Why install ROM's??? What is the reasons???

Kuroth

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
So the ICE and other ROM's look cool and all but what is this point? I mean why do people what to do this? What do you gain by doing this? And why buy a Kindle and then completely change its OS?? Why not just buy a device that runs this OS? To me is kind of like.. I buy a brand new Corvette.. Then the next day I completely convert my Corvette into a Mustang.. Why not just buy the Mustang to begin with???

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
One of the advantages of rooting the Kindle is that they could be purchased for cheaper than most tablets of comparable ability. I believe that the equation changed with the newly announced Nexus 7, but that is very recent.

I think that also the prevalence of rooting activity on the forums has something to do with the fact that the type of person who goes out to a forum to learn about their device tends to also be the type of person that likes getting "under the hood" so to speak.

I rooted one of my earlier Android devices, but I found that the differences in the various versions of Android were not really relevant to how I used my device, so I joined the "leave it stock" school of thought.

There are some who dislike the Kindle Fire interface, and for them, side-loading another launcher while leaving the underlying OS alone would work, but I think there is a tendency to go all the way if you change anything.

I would personally like to see more forum activity about the stock Kindle Fire, but I think with the user community on Android related forums, that is unlikely to happen. Also, there may not be that much to say about a stock device that everyone doesn't already know.

But, good question... :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A good way to sum it up also is people like options.. Rooting your device gives you exactly that...

Kuroth

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense what you guys said.. And I am rooted BTW.. But I have never used a ROM (2 different things correct???).. I assume when you use (Flash) a ROM you lose all Stock Kindle Amazon related functions correct?? Like Amazon Video, The Amazon Kindle Reader (I know you can get other readers).

I rooted mine and then use Go Launcher to be able to Duel boot between the Kindle Amazon side and the Android side and use OTA Root keeper to then unroot so I can still use the Amazon stuff.. While at the same time have the ability to buy and use Android Apps(I hate those Amazon bastards for making me jump through these hoops to be able to do this BTW)

So is there a way I could still do all this and just Flash a ROM on the Android side and still be able to Duel boot and use OTA Root keeper etc.?????

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
It's close to the same, but it's not exactly. I think part of the appeal of the Kindle is the stock OS that puts all your content right there where you want it. Once you root it and change that you may as well buy a Nexus. With the stock boot loader you have the menu bar with your music, a music player integrated into the volume control, books listed on the menu with lending library access, and the neat bookshelf design.

To each their own but I think people rooted them as has been said above, because the Nexus didn't exist. Some bought it as a Kindle, others bought it as generic hardware.

I used the Go Launcher on mine but eventually removed it. I even had second thoughts a few times and re-installed it (gotta love the cloud, Amazon just re-installs things even if it isn't carried in their store). Eventually I just removed it again and never looked back. I like how if you don't set a preference the home button was a quick change between. I just found myself never needing the other launcher. My Nexus will be here soon to tinker with and the Kindle will be my dedicated content device.

micwrite

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Electronics for decades have operated on a proprietary mindset. This concept follows a pattern set centuries ago with mechanical hardware that required OEM parts to repair it. That restrictive design plan was and still remains the name of the game. But humans don't deal well with "you have to" or "you can't". If humans built this thing then humans can "rebuild it" and "hot rod" it.
Whether its a 32 Ford Coupe or a Kindle Fire, someone will want to "hot rod" it and make it faster or better performing. Hats off to them. Screw the corporations who think they retain ownership rights to everything they sell us

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with the above. The "because I can" argument is always a primary factor.

On a related point I can see computer hardware going the way that console gaming has, where hardware is sold at a loss to generate software revenue. That would be interesting because right now there are only 3 players that could pull it off; Apple, Google, and Amazon. I don't know how the market would survive. Then again phones will always be subsidized by the carriers but even that isn't a sure thing.

Kuroth

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I too actually like Amazon and like my Fire Amazon interface, Cloud, etc, etc ..

But I also wanted access to the Google stuff so just having mine rooted and using OTA-Rootkeep to hide my root so all my Amazon stuff works I have access to both google and the Amazon side now so don’t think I will ever Flash a ROM.. But now understand why some of you do.. And more importantly understand that I don’t need to for what I want..

Thanks!

motty69

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Fire because I didn't want a huge tablet in size or cost. I found that the OS was just too simple for my taste (that's being generous, the UI is pretty horrible IMO) and the missing Play store was kinda weak (the Amazon app store is pretty crappy).

So now I'm rooted and running Jellybean (thanks to XDA-devs) and it has made a once slow and buggy device smooth as butter. Heck the wifi even works better on JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC