1. Aaron C#AC's Avatar
    (this is a repost for the nook forum, but want Fire users opinions as well!!!)

    Ok
    I am looking at getting either the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire for my wife. She is 100% non technical, and will NOT care about anything other than:
    reading (currently using aldiko on an android phone)
    facebook
    some web browsing
    maybe some movie watching

    Now that being said, I have 2 android phones (rooted) an HD2 running android for the kids to play games on, and an android tablet (rooted Acer 500). All that is to say I like to play with the devices and I like to do more than intended!

    Here is what I have found so far in my research:

    Both can be rooted. What is lost with root?
    (I have seen that you can not "rent" video on the Fire if rooted)

    Can you sideload apps without root on either device?
    (Most likely will continue to use Aldiko as primary reader if I can sideload)

    Given that we are not married to Amazon's ecosystem (most books we read are free, or sideloaded from other sources). I was leaning toward the Fire, but the lack of SD slot makes me hesitate. The cost on the Nook is keeping me from going there 100%.

    To break it down another way figure that 70% of the time the stock non-rooted device will be fine, but the other 30% of the time, I will have it and want to "play"

    Please provide any info that will help me decide.
    12-07-2011 11:35 AM
  2. NotJustAPhone's Avatar
    Apps can be sideloaded without rooting. I sideloaded Aldiko onto my Kindle Fire and it works fine.

    Rooting isn't difficult. As you noted it breaks the Amazon video streaming service, but you can use a program like OTA Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot to watch Amazon videos.

    Sent using Tapatalk
    12-07-2011 11:59 AM
  3. WillysJeepMan's Avatar
    Having owned both (nook color and kindle fire and still own it) I have been recommending the Kindle Fire for those who are non-techie. Out-of-the-box, the KF is a terrific device. Apps and media can be sideloaded without rooting. I can't think of a compelling reason to root it at this point in time. Although I own an iPad2, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Kindle Fire.
    12-07-2011 01:19 PM
  4. Aaron C#AC's Avatar
    how is video on both compare....this would be local avi (not even 720P) via rockplayer or Dice?
    any info on that?
    12-07-2011 01:38 PM
  5. tohio's Avatar
    According to reviewers the Kindle Fire out performs the Nook tablet in the sound department:

    Sound

    "There’s no comparison between the accurate, loud, and rich stereo speakers that sit on the short right side of the Kindle Fire and the distorted, clock radio-like speaker on the back of the Nook Tablet. When we tried playing music and movies on the Fire, sound was loud enough to fill a room and good enough to replace a low-end stereo. The only problem with sound on the Kindle Fire is that the device lacks physical volume buttons."

    Face-Off: Amazon Kindle Fire vs. Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet
    12-07-2011 05:06 PM
  6. sk102704's Avatar
    I was trying to decide between the two myself for gifts and after checking them both out I went with the Fire. In fact I got 3 of them. One for my sister and one for each of my parents. Both looked like great devices for the price but I didn't feel like the Nook was that much better for the extra $50. Plus the Fire looked easier to use since my family isn't the most technical bunch. I know they will be ecstatic with them. Good luck with your decision.
    12-07-2011 08:18 PM
  7. elamb23's Avatar
    I can tell you my wife is not tech savy at all but can pick up my Kindle fire and has zero issues using it.
    12-08-2011 06:16 AM
  8. tungsten's Avatar
    Can you sideload books and how please
    12-18-2011 05:28 AM
  9. bada.bing's Avatar
    Sideloading really refers to adding "non-standard" applications.
    For books I just copy them to the books folder using USB. Note: Amazon books are copy protected so you'll need to use the Kindle reader/account or unprotect using calibre (assuming you own them).

    sideloading
    How to Sideload Apps On The Kindle Fire
    12-18-2011 12:40 PM
  10. drjpreston's Avatar
    I use Calibre to side load my books onto my KF. It works well with the latest updates. You can use USB connection or transfer via something like dropbox by Wifi
    12-19-2011 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD