So, I was looking around on the internet, and remember someone telling me I could test developed apps on my kindle fire. I am very new to both the kindle fire and android app development, but am aware that the kindle fire's OS is a modified version of android (or something like that). I tried plugging in my kindle fire after enabling installation of apps somewhere in the settings and ran my program in eclipse, but nothing happened, and my kindle fire remained on the "You can now transfer files..." screen. Also, when I plug in my kindle it says there is no driver found. I hear this is normal though. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it, thanks in advance.
    12-26-2011 12:13 PM
    When you plug the fire into the computer it automatically mounts as storage. Just drag the apk you created into a folder or just on the root of the fires storage. After that, use a file explorer, I use es file explorer, and install the ank like any other. Hope that helps.
    EDIT: that's really the only way you can test it. If you want to test it on an emulator download the android SDK and emulate your app like that
    12-26-2011 04:45 PM
    When you plug the fire into the computer it automatically mounts as storage. Just drag the apk you created into a folder or just on the root of the fires storage. After that, use a file explorer, I use es file explorer, and install the ank like any other. Hope that helps.
    EDIT: that's really the only way you can test it. If you want to test it on an emulator download the android SDK and emulate your app like that
    Hmm, thanks, but to be honest I have no idea what you just said XD. Apologies, im a complete android noob. Do you think you could explain to me what an apk is and where exactly on the kindle device I would put it? And also, what is ank and what do I do with it after installing it?
    12-26-2011 05:43 PM
    Lol its fine. An apk is the application in its non installed form. If you create an app and you want to test it out, you would just drag and drop the apk onto the fires internal storage, anywhere as long as you know where its at, using a computer, preferably a windows PC since its the easiest, and install it from the file explorer I mentioned. From there you would just click on the app from the drawer and test it out.

And sorry but I can't really explain the SDK thing. Just Google 'android emulator' or 'Android 2.x sdk'

Hope that helped. Anymore questions?
    12-26-2011 09:20 PM
    Lol its fine. An apk is the application in its non installed form. If you create an app and you want to test it out, you would just drag and drop the apk onto the fires internal storage, anywhere as long as you know where its at, using a computer, preferably a windows PC since its the easiest, and install it from the file explorer I mentioned. From there you would just click on the app from the drawer and test it out.

And sorry but I can't really explain the SDK thing. Just Google 'android emulator' or 'Android 2.x sdk'

Hope that helped. Anymore questions?
    Ah, that made a bit more sense. So I exported it and I got a file and an .apk file. I dragged the .apk file onto my kindle fire and tried placing it in numerous places, but no matter where I put the file, no app would show up when I disconnected my kindle from my computer. What am I doing wrong? Also, I already have the emulator and SDK, I just wanted to be able to put my app on my kindle fire. I have this app running both on the emulator and my android phone with no problems.
    12-26-2011 10:59 PM
    lanuk,

download an app called es file manager. open that app and look for your .apk (app) that you dragged and dropped onto the kindle fire. click on it and it will ask you if you want to install it or not.
    12-27-2011 01:08 PM
    It seems like it may be a hidden file. Make sure you can see hidden files. There should be a setting for it. If thats not it try to put it on the root of the storage (not in a folder) and you should find it easy
    12-28-2011 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD