Installing to SD

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
In AndroExplorer, the Fire seems to be partitioned like a regular Android device (ie My Device, SD card, etc). Since the Fire only has so much space for apps, would it be possible to install apps to the "SD card" partition to increase app space? If so, what would you use to do this?
--
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk.

JesseMT4G

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
There is no SD slot for a card, so no where to try and put the apps. Those file apps are in general, so would seem like you could do it, but you cant.

Sent from I am on Fire!

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I know there is no SD card, but there seems to be a partition set up like one.
--
Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk.

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just moved all of my apps to the sd partition and it works perfectly fine. I did use titanium backup to move the apps since I am rooted, but I don't know if root is necessary in order to move apps to sd or not but it certainly seems to work fine once they are moved.

grvthang

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it makes a hell of a lot of difference - I don't think you're restricted in how much of the memory you can use towards apps. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use the whole 6.54 Gb (or whatever it is) towards apps.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I assumed as much as well, but I keep getting the notification that I am running out of app space.
--
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk.

grvthang

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I just read on another thread that 1GB is dedicated to apps; if that's the case, and you want to exceed the 1GB, I guess there's your answer!

kernelsandirs#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
search the app store for App2SD and download one of the free app to sd apps and see if it works for you, I don't think root is needed.

Edit
the one by "Innodroid" did not work
Gemini needed root
starting look like root is needed after all :-(

I would certainly suggest rooting to anyone wanting more control over the device anyway, and it does not take long at all.

I was running low on space, had less than 200MB for app storage once I moved all the apps I have about 1GB in both SD and App storage.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000