[Old version][Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]This guide is somewhat outdated. Ambassador Rukbat has an updated one with better screenshots: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...k-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html#post4265806[/INFO]

In the event you think your stock ROM is faulty, or you want to flash back to a previous version on your Samsung device, here is how.

[INFO]This is for Samsung devices, and a general guide at that. Some carriers may have more detailed steps that need to be taken. I cannot guarantee how well this will work for every device.[/INFO]

[NOTE]The things you will need:

- Download and install ODIN
- A program called 7Zip
- A copy of your stock ROM in question.[/NOTE]

Odin is a program that can utilize the MD5 file to install ROMs to your device. MD5 files can be anything from recoveries, modems, and even ROMs.

First, one of the things that may need to be done is to update your device drivers. You can do this one of two ways.
-You can search the net for your updated drivers. Download and then install to your PC.
-Or you can download or update Kies. Part of those processes are to install or update drivers.

Once drivers are installed, a restart of your PC may be required. In fact, I would highly suggest it.

Second, is downloading and installing 7Zip. 7Zip is a file extraction program, that unzips compressed files. Windows has a file compression and decompression program as well. Depending on where you get your file from, having both is handy in case one works and the other does not.

Third, Your copy of your stock ROM. This will be the compressed file you downloaded. You will need to extract it. The best thing to do is create a file on your desktop. This will make the extracted file easier to find. Once created, you can right click on the downloaded file and click Extract. Either program will ask where to extract to. Click on the small box with the 3 dots and navigate to your desktop and locate your newly created file.

Next, you will need to download and install ODIN.
[TIP]Once done, you should start it by right clicking and 'Open as Administrator'. This option works best for using ODIN in general.[/TIP]

DSCN0481 (640x480).jpg
This is ODIN just after the program has been launched.

The MD5 file would go into the PDA box. Sounds weird, I agree, but the PDA box will be your best friend. You don't need to worry about any other Boxes.

PDA Box (640x461).jpg
This is the PDA box that will be needed to flash any file.

Once the file is in the box, you would now need to turn off your device, and reboot into Download Mode by holding volume Down and power (If using the Galaxy S3 and 4, Home will also have to be held).

Download1 (640x480).jpg
This is the first step to getting to Download Mode.

Download2 (640x480).jpg
This is what Download Mode actually looks like.

Once in Download Mode, you can plug in your device. You will need to wait several minutes, as ODIN, your PC, and the device all talk to each other.
After some time has passed, upward of several minutes, you should see a box that is colored and has a type, and a number: Ex: 'COM:6' That means your PC recognizes the device and everything should be ready to go. The number is irrelevant.

DSCN0487 (640x480).jpg
Note the COM:3, and the MD5 file in the PDA box. Now, to begin, just click Start.

[WARN]At this point, DO NOT remove your device until ODIN says finished, or if something goes wrong, it will say failed.[/WARN]

DSCN0488 (640x462).jpg
ODIN flashing has begun.

When ODIN is done, you should see a box that will say reset or passed (depending on which version you have, you may see either or both.). At this point it is ok to remove your device.

DSCN0490 (640x463).jpg
ODIN fishing up it's process. Testing the reset.

DSCN0491 (640x477).jpg
ODIN has completed the flash, and by now, the device should be going through the reboot screen.

Any problems, try these few things: Update Drivers, and restart your PC; Different cables; Different USB ports.

Other solutions may include redownloading the file.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide][Samsing] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN

Afterthoughts: Flashing full ROMs can also take upwards of several minutes. Before beginning this procedure, a charge of at least 70% is recommended.
Also, this will be like unboxing the device for the first time, so the reboot will take longer than normal. You may also have to go through setup procedures again.

bigpapajon

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I think that I love you...no homo. I am currently looking at my S4 screen saying "Android is upgrading..." and it makes me happy. Thanks for the basic instructions and solid links.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think that I love you...no homo. I am currently looking at my S4 screen saying "Android is upgrading..." and it makes me happy. Thanks for the basic instructions and solid links.

No sweat. Glad it helped. See you in the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN

I have galaxy note 2 GT N7100 . I was on stock 4.1.2 so I wasnted to root it. Odin, CF Auto Root, z4 root nothing worked. No matter what I tried. Then i finally read about Framaroot and then installed it and finally rooted my phone. After this i flashed official prelease samsung android 4.3 rom on my phone via mobile odin which also installed super user and mobile odin as system apps and mobile doin was supposed to root my phone as well. But the thing is, my phone is NOT rooted on stock rom and no even Framaroot app can't root my phone. Whenever I try Odin, it never recognizes the cwm .tar.md5 file and I can't root it anymore :-(. Plz help I'm stuck :'(

Can you link what file?

dave wojcicki

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

I recently used cf auto root on sprint s4 and now when i try to flash a custom rom it tells me the device name is jfltexx instead of jfltspr i'm not sure how it changed or how to change it back. I'm going to try flashing stock firmware with odin

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I recently used cf auto root on sprint s4 and now when i try to flash a custom rom it tells me the device name is jfltexx instead of jfltspr i'm not sure how it changed or how to change it back. I'm going to try flashing stock firmware with odin

How did everything go?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

THANK YOU!!! This is the most detailed guide that i could find and works! I flashed my rom and reinstalled my ace 2's android succesfully! Thank you so much, it really helped! I found my stock rom for galaxy ace 2 here Samsung Galaxy Ace 2: Stock Rom Samsung Galaxy Ace 2

Welcome to the forums.
Glad you like it, and glad it helped.
Since you are so new, how about saying hi here: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Just click post new thread, and say hi with a little about yourself.

Tony Giap

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
so i bricked my s4 and it is in download mode..

ive done all the above steps. and found my stock rom.
followed everything and it says FAIL.

idk what to do?

my phone basically says

Could not do normal boot (in red)
ODIN MODE (in red)
Product Name: SGH-1337
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
Write Protection: Enable
START [224,1440] (in red)
SW REV. CHECK FAIL : fused : 2. Binary : 1 (in red)

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Try updating drivers, different cables, different ports.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

blt4al

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Hi, Golfdriver97...

Please forgive me for being such a noob, but I'm trying to really, fully reset my son's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, so I turned it off, held down the Volume Up button and powered it on.

I opted to continue, and it's been sitting at the "Dowloading...Do not turn off target!!" screen for about 20 minutes.

Am I supposed to have some sort of image to load? I figured it would just load what was pre-programmed. The upper left corner shows this:

Odin Mode
Product Name: GT-P5113
Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung_Official

What should I do at this point? Is it okay to "reboot" the unit?

Thanks so much in adamant for your help.

Barry
Daphne, AL

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hi, Golfdriver97...

Please forgive me for being such a noob, but I'm trying to really, fully reset my son's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, so I turned it off, held down the Volume Up button and powered it on.

I opted to continue, and it's been sitting at the "Dowloading...Do not turn off target!!" screen for about 20 minutes.

Am I supposed to have some sort of image to load? I figured it would just load what was pre-programmed. The upper left corner shows this:

Odin Mode
Product Name: GT-P5113
Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung_Official

What should I do at this point? Is it okay to "reboot" the unit?

Thanks so much in adamant for your help.

Barry
Daphne, AL

Welcome to the forums.
Press and hold power until the tab reboots. Did you just mean to do a factory reset or wipe the device?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Michael Pelley

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Thank you so so much... I have been months trying to figure out how to get my rom back to stock. This did the trick and I am now back in business!

Cheers!!!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you so so much... I have been months trying to figure out how to get my rom back to stock. This did the trick and I am now back in business!

Cheers!!!

Welcome to the forums. Glad it helped.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Ram Perel

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

hi can i flash also cyanogenmod 10.1 on galaxy w?
because on the guide it says that i must use cwm5 or cwm6 uf not i will risk my phone. using odin is okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca