I need a 7 inch tablet, should i get the kindle fire?

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Or playbook or the kryos 7 inch coby? I'm mostly going to use it for reading and light web browsing, no games....

The kryos looks basic but it's very cheap, the playbook can be had for 200 bucks...

what do you think? I need something light and portable...

reading is the main thing though.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The kindle fire is a no brainer. It is great for reading and the amazon store has so much content. Plus a free month of prime doesn't hurt.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're not looking to do anything heavy with it, yes. If you're looking for a full Android tablet experience, then hold off and get the Tegra 3-fueled ASUS they introduced at CES which is supposed to be only $250.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
For what you want it for, right now, the Kindle Fire is a great choice. Anything better is a lot more money and anything cheaper is not even close to the quality of the Kindle Fire.

If you are not in a hurry in 2 or 3 months their may be some better options (as mentioned above ASUS may have a 7" tablet with great specs competitively priced).

okimed

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
As a current android user who has a Kindle Fire, it upset me that amazon crippled that tablet so much. I would look for a tablet with android market access that will allow you to do simple things like changing the stock keyboard. I know you think you will only surf the net and read, but I have a feeling that will change in about 2 days after you have the device and start to say... "This device would be awesome if I had access to this app like my phone..."

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
As a current android user who has a Kindle Fire, it upset me that amazon crippled that tablet so much. I would look for a tablet with android market access that will allow you to do simple things like changing the stock keyboard. I know you think you will only surf the net and read, but I have a feeling that will change in about 2 days after you have the device and start to say... "This device would be awesome if I had access to this app like my phone..."

Why not un-cripple it? You can have Market access pretty easily, or wipe the stock Fire firmware, throw on CM7 and have a tablet that's just about as good or better than any other currently available 7"?

okimed

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! I just haven't had the time to deal with it yet.

If I had market access and the ability to change keyboards I wouldn't have the desire to root it right away. Most people won't go through the trouble and would be stuck with a crippled tablet. Not to mention that Amazon pushed an update that unrooted the tablet. And I know I can side-load apps, but it gets messy with app updates, etc... The average consumer won't want to deal with the extra headaches.

okimed

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Why not un-cripple it? You can have Market access pretty easily, or wipe the stock Fire firmware, throw on CM7 and have a tablet that's just about as good or better than any other currently available 7"?

Agreed! I just haven't had the time to deal with it yet.

If I had market access and the ability to change keyboards I wouldn't have the desire to root it right away. Most people won't go through the trouble and would be stuck with a crippled tablet. Not to mention that Amazon pushed an update that unrooted the tablet. And I know I can side-load apps, but it gets messy with app updates, etc... The average consumer won't want to deal with the extra headaches.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I feel ya with that keyboard thing, even though I doubt I'll do much with it having swiftkey on it will be nice. My main goal really of a tablet is to use my pc less unless it for more demanding work so me on these forums will be mostly on a tablet.

I'll think I'll wait a little and look for a Galaxy tab 7.7.

Kindle access, email, browsing, light facebook, and so forth.

It's basically going to be my computer at home for just messing around so I don't think the fire will be enough.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If you're willing to root it, it's great. I'm running CM7 and it does everything I want and then some. Like anything in electronics, you can wait indefinitely for this latest and greatest but guess what? I'm typing this on my Fire right now so if you're content waiting, good luck with that. Rooting is easy and the average person can easily do it. Give it time and I bet there will even be a one click method.

grvthang

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
To get back on topic -
The cheaper Android tabs do not have the quality that the Fire has. I bought my niece a Coby tablet last summer, and while it was good, it didn't come anywhere close to the Fire's quality.

As far as the screen goes, the Coby's screen is resisitive, not capacitive, so it wasn't responsive (you need to use a stylus or your fingernail), and the picture quality isn't as good.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The kindle is excellent for the price. It has tons of content that is easy enough to get for it. If you want a full tablet experience then get a full tablet. He galaxy tab 7.0 plus is a awesome tab but it is also twice the price so you get what you pay for. For 200 dollars the kindle does more than i would have expected.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

jsh1120

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Added the KF to a household with a couple of Android smartphones, five Windows computers, and an iPad 2. I'm very familiar with Android phones going back to the original Droid. And while I like Android environment very much, I was looking for a device that like the iPad that required virtually no management and maintenance. (I already have enough tech stuff to "manage.")

In other words, unlike many of the folks on this board, I suspect, I wasn't looking for a highly customizable user experience, much less a rootable device. I just wanted it to work well for all the members of my family including my technophobic spouse and my seven year old daughter.

Overall, it has been a huge success. Other than hating the fact that I have to clear the damn carousel on a regular basis, it's easy as pie to use and requires virtually NO maintenance. Even better, a free app called "Kids Place" enables me to create a set of enabled apps for my daughter without worrying that she'll either accidentally mess up the settings on the KF or that we'll find a refrigerator being delivered to our door unexpectedly. That level of control, by the way, is missing on the iPad.

Furthermore, although the screen is smaller than the iPad's the KF's 16x9 aspect ratio actually works better for viewing movies. (Though not for content creation.) Add the "free" movies, books, apps and other perks of "Prime" membership at a slightly over $6 a month and it's a no brainer.

Bottom line is that I can't comment on the "hackability" of the KF though it appears to be easily hackable. But as a device that has about 80% of the functionality of an iPad at 40% of the price, it's a winner.

cindycdd

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I used to own a Coby Kyros Mid7022 4g 7" tablet, but now own a Kindle Fire. I switched because my Coby would not turn off. I returned it and bought the K Fire. I must tell you that I really enjoyed my Coby. If it hadn't quit working I would still have it. I didn't buy a second one because I was afraid it would happen again. The Coby Mid7022 was $179 and had a capacitive screen not the resistive screen. I was able to download Android Market without rooting it, which you can't do with the K Fire. Coby gives you more control of your tablet than K Fire does. Saying that, I do like my K Fire a lot. It does what I want it to. I wish I could change the "ding" sound when I get a notification to the "ta da" sound that I got used to with my Coby. Other than that, I am happy with my K Fire but I miss my Coby :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois