime member for years. AKF allows me to stream free video away from my computer. I'm using that a lot more than I expected.Funny how Nook has more internal store, but less of it is usable. Sure I would love to have Tegra3 tablet, but can't justify a truck payment.... And losing access to Amazon content..... I can hope next Amazon Tablet will be Tegra3 powered....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm 100% happy with mine. Love the size and dont find myself needing the larger 10" size of the bigger tablets.

So far I also like the Amazon "ecosystem". I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon - other than all the books, movies and music I buy lol - so I find I'm using it a lot.

Plus the price cant be beat.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my Kindle Fire. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, have had Prime membership for years, and own a second-gen Kindle. I knew the limitations of the Fire going in, but it works well for consuming content from Amazon, which was why I got it.

I also rooted my Kindle Fire and loaded the Google Market along with a bunch of my Market apps, including Google Music. It's nice to be able to stream my entire music collection from the cloud.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy with my Kindle Fire but I'm still looking for a "real" Android tablet around this size. Kindle is great for Amazon books and video - though it would be nice if you could DL a movie for watching offline. It's not great for web and communications. For under $200 I have no regrets.

helmutk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the Fire but also picked up a Lenovo Ideapad A1 7" tablet when they had a special pre-release offer for $199. It seems to be going for $249 now at Lenovo. It has 16GB storage and 512MB RAM, microSD slot, front and rear cameras, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and runs Gingerbread 2.3. It only has a 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU but seems to run fairly smooth. I have streamed Netflix and Amazon prime videos fine but have not yet tried any downloaded videos. I really like it and I like the Fire and have a hard time deciding if I will keep both or not.
If you need a more powerful 7" tablet you probably have to spend another $200 or so for something like the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus. I suspect we'll see more full featured 7" tablets with Android 4.0 within the next 6 months that are $300 or cheaper.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I liked my KF when I first got it, but I always felt it was just lacking features in a tablet that I wanted like being able to use my bluetooth headphones or using an sd card. I ended up giving the Fire to my girlfriend and buying an 8gb Acer A500 for $229. Maybe if CM9 is released for the Kindle Fire I'd use it again, but currently its just not for me.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I have had 2 iPad 2 one white and one black I do find that the 9.7" is too bulky but I love the iOS platform so smooth and powerful a6 chip but then I also had the bb play book and that sucks ass lol but I love my kindle I rooted it have the honeycomb theme with go launcher and did the live wallpaper mod so I have a static wallpaper no more random changing wallpaper and this thing is fire plus I paid $123.88 at Walmart so I can't complain.

AZBrowncoat

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Torn about keeping the Kindle Fire...

I currently have a 1st Gen iPad and HP Touchpad.

I like the 7" form factor for some uses as it is more portable than my larger tablets.

What I like so far about the Kindle Fire:
  • $200 price tag (nice device for the price)
  • 7" form factor (more portable)
  • Access to lots of "Free" content included with Prime membership.
  • Access to Amazon Android Market (always nice to have alternatives to iOS Apps)
  • Amazon Cloud Integration (I like the Cloud/Device buttons on most screens...I have quite a few Amazon MP3s purchased from Amazon but not downloaded - I like the implementaion)

What I DON'T like so far about the Kindle Fire:
  • No access to the 'Google Android Market' without rooting (that I am aware of).
  • The annoying 'Carousel' on the home page (can't delete items and it is sometimes difficult to get the correct item to the forefront...keeps skipping past for some reason).
  • Amazon Prime Videos are streaming only...I'd rather cache to the device to watch offline when not at home.
  • Only 8Gb of storage (~6Gb available) and no way to easily extend that.
  • Only 512Mb of ram (might have issues with more demanding Apps/Games
  • No Bluetooth (no keyboards, no bluetooth headsets...)

I'm really wondering about getting a different 7" tablet instead like the Lenovo A1...but I do (for the most part) like the Amazon implementation of Android and how much they worked to integrate it with their cloud services.

I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to take a different off-the-shelf tablet and tweak it to work as nicely with Amazon's services.

Last edited:

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my first tablet and I honestly love it. GoLauncher and side loading have saved the experience for me. Only wish it got 3G (but then I wouldn't pay for it anyway).
--
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk.

taipan61

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
so far i'm really enjoying the fire, didn't go into it looking for a full tablet experience, knew it was limited from the getgo. but it is first and foremost a kindle
and that's what it's main purpose is for me, a book reader with backlighting and easy web access
have an iPad, returned my Nook (more limiting than the fire w/o rooting it), had a Zoom (gave it to a family member) etc etc
of course i've added golauncher and have sideloaded apps (ok the 1gb for apps only is a bit of a letdown) but won't be returning it, once you've personalized it the fire is a good piece of equipment
just my .02

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you sideload books on a kindle fire ? and how?
Yes. You can either copy them over with the Fire attached to a computer like USB drive or use Calibre (free epub conversation program) to transfer them. One beef I have with the Fire is the way Amazon doesn't have alternate, FREE, reader programs available for epubs or comics. I had to use GetJar to find a few things and load the Nook For Android app to read some of my epubs. (This was before I found Calibre which can convert them into native Kindle format.) While it's a dicky move, it's not as if the Nook (I'm presuming) reads Kindle books. Everyone is trying to lock in their customers to their ecosystems from Apple on out.