Sorry for the Newbie question-

I'm looking to root my kindle and put android market on it. I've read up on that and watched youtube videos and get how to do it. But I have a few questions.

What's the difference between Go Launcher, CyanogenMod 7, Ice Cream Sandwhich, etc. Do they all do different things? Or if they are similar which one is better, does more, etc? Ultimatley what programs should one put on a rooted kindle?

Thanks for the help!
    Eric
    01-20-2012 11:34 AM
    Sorry for the Newbie question-

I'm looking to root my kindle and put android market on it. I've read up on that and watched youtube videos and get how to do it. But I have a few questions.

What's the difference between Go Launcher, CyanogenMod 7, Ice Cream Sandwhich, etc. Do they all do different things? Or if they are similar which one is better, does more, etc? Ultimatley what programs should one put on a rooted kindle?

Thanks for the help!
    Eric
    Hey there,

I'd recommend doing some reading on the forums for your device and some of the other forums. You'll pickup a ton of info pretty quick. Also, XDADevelopers has a ton of forums for rooted and alt firmwares. Now a quick answer to your question.

GoLauncher, GoLauncherEx, LauncherPro - These are apps that replace the stock launcher (ie home screen) on your device. Gives your device a different feel and can also add functionality that the stock launcher doesn't include.

CyanogenMod - This is a main firmware moders have developed. This is basically the OS. It's based on the same source code that Google releases, but it keep the stock Android feel and removes the crap that the device manufactures and the carriers install on the phone. It also allow more customizations than the stock firmware included on the device.

Gingerbread (v2.3.x), Honeycomb(3.x), Ice Cream Sandwich(4.x) - These are the versions that Google has released. There's a very good Wiki link on the various versions. Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kage_
    01-20-2012 08:52 PM
    You don't have to replace the stock OS on your kindle in order to add android market, go launcher or any other 3rd party apps but you will need to ROOT the device. Also unless you do flash a new ROM you will lose ROOT each time amazon pushes a new update.

It really depends on what you want out of your Kindle, if you want to keep the amazon stuff then I would just ROOT it and add the market..
    01-21-2012 08:11 AM
    Don't ever be sorry for a "Newbie" question; we've all been there at some point.

Your question does, however, suggest that you must do more research and learning before you attempt to change your Kindle Fire. Rooting, flashing ROMs, installing a new launcher, etc. all require you to have a plan (they do not all work "nice" with one another), to be comfortable with your knowledge in order to complete the plan, and, finally, to have an "exit" strategy in order to put things back should something go wrong.

Make no doubt, you can screw things up badly and even permanently disable the device very easily. Nonetheless, the above two responses were "right on" but just make sure you are ready before you proceed. Then ... let the fun begin!
    skulldroid67 likes this.
    01-21-2012 09:42 AM
    Thanks everybody for the help! That cleared up a lot.

I currently have a palm pre which uses webos. I've rooted that and have put in patches, mytether, etc. I received the kindle fire for Christmas and have been trying to learn the Android lingo. Rooting and adding Android Market I understand from working with the Palm Pre before. It was the launchers and the OS that I wasn't sure on.

Thanks again!

Eric
    01-21-2012 09:59 AM
    its all about fun..adventure and learning. Always read up before doing anything and use a few different sources. There is often multiple ways to do things and some folks do the explaining better than others. Lots of reading and lots of trial and error have helped me out. Best to ya and have fun!
    01-21-2012 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD