To never be a first adopter of a brand new tech. I'm just disappointed that my Galaxy Nexus outperforms my Kindle Fire. Browsing and scrolling is just not smooth at all. Pages load half as fast as my phone and video watching on the KF is too laggy. I'm sure the KF will be reworked and revamped on the next edition but the current one is just too underwhelming even for $200.
    01-05-2012 08:34 PM
    That's with Amazons crappy software. You should wait until 4.0 is complete for it and then compare the two
    01-05-2012 08:39 PM
    A phone that costs about $400 (w/o a contract) outperforms a device that's twice the size and cost $200 (w/o a contract)? What a shock!
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    01-05-2012 08:51 PM
    Yeah, comparing a Galaxy Nexus to the Fire just doesn't make sense.

I like my Fire much better now that I've gotten rid of the Fire software and installed CM7. CM9 will make it that much better.
    01-05-2012 10:31 PM
    A phone that costs about $400 (w/o a contract) outperforms a device that's twice the size and cost $200 (w/o a contract)? What a shock!
    What he said. I'm digging my Fire, it's super fast compared to the Galaxy Tab, and streams so much better. The lack of RAM has not been a problem at all, the internal memory is totally fine with the cloud, and it's only going to get better with Amazon actually supporting it unlike Samsung.

The difference is that Amazon doesn't need you to buy the next iteration to make money, so it's in their interest to keep updating this one, and that's what makes the Fire a really strong tablet for the long haul.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    01-05-2012 10:41 PM
    That's a bummer. I really like mine, especially after exploring all the mods to turn it into a rather efficient and productive handheld device that can handle many tasks. And I haven't even done cm7, waiting for ICS.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    01-05-2012 11:12 PM
    Bummer that you had a bad experience. I have to say my experience is the exact opposite. In my family we have a Galaxy Captivate phone, a Tab 10.1, 4 iPod Touches, and the latest iPhone. Everyone wants my Fire now. It is by far the snappiest device. I did root it but otherwise I'm running it out of the box.
    01-06-2012 08:02 AM
    The OP would probably complain because his Chevy Malibu didn't perform as well as his Corvette. Apples to oranges guys will never be happy.
    01-06-2012 10:33 AM
    I agree with the majority on this post. That's not to say the device is perfect. The only thing I miss, regarding hardware, is an built in card device for extended storage.

On the software side..... I happen to use Amazon quite a bit. Books are my drug. I frequently order other products.

But imagine that you have a 7" device that not only manages the content that you like, has your gmail contacts and detail of the contacts, provides you with a manageable calendar, lets you monitor and respond to your e-mail accounts, store some photos, and maybe sideshow them, provides a portal to a company that you do business with, would let you screw around with "rooting", and have a few games to occupy time? All of this out of the box and for $200 bucks? Such a device would be very productive and probably be a constant companion. In my case would beat my 4" telephone display. I don't think this requires pigs with wings.

Oh and one more thing, many pads on the market today provides most of this.
    01-06-2012 11:46 AM
    My .02cents,

I received a Kindle Fire as a gift. I rooted it, installed Go Launcher EX and love it. I know the limitations, no GPS, no SD card slot, no camera etc however it runs like a charm. I've loaded the Market, Gmail, a few other Apps like FB, YouTube and Twitter (ripped from my EVO 4G) and they all perform wonderfully. I realize this is not a TRUE Android tablet but damn if it doesn't fill the gap between my EVO 4G and an iPad2. It does everything I want it to do with a nice form factor at that. I pick up my EVO after using my Kindle and the phone feels SMALL. That is precisely what I was looking for, a device that functions more or less the way my EVO does but with a larger screen and dual core.

Love it. I recommend the Kindle Fire for sure. Take the time to root it, change the UI and run with it. I'm looking forward to flashing an ICS ROM to test drive but for now it fits perfectly in my Android arsenal.
    01-06-2012 11:35 PM

I like my Fire much better now that I've gotten rid of the Fire software and installed CM7. CM9 will make it that much better.
    Exactly. The OP is clearly someone who is uncomfortable Modding and expects more than a $200 tablet can give. Anyone who has rooted and installed CM7 knows how good this tablet can be. But that's fine, enjoy the Galaxy Nexus. I'm waiting on mine to arrive.
    hognelson likes this.
    01-07-2012 03:32 AM
    My wife got a Kindle Fire and she loves it. It is rooted with CM7. I keep telling her that if the Evo View goes on sale again I am returning her Kindle. She keeps yelling at me saying, why this thing does everything I need it to do, lol. Also loaded Google Voice on there for her so she is now able to text from her device. Her answer is I can surf the web, read my books, text and play my games so why do I need soemthing else?

For the price it is great and if you do not care about the lack of a camera, gps, and only 8 gigs of storage then you have a full blown tablet here for $200 once rooted.

I do have my eye on the View if it hits the $220 mark again.
    01-07-2012 07:48 AM
    .....For the price it is great and if you do not care about the lack of a camera, gps, and only 8 gigs of storage then you have a full blown tablet here for $200 once rooted.

I do have my eye on the View if it hits the $220 mark again.
    No lack of GPS with TetherGPS Lite. Available in the Market. Works great.
    01-07-2012 09:53 AM
    No lack of GPS with TetherGPS Lite. Available in the Market. Works great.
    Not true GPS though. You still need to be hooked up to a wi-fi connection.
    01-07-2012 01:47 PM
    Not true GPS though. You still need to be hooked up to a wi-fi connection.
    Uh, maybe that's why they included the word teather in the APP name???
    01-07-2012 02:03 PM
    Uh, maybe that's why they included the word teather in the APP name???
    Um, it was you that said no lack of GPS so I wanted to make it clear the device still lacks GPS. The app doesn't change that.
    01-07-2012 03:39 PM
    Um, it was you that said no lack of GPS so I wanted to make it clear the device still lacks GPS. The app doesn't change that.
    It shouldn't be this hard. If you use an GPS APP to tether your KF to your smart phone (that has GPS) you will have GPS on the KF. Unless you think getting turn by turn directions from your KF and being able to follow your route on the KF is not GPS. I can use an APP to make a flashlight out of a smart phone but the phone doesn't actually have a flashlight.
    01-07-2012 08:26 PM
    It shouldn't be this hard. If you use an GPS APP to tether your KF to your smart phone (that has GPS) you will have GPS on the KF. Unless you think getting turn by turn directions from your KF and being able to follow your route on the KF is not GPS. I can use an APP to make a flashlight out of a smart phone but the phone doesn't actually have a flashlight.
    Dude, why are you arguing with yourself?
    01-07-2012 08:42 PM
    My wife and I got kindle fires from my dad for Christmas and we love them. I also have a HTC Jetstream and this is the perfect complement to it. I haven't rooted it either ad I use most odd the features it has.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2012 09:52 PM
    Dude, why are you arguing with yourself?
    You are the one who keeps replying. I'm the one who posted the original statement. If you have a useful comment on what I posted say it. Posting, "Dude, why are you arguing with yourself? is about as childish a response as I've seen here. What's next, "My old man can beat your old man?" Sigh.
    01-08-2012 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD