So back in April I got myself a Kindle fire and downloaded everything i need to root it. The drivers and the KFU. Everything worked like a charm the first time. My Buddy gave me his Kindle today so that I can root it for him, and it's being recognized and all under Device Manager and KFU (online, 4000) but when I go to option 2 to root it keeps giving me this error:

"Oops… something went wrong with the download.
    The recovery downloaded is not correct.
    Please try the download again."

Any idea what it could be or what I can try? I first tried it on his comp and it also gave an error, can't remember exaclty, prob same error and the kindle got stuck on boot screen. I freaked out thinking I bricked it, but when I came home I read more and saw that I can use KFU to boot in recover and it rebooted fine. Anyway, it won't root, please help.

oh running 6.3.1

Thanks
    08-16-2012 04:48 AM
    Which version of KFU do you have? Try downloading a new copy and trying again.

--
    Sent from my Droid4 using Tapatalk 2.
    08-16-2012 07:58 AM
    I have latest one, but I'll try a fresh copy. Will let you know how it goes

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-2012 10:01 AM
    Downloaded a new copy of kfu 9.6, same error message.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-2012 11:39 AM
    If you're familiar with ADB you could try installing FFF (the recovery its talking about) manually. Sounds like there may be a problem with the link its using to dl.

--
    08-16-2012 12:12 PM
    So before you replied this last time, I read somewhere else to download the TWRP .img manually, which I did and put it int he recvoery folder in KFU, then I launched kfu and it started rooting, but not it won't boot into OS, only boots into TWRP recvoery mode.

when I go into command line on pc and type "adb devices" it shows
    "15D400060000001 recovery"

I then do adb shell and I get this
    " ~ # ←[6 "
    haven't seen this before.

I then try to type su and says
    su: not found

I also tried "imde bootmode 4000" and says
    imde: not found.

So I guess I'm in a worse place now, lol. More reading to do to try to recover this, not even sure if it actually rooted.

oh one more thing, when I open KFU it says ADB Statis: online and Boot Satus:unknown , I go to Bootmode Menu and select 1 for normal it says " The system cannot find the drive specified" but the kindle is mounted and recognized under device Manager, I have used this bootmode menu before with a previous issue and it worked.
    08-16-2012 12:22 PM
    I don't know what I did, but tried rebooting for at least 10th time and I didn't get into TWRP menu, booted up to kindle os, hmmmm lol. Guess it works now
    08-16-2012 12:31 PM
    You may have been stuck in a boot loop. If it happens again ty this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1586445
    --
    Xterror likes this.
    08-16-2012 12:43 PM
    You may have been stuck in a boot loop. If it happens again ty this:

[Q] [HELP]Stuck on Kindle Fire screen... - xda-developers
    --
    Thanks for your help! Bookmarked that link
    08-16-2012 12:51 PM
    So before you replied this last time, I read somewhere else to download the TWRP .img manually, which I did and put it int he recvoery folder in KFU, then I launched kfu and it started rooting, but not it won't boot into OS, only boots into TWRP recvoery mode.

when I go into command line on pc and type "adb devices" it shows
    "15D400060000001 recovery"

I then do adb shell and I get this
    " ~ # ←[6 "
    haven't seen this before.

I then try to type su and says
    su: not found

I also tried "imde bootmode 4000" and says
    imde: not found.

So I guess I'm in a worse place now, lol. More reading to do to try to recover this, not even sure if it actually rooted.

oh one more thing, when I open KFU it says ADB Statis: online and Boot Satus:unknown , I go to Bootmode Menu and select 1 for normal it says " The system cannot find the drive specified" but the kindle is mounted and recognized under device Manager, I have used this bootmode menu before with a previous issue and it worked.
    try reinstalling the ADB drivers...
    08-21-2012 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD