Kindle Fire Firmware Update 6.2.1 Being Pushed Out Now

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
From reports on xda, the update breaks root and existing methods to root no longer work. Not happy about Amazon taking affirmative steps to prevent root.

Sent using Tapatalk

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered one for Thursday delivery. Can you turn off the updates? I wanted to root mine, and if I can turn it of before I enable WiFi that would be nice.

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I really wish Amazon would allow you to un-partition that 1GB for apps. I love just about everything about the Kindle other than this. I have no need for apps on my Kindle other than what came on it but I would love to have that 1GB back in order to have more room for books/movies etc.

Again a very minor frustration but I wish I had known before I bought it that essentially there is only 5.5GB of usable space on here.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You can also select the download link from within the Silk Browser on your Fire and it will download to the appropriate folder and allow you install / update it.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded the update but nothing happens when I tapped on it.

I then used ES file manager to open the update, but the update process doesn't start.

Edit: I moved the file from the download folder to the update folder, and I was able to go into device and start the update process manually.

BluesHawk

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Correct, sorry, I should have clarified. If you download via the Silk Brower, the download file needs to be moved to the 'kindleupdates' folder. Once you do that, you are able to go into the device settings and install / update from there.

konaman01

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Just found out about the update. My fire did it all on its own before I knew the update had pushed. According to root check i no longer have root :( But, i can still access the android market [the reason i rooted] and i can still stream vids from amazon which previously required Root Keeper, [back-up root/ restore root, you know the drill]. Hit the restore on root keeper, it says root is restored but root check says i don't have root, weird.? As long as it works the way i want then no worries, still a little confusing though as to how its working. Oh well

mase123987

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just found out about the update. My fire did it all on its own before I knew the update had pushed. According to root check i no longer have root :( But, i can still access the android market [the reason i rooted] and i can still stream vids from amazon which previously required Root Keeper, [back-up root/ restore root, you know the drill]. Hit the restore on root keeper, it says root is restored but root check says i don't have root, weird.? As long as it works the way i want then no worries, still a little confusing though as to how its working. Oh well

So are you saying that as long as you get the android market and a launcher on there before the update gets pushed to your device, it will still work fine?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech