Anyone jumping ship?

1gridlok2

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Media hype is what's killing it, pay 500 bucks to read books, check email, listen to music, play angry birds, or $199 for a ereader that does the same thing. And is more portable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Celandine

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I nearly bought a Fire the other day. Nearly. Went in to have a look at one at the store for a more hands-on type of experience to get the feel of it.

Came away a bit unimpressed. I figure my Galaxy Tab does the same thing as a Fire, it has the Kindle app on it so reading books and magazines and listening to music is the same experience, has a 32 gb sd card with it (besides the 16gb memory it came with) so sideloading movies, music and installing apps on it is a breeze, and has two cameras (front and back) and bluetooth. Oh, and I have a docking keyboard for it which I bought a few months back.

I also have a Kindle Keyboard which has a nice looong battery life.

Wanted to love the Fire, but there was just too many features it doesn't have right now.

Perhaps when the Fire 2 comes out I'll reconsider. Or not.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I love my Kindle Fire. It is an amazing little device for $199 and it does everything I expected it to. Sure a galaxy tab has more features, it is a very nice tablet, but it is also double the price. There is nothing wrong with that and it looks like a great tablet if that is what someone needs and wants.

I am so sick of these tech pundits bashing the Kindle Fire in favor of the iPad. The iPad is also a great device. I have read several of them saying basically "forget about the Kindle Fire and just get an ipad" Really, I could do more with a $600 tablet and another $30 a month 3G data plan. I am sure I could get more out of the ipad for $600 plus another $720 in data charges for the next 2 years. No thanks, I will keep my $199 Kindle Fire and watch free streaming video and enjoy the many free or inexpensive Android apps.

The Kindle Fire is a great Tablet that will meet the needs of many consumers at a price point that many won't mind - I had no great burning need for a tablet but for $199, why the hell not buy it. And as for Apple's management and some of the "tech analysts" stating that the Kindle Fire won't hurt Ipad sales and that it will be a "gateway" to the purchase of an iPAd - they are quite simply delusional.:p

rusmo

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I returned mine last Saturday. Quite simply I wasn't using it. I have other devices and options available to me and I never found a killer use case for the KF in my daily life.

That said, I'm glad Amazon is making tablet devices, and I hope they become a major competitor to Apple. (although my current plan is to buy an iPad 3 if it has a higher density display).

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I nearly bought a Fire the other day. Nearly. Went in to have a look at one at the store for a more hands-on type of experience to get the feel of it.

Came away a bit unimpressed. I figure my Galaxy Tab does the same thing as a Fire, it has the Kindle app on it so reading books and magazines and listening to music is the same experience, has a 32 gb sd card with it (besides the 16gb memory it came with) so sideloading movies, music and installing apps on it is a breeze, and has two cameras (front and back) and bluetooth. Oh, and I have a docking keyboard for it which I bought a few months back.

I also have a Kindle Keyboard which has a nice looong battery life.

Wanted to love the Fire, but there was just too many features it doesn't have right now.

Perhaps when the Fire 2 comes out I'll reconsider. Or not.

someone who already has a kindle and a galaxy tab.. isnt exactly who should be buying a fire anyhow.

Celandine

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
someone who already has a kindle and a galaxy tab.. isnt exactly who should be buying a fire anyhow.

Perhaps. I'm happy Amazon is making a great, affordable tablet for the masses. It's about time someone did! Secretly I'm hoping they steal some of the limelight away from Apple and it seems they are to an extent. Also, Amazon is playing it smart by keeping stock apps on the Fire in their own little realm, like Apple does, by forcing owners to buy exclusively from them thus returning the money back to Amazon's pockets. Smart.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Keeping mine. It is actually more of a tablet than I expected -- I thought it would be an "Amazon device" with half-baked tablet features. I was pleasantly surprised that it is pretty robust and runs the apps I use, even though i had to sideload some.

Sure, lots of room for improvement, but it's an excellent "consumption" device and complete enough that I don't have a strong desire to root or tweak it. Yet...

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, it's only a few bucks more than most ereaders. It's a dirt cheap tablet, but it doesn't FEEL dirt cheap. 7 inches is ideal for reading, and it has a really solid heft to it. Yeah the iPad is better in a LOT of ways, but it's more than twice the cost and is unwieldly to read with. I got the Kindle Fire with my expectations in check. I got it to read books, surf the web, and play games and music on. I can do all of that on my rooted Kindle Fire with no problems. 200 is the sweet spot for tablets for me. The iPad doesn't do ENOUGH to justify the laptop price in my mind, and the same goes for the Tab, etc. They are wicked nice tablets, but they are too pricey. In my hierarchy I have my PC for gaming and serious tasks, my laptop for lesser tasks and mobile usage, and then I have my Kindle Fire to keep with me on all times to fill in the rest and my Galaxy Nexus for everything on the go. An iPad would be lost in my hierarchy, so the Kindle Fire is perfect for my expectations. The people giving it bad reviews have different expectations is all.

Reactions: JesseMT4G

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
its not the easiest thing ever.. but rooting the kindle and putting cyanogenmod 7 and android market on it make this piece of hardware much nicer!

I just cant wait for cyanogenmod 9.. because ICS is much more fit for a tablet then 2.3 is.. ICS having on screen buttons is perfect because the kindle doesnt have hardware buttons like a phone.

But as far as CM7.. it works really well.. Ive got my fiance's kindle with cm7 loaded with a bunch of apps and her favorites like gmail, google music, and hulu plus are all working great.

I figured the kindle fire would be good because she isnt very techy and its got an easy layout.. but imo the kindles UI is just terrible.. putting cyanogenmod on this thing feels like a 200 dollar upgrade.

Nahte27

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got a kindle fire for Christmas, and although it's no Galaxy Tab, for the price you couldn't ask for more. My only real complaint was the interface, but thanks to a simple Kindle rooting tool, I was rocking Cyanogenmod 7 in no time. Now it's everything I wanted in a tablet (except ICS) but at just over half the price of a Tab.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I have a Glaxy Tab 10.1 and the Kindle Fire. And I use them both; the Fire is my traveling companion, the Tab I use at home. Is the Fire perfect? No, but I'm happy with it for what I use it for.

waterwagen

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Is CM7 fully functional? The only thing that I'd be upset about is losing amazon prime streaming.
I have a fire, and thus the free prime streaming, and my impression is that the selection is poor compared to netflix. And you can get netflix on any Android device, of course.

The Amazon video player is pretty nice, but other than that I'm realizing that it really doesn't offer anything that any Android tablet doesn't already have.

Also, the Netflix app on it is buggy. You can download movies for offline viewing, but unlike every other online rental service I've used (such as android market movies on my phone), your 24 hour watch period starts when you DOWNLOAD the movie not when you actually start viewing it (very annoying if you want to load up for when you are away from wifi, eg a trip). I have to rebuy a lot of Android apps I love (perhaps I can find the apks and sideload?). The keyboard is terrible after being used to SwiftKey.

Some of these things I knew going in, but either actually experiencing them in real usage or the preponderance of them has made them more annoying than anticipated.

So, while I sort of like my Fire so far (3 days), I'm really wondering if I'm still going to be using it in a month or if I'll just be doing everything on my phone again. Or very possibly, running ICS.

My two cents.

cbulkman

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My wife & I just got one free when we bought her car yesterday. She won't put it down & after messing around with it for a few hours myself, I know why. The size is just perfect for the stuff we do on Amazon (prime, app store, books, music). For $200 retail, and especially for free, this is amazing.

staffman28

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am keeping my fire. It does everything I want, especially since I sideloaded the nook app and have access to my hundreds of books. I also use ADW Launcher to get that android feel and customization. I was already a prime member so this was a perfect compliment for me at the price point. The nook tablet and blackberry playbook were my other choices but I finally decided on the fire and I am very happy with my choice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have read countless articles complain about KF usability, so I was wondering anyone actually jumping ship? Or (according to cnet) Re-gifting your KF. I am quite satisfied with my user experience and will only be more pleased by the soon to come update.

I've had several problems with the browser not displaying and navigating pages properly. Both the stock Silk browser and I'm rooted and installed Dolphin.

I think it's just unrefined aspects of Kindle's software. So to fix it, I'll install CM7 and as soon as it's out of Alpha, I'll install CM9.

Sauk

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Bought one for my wife for Christmas. She loves it. Perfect size and ease of use for someone that is tech illiterate.

For 200 dollars I felt it was a great purchase. My wife doesn't need a 500 dollar tablet to do what she does.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

RbBrdMan

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my Kindle Fire. I'm sure I'll be much happier with it once I root it and install and legitimate android OS.

It works great for what I use it for. The 7inch screen is just the right size to be truly portable.

nate735#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
After using my Kindle Fire over the weekend w (CM7 & ICS) i have to say that i don't like the 7 inch tablet size at all compared to my iPad 2.

Its to small for browsing comfortably and typing on. My hands and eyes felt severely cramped from just 10-15 min of use. I just dont see the point in having one. its to close to the size of GS2 and and doesnt offer any advantages for the weight and heft.

After going back to ipad 2 everything was just so much easier and more comfortable on the hands and body.

So in the meantime im gonna return it and either order the Asus prime or wait for the Nexus Tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon