So I like my Kindle the way it is, I would rather not root it. I rooted a phone, but allot of Android phones offer bad experiences that can only be remedied by rooting. The Kindle Fire however, is a very good experience, with very good support already.

Basically, I find the Kindle Fire is good as is, but the lack of a gmail app is a little bit painful Any remedies for this?
    12-24-2011 04:08 AM
    I would think you could grab the apk and side load it without the need for root. No?
    12-24-2011 06:35 AM
    Sideloading the Gmail app doesn't work. The Kindle (or phone) must be associated with a Google account, and that's not possible on the Fire without root.
    --
    Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk.
    12-24-2011 07:43 AM
    Root it, load the google apps including the android market, then unroot it. That is what I did for my kids. Stock Fire with all the google goodies!
    12-24-2011 11:45 AM
    Root it, load the google apps including the android market, then unroot it. That is what I did for my kids. Stock Fire with all the google goodies!
    Will you still be able to update those two google apps?
    12-24-2011 02:12 PM
    Will you still be able to update those two google apps?
    Yes once you have the required google files on there everything works normally, as does amazon video on demand.
    12-24-2011 03:30 PM
    Yes once you have the required google files on there everything works normally, as does amazon video on demand.

What specific steps/app did you use to root and unroot your Fire?
    12-26-2011 11:32 AM
    Sideloading the Gmail app doesn't work. The Kindle (or phone) must be associated with a Google account, and that's not possible on the Fire without root.
    --
    Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk.
    If you want Gmail you just need Google Services Framework running. Just side load apk before Gmail.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    12-26-2011 08:03 PM
    Exactly. I got Gmail, Google Maps, Music and Google+ running on my unrooted Kindle Fire and didn't have to root. Just have to install the framework apk first.
    12-26-2011 08:30 PM
    Where can I grab the framework apk?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    12-26-2011 08:36 PM
    Where can I grab the framework apk?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Search for Gapps.rar or Gapps.zip... XDA or Rootwiki I think.... Not anywhere near my computer.

12-26-2011 09:35 PM
    Just keep it rooted, and use rootkeeper to unroot it when you want to watch Prime video's, etc. Just my 2c.
    12-26-2011 10:00 PM
    Search for Gapps.rar or Gapps.zip... XDA or Rootwiki I think.... Not anywhere near my computer.

Cool. Thanks man. Here is the link for anyone else:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1401486&page=3

Installed the framework and gmail installed and is working.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    12-26-2011 10:52 PM
    Hey Brendon, any news about the APK. I found one in here but after try to install it I got the message "Application not installed"

I'd love to have Gmail running without rooting the KF.
    12-27-2011 12:00 AM
    Just keep it rooted, and use rootkeeper to unroot it when you want to watch Prime video's, etc. Just my 2c.
    That's what I did. I'm not interested in custom roms on this thing so just to have root and Market is enough for me.
    12-27-2011 12:42 AM
    Hey Brendon, any news about the APK. I found one in here but after try to install it I got the message "Application not installed"

I'd love to have Gmail running without rooting the KF.
    Hey, use the link in my last post. It takes you to xda and the first post you see on that page has a link to the framework Apo that worked for me. So far ive got gmail, google+, maps, docs and youtube. Haven't tried market yet. After installing it broke my facebook app for some reason though. I just uninstalled the app and reinstalled, which worked.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    12-27-2011 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD