06-11-2013 05:15 AM
47 12
tools
    someone who already has a kindle and a galaxy tab.. isnt exactly who should be buying a fire anyhow.
    Perhaps. I'm happy Amazon is making a great, affordable tablet for the masses. It's about time someone did! Secretly I'm hoping they steal some of the limelight away from Apple and it seems they are to an extent. Also, Amazon is playing it smart by keeping stock apps on the Fire in their own little realm, like Apple does, by forcing owners to buy exclusively from them thus returning the money back to Amazon's pockets. Smart.
    12-24-2011 03:07 PM
    Keeping mine. It is actually more of a tablet than I expected -- I thought it would be an "Amazon device" with half-baked tablet features. I was pleasantly surprised that it is pretty robust and runs the apps I use, even though i had to sideload some.

Sure, lots of room for improvement, but it's an excellent "consumption" device and complete enough that I don't have a strong desire to root or tweak it. Yet...
    12-26-2011 11:23 AM
    Honestly, it's only a few bucks more than most ereaders. It's a dirt cheap tablet, but it doesn't FEEL dirt cheap. 7 inches is ideal for reading, and it has a really solid heft to it. Yeah the iPad is better in a LOT of ways, but it's more than twice the cost and is unwieldly to read with. I got the Kindle Fire with my expectations in check. I got it to read books, surf the web, and play games and music on. I can do all of that on my rooted Kindle Fire with no problems. 200 is the sweet spot for tablets for me. The iPad doesn't do ENOUGH to justify the laptop price in my mind, and the same goes for the Tab, etc. They are wicked nice tablets, but they are too pricey. In my hierarchy I have my PC for gaming and serious tasks, my laptop for lesser tasks and mobile usage, and then I have my Kindle Fire to keep with me on all times to fill in the rest and my Galaxy Nexus for everything on the go. An iPad would be lost in my hierarchy, so the Kindle Fire is perfect for my expectations. The people giving it bad reviews have different expectations is all.
    JesseMT4G likes this.
    12-26-2011 10:04 PM
    its not the easiest thing ever.. but rooting the kindle and putting cyanogenmod 7 and android market on it make this piece of hardware much nicer!

I just cant wait for cyanogenmod 9.. because ICS is much more fit for a tablet then 2.3 is.. ICS having on screen buttons is perfect because the kindle doesnt have hardware buttons like a phone.

But as far as CM7.. it works really well.. Ive got my fiance's kindle with cm7 loaded with a bunch of apps and her favorites like gmail, google music, and hulu plus are all working great.

I figured the kindle fire would be good because she isnt very techy and its got an easy layout.. but imo the kindles UI is just terrible.. putting cyanogenmod on this thing feels like a 200 dollar upgrade.
    12-27-2011 12:17 PM
    Is CM7 fully functional? The only thing that I'd be upset about is losing amazon prime streaming.
    12-27-2011 02:13 PM
    I just got a kindle fire for Christmas, and although it's no Galaxy Tab, for the price you couldn't ask for more. My only real complaint was the interface, but thanks to a simple Kindle rooting tool, I was rocking Cyanogenmod 7 in no time. Now it's everything I wanted in a tablet (except ICS) but at just over half the price of a Tab.

Sent from my Kindle Fire
    12-27-2011 08:01 PM
    someone who already has a kindle and a galaxy tab.. isnt exactly who should be buying a fire anyhow.
    I have a Glaxy Tab 10.1 and the Kindle Fire. And I use them both; the Fire is my traveling companion, the Tab I use at home. Is the Fire perfect? No, but I'm happy with it for what I use it for.
    12-27-2011 08:28 PM
    Is CM7 fully functional? The only thing that I'd be upset about is losing amazon prime streaming.
    I have a fire, and thus the free prime streaming, and my impression is that the selection is poor compared to netflix. And you can get netflix on any Android device, of course.

The Amazon video player is pretty nice, but other than that I'm realizing that it really doesn't offer anything that any Android tablet doesn't already have.

Also, the Netflix app on it is buggy. You can download movies for offline viewing, but unlike every other online rental service I've used (such as android market movies on my phone), your 24 hour watch period starts when you DOWNLOAD the movie not when you actually start viewing it (very annoying if you want to load up for when you are away from wifi, eg a trip). I have to rebuy a lot of Android apps I love (perhaps I can find the apks and sideload?). The keyboard is terrible after being used to SwiftKey.

Some of these things I knew going in, but either actually experiencing them in real usage or the preponderance of them has made them more annoying than anticipated.

So, while I sort of like my Fire so far (3 days), I'm really wondering if I'm still going to be using it in a month or if I'll just be doing everything on my phone again. Or very possibly, running ICS.

My two cents.
    12-28-2011 12:28 PM
    My wife & I just got one free when we bought her car yesterday. She won't put it down & after messing around with it for a few hours myself, I know why. The size is just perfect for the stuff we do on Amazon (prime, app store, books, music). For $200 retail, and especially for free, this is amazing.
    12-28-2011 03:20 PM
    I am keeping my fire. It does everything I want, especially since I sideloaded the nook app and have access to my hundreds of books. I also use ADW Launcher to get that android feel and customization. I was already a prime member so this was a perfect compliment for me at the price point. The nook tablet and blackberry playbook were my other choices but I finally decided on the fire and I am very happy with my choice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    01-03-2012 08:44 PM
    I have read countless articles complain about KF usability, so I was wondering anyone actually jumping ship? Or (according to cnet) Re-gifting your KF. I am quite satisfied with my user experience and will only be more pleased by the soon to come update.
    I've had several problems with the browser not displaying and navigating pages properly. Both the stock Silk browser and I'm rooted and installed Dolphin.

I think it's just unrefined aspects of Kindle's software. So to fix it, I'll install CM7 and as soon as it's out of Alpha, I'll install CM9.
    01-04-2012 07:18 AM
    Bought one for my wife for Christmas. She loves it. Perfect size and ease of use for someone that is tech illiterate.

For 200 dollars I felt it was a great purchase. My wife doesn't need a 500 dollar tablet to do what she does.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    01-04-2012 11:48 AM
    Nope.
    01-04-2012 12:01 PM
    I'm happy with my Kindle Fire. I'm sure I'll be much happier with it once I root it and install and legitimate android OS.

It works great for what I use it for. The 7inch screen is just the right size to be truly portable.
    01-04-2012 02:24 PM
    After using my Kindle Fire over the weekend w (CM7 & ICS) i have to say that i don't like the 7 inch tablet size at all compared to my iPad 2.

Its to small for browsing comfortably and typing on. My hands and eyes felt severely cramped from just 10-15 min of use. I just dont see the point in having one. its to close to the size of GS2 and and doesnt offer any advantages for the weight and heft.

After going back to ipad 2 everything was just so much easier and more comfortable on the hands and body.

So in the meantime im gonna return it and either order the Asus prime or wait for the Nexus Tablet.
    01-04-2012 02:37 PM
    I think if you are used to a larger tablet that is an acceptable argument but with more use i think you would adjust and actually like it more.

I'm deciding between a KF and Galaxy Tab at the moment. The one thing holding me back about the KF is no bluetooth. Besides that I really want to pull the trigger on it.
    01-05-2012 12:17 PM
    I'm deciding between a KF and Galaxy Tab at the moment. The one thing holding me back about the KF is no bluetooth. Besides that I really want to pull the trigger on it.
    I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the KF. Since I got the KF for Christmas, my poor Tab sits lonely, abandoned on my desk. A few posts before this, someone said he prefers the larger screen size of his iPad. For me, the KF size is much better for reading, playing games, and browsing. Some web site would be better on the larger screen but overall I find the smaller size much easier to hold AND I can type with both thumbs.
    01-05-2012 03:48 PM
    I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the KF. Since I got the KF for Christmas, my poor Tab sits lonely, abandoned on my desk. A few posts before this, someone said he prefers the larger screen size of his iPad. For me, the KF size is much better for reading, playing games, and browsing. Some web site would be better on the larger screen but overall I find the smaller size much easier to hold AND I can type with both thumbs.
    I'll buy that Tab from you

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    01-05-2012 03:55 PM
    well the kindle fire DOES have a bluetooth radio (and there are developers making Roms to make bluetoth work) but it is not available at the moment.

from what I know bluetooth range will be smaller then another official bluetooth device though.

*edit not a bluetooth radio but a wireless chip with bluetooth capabilities
    01-07-2012 12:04 AM
    well the kindle fire DOES have a bluetooth radio (and there are developers making Roms to make bluetoth work) but it is not available at the moment.

from what I know bluetooth range will be smaller then another official bluetooth device though.
    That's interesting. Would love to see a future update enable bluetooth for use with my bluetooth headphones (although I generally use my phone with them and would always have my phone if I have the Kindle, so maybe not that big of a deal) and possibly a bluetooth keyboard.
    01-07-2012 12:13 AM
    That's interesting. Would love to see a future update enable bluetooth for use with my bluetooth headphones (although I generally use my phone with them and would always have my phone if I have the Kindle, so maybe not that big of a deal) and possibly a bluetooth keyboard.
    well there is a dev who is trying to unlock the bluetooth to work on cm7. Nook Color was similiar in this respect (bluetooth with some modding). so its not IF the kindle fire will have bluetooth its WHEN.
    01-07-2012 11:26 AM
    Would love to! Bought my wife the KF and have had countless problems. Works slow or not at all. Currently frozen entirely. Cleared cache and history and it worked for a few hours. Put on charger and now does nothing. Wish I'd spent the extra for something better!
    06-11-2013 05:15 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD