Is sideloading books possible?

cc0n01

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know whether you can sideload books for the Amazon Kindle reader. However, I use the Aldiko reader to download epub books from my Calibre server.

taipan61

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
yes it is possible to sideload books, the easiest way is to use Calibre, format to MOBI and remove [docs] when formating. (this puts it in the docs folder but shows up in books)
then just upload to device as normal.

with the new 6.2.1 update sideloaded covers do not show up on the carousel for some reason...continuing problem but at least now we can delete them so blank spots aren't showing up

jalba3

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I used Calibre to convert my old ebooks/PDF's into mobi files. Like someone has mentioned, some books appear in the actual books section, while sometimes others appear in the Docs section. Even though some end up there, it still behaves like a book in regards to reformatting text size, font, brightness etc.

djstarion

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
yes it is possible to sideload books, the easiest way is to use Calibre, format to MOBI and remove [docs] when formating. (this puts it in the docs folder but shows up in books)
then just upload to device as normal.

with the new 6.2.1 update sideloaded covers do not show up on the carousel for some reason...continuing problem but at least now we can delete them so blank spots aren't showing up

This.

When I first loaded MOBIs onto my KF, half my books would show up in the docs folder. So I ended up reconverting them and taking out the [PDOC] tags and they all transferred fine.

And what do you mean sideloaded covers don't show up in the carousel? I updated the metadata in Calibre and added the covers that way and they work everywhere including the carousel.

taipan61

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This.

When I first loaded MOBIs onto my KF, half my books would show up in the docs folder. So I ended up reconverting them and taking out the [PDOC] tags and they all transferred fine.

And what do you mean sideloaded covers don't show up in the carousel? I updated the metadata in Calibre and added the covers that way and they work everywhere including the carousel.

they were there for a few weeks then "Poof" when started the unit up they were just blank spots on the carousel...and I use Calibre and did the update metadata with covers (covers show in the books folder though)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
They are purchasing them from official retail outlets because to do otherwise would be wrong and illegal and bad and a not good thing and thus not for proper discussion in polite company.

hahaha,

i download them from Project Guttenberg (all public domain)
i sideloaded Moon e-reader from the Android Marketplace,
go to projectguttenberg's website through that e-reader app,
and read all the books i want for free & legally.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia