07-06-2018 04:35 PM
78 1234
tools
    Welcome to Android Central! The first part of researching is looking at a guide like this one or my main introductory guide (http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...id-2014-a.html) to understand how memory works. In the main guide, I make sure to bring this issue up very early on, in a basic "What phone is right for me?" section.

The key is to understand two things--(1) the OS takes up at least 2-3 GB of space, and (2) older or cheaper devices tend to use the obsolete partitioning method that really limits app storage.

There are other reasons to avoid those cheap off-brand direct-from-China devices, including poor build, buggy software, and lack of support.
    11-04-2014 10:38 AM
    Wow, thanks. I often get 'Not enough space' when trying to install something. This will be useful info.
    B. Diddy and beninit c like this.
    11-17-2014 03:14 AM
    [GUIDE] Android Storage Memory and How to Deal with Insufficient Storage Warnings-10814179_852743368079677_1294145074_n.jpg
    i have sufficient memory space in internal as well SD card.
    but this message is coming while i am trying to download app. Please provide solution
    beninit c likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:20 AM
    Thank you so much! Wanted an answer to what I thought was a simple question: "What should/shouldn't I move to an sd card?" You guys gave me the first good, simple answer after LOTS of looking!

Posted via Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-24-2014 03:58 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10814179_852743368079677_1294145074_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	150062
    i have sufficient memory space in internal as well SD card.
    but this message is coming while i am trying to download app. Please provide solution
    Welcome to Android Central! What device do you have? Show us a screenshot of your Settings>Storage menu.
    11-30-2014 01:07 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion on the text messages. I am going to get rid of my Clean Master apps as suggested on another question I asked. I do have to ask this question though.

My pictures are stored on my external sd card, I can go into file manager and see the folder, open it and see all of the different titled albums etc. If that is the case then why does the gallery or the "pictures" take up almost 300 mb according to Clean Master on my internal storage? I am so confused.
    12-05-2014 12:17 PM
    why does the gallery or the "pictures" take up almost 300 mb according to Clean Master on my internal storage? I am so confused.
    It's probably referring to the thumbnails folder. The system needs to store thumbnails of photos and other images, and if there are enough, they can take up a decent amount of space. My thumbnails folder is about 700-800 MB in size. If you delete the folder, the system will just recreate it, so it's not worth fiddling with. The folder is /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails.
    Debbiesue49 likes this.
    12-05-2014 05:26 PM
    what to do when ''move to internal sd'' is not shown
    plzzzzzz.......... help.
    plz....,
    01-05-2015 06:46 AM
    [SIZE=3]...Older Android phones (ones that came with Android versions up to and sometimes including 4.0) typically break up storage memory into 3 main partitions (i.e., areas):[INDENT]
    1. Application Storage: Where Android installs apps. This can range from as little as 256 MB to 3 GB, depending on the phone. Lower end phones usually have less storage, and therefore can have fewer apps installed at one time....
    heh. my long-in-the-tooth Optimus V has a whopping 160Mib of 'internal' app storage.
    also... Low Memory used to mean running out of RAM (which isn't even quantified here in this list,) but now Android is referring to nonvolatile storage as 'memory.'
    I have about 480Mib of usable RAM on that Optimus V, it is a big limiter on how many things can run at once.
    Without using a task-killer, Android has a bad habit of overrunning RAM to the point of reboots if you're using a legacy low-memory device with Android versions past Gingebread...
    Starting with Android 4.0 (actually 3.0, but that was only for tablets), phones started to come with what we might call "unified storage," where there was no division between App Storage and Internal Storage--it became one big partition, which allowed you to utilize the entire available memory for app installation. The main drawback was that you could no longer plug the phone into your computer via USB cable and access it as "USB Mass Storage" (where it essentially acts as another drive). With the old system, even when the Internal Storage and External SD partitions were mounted by your computer as external drives, your phone could still function, because the crucial App Storage partition was not mounted (and therefore still accessible by your phone). However, trying to have the computer mount a unified partition would render the phone inoperable while plugged in via USB, because the whole partition would be unavailable to the phone, including all of its apps.
    again, heh.
    I learned that if you have partitions 2-4 on SD card formatted as EXT(2,3,4), and you mount USB storage in CyanogenMod7-11, it will mount those partitions as USB mass storage, as well as the 1st standard sdcard partition (FAT32.)
    If you're running legacy MultiRom or something else that mounts SD partitions as system and data, you can actually access them under USB mass storage from your PC, while the phone is working just fine. So the phone, and the PC, can both see sdcard partitions at the same time... but for some reason vold (Android's storage service) has a little hissy fit about 'seeing' the first sdcard partition as USB Mass Storage and also reading that partition with phone software at the same time.
    I /assume/ it has to do with the possibility of more than one piece of software being able to access files at the same time causing corruption, but you don't have to completely block access to the card to avoid that.

Not to derail or belittle your thread, it's good info.
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-05-2015 07:03 AM
    what to do when ''move to internal sd'' is not shown
    plzzzzzz.......... help.
    plz....,
    Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, but unless you're able to root your phone, you're stuck with keeping that app in the application storage partition. Remember that moving to internal SD will typically just move a portion of the app there, not the whole thing.
    01-05-2015 12:24 PM
    Low Memory used to mean running out of RAM (which isn't even quantified here in this list,) but now Android is referring to nonvolatile storage as 'memory.'
    I have about 480Mib of usable RAM on that Optimus V, it is a big limiter on how many things can run at once.
    Without using a task-killer, Android has a bad habit of overrunning RAM to the point of reboots if you're using a legacy low-memory device with Android versions past Gingebread...
    Yes, good point. This guide was meant specifically to address the issue of storage (referred to in the specs as ROM) rather than active system memory (referred to as RAM). It's true that older versions of Android on older devices didn't manage the limited amount of RAM that well, and task-killers may be reasonable to use on an as-needed basis in those situations.

Thanks also for the info about SD card partitions. I have no rooting/ROMing experience, so it's a helpful addition to the thread!
    01-05-2015 12:30 PM
    Yes, good point. This guide was meant specifically to address the issue of storage (referred to in the specs as ROM) rather than active system memory (referred to as RAM). It's true that older versions of Android on older devices didn't manage the limited amount of RAM that well, and task-killers may be reasonable to use on an as-needed basis in those situations.

Thanks also for the info about SD card partitions. I have no rooting/ROMing experience, so it's a helpful addition to the thread!
    in more recent Android versions from 4.0 on up, the built-in manual task killer seems to work pretty well (long press home to see recent apps, swipe them away to kill them) as RAM usage definitely goes down after stopping running apps. The built in OOM (out of memory) killer still is pretty weak on legacy devices around 512Mib RAM on these recent versions... kitkat for example just seems to want around 280Mib minimum RAM to even run, which is a large chunk of these older devices full capacity.
    the SD partition info may or may not apply to non-CM ROMs unfortunately. but that's all I've had to play with except for stock.
    01-05-2015 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the article.
    I have found at my Xperia LT with Android 4.1.2 that the term 'Phone Memory' being used in the meaning 'Application Memory' from the article.
    Regards, Cezary
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-07-2015 07:49 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Yes, there can be a few variations of terms used, and it can become confusing!
    01-07-2015 10:11 AM
    I just want to add something to this fantastic guide. It's a funny thing I've found when trying to fix some friends and relatives phones with storage problems.

If you go to settings - storage there's a section called MISC. The theory says that here is where apps store data, and clearing data in settings - apps or uninstalling an specific app should delete the files under MISC. Well, that's true ...* most of the time.

I've found huge files not included at all in the app information (settings - apps). The biggest one was a file with a cryptic name and 450 Mb! It came from a tapatalk based forum (not AC Forums). I just uninstalled the app and problem solved.

Some wallpaper apps create huge files as well, even if you just downloaded a couple of pictures from them. And if you don't have a tool that check when you uninstall an app some residual file could remain in your phone after the app is gone. This was the case in my wife's phone with a well known weekly news magazine. It left a file with more than 300 Mb after being uninstalled.

So, worth a try checking the MISC section from time to time.
    Rukbat, Golfdriver97 and B. Diddy like this.
    02-17-2015 09:41 AM
    I may be misunderstanding you but it sounds similar to a problem I encountered awhile back where the SDCARD was not formatted/initialized in addition to it not being mounted. If you have PC/MAC with a SDCARD reader try reading the card in that device. If you have no issues reading the card reinsert into your tablet and it should prompt you to mount the card say yes. If it does not read in the PC/MAC reinsert into your tablet select the storage setting -> SDCARD settings and you should have an option to initialize and or format the card. !!!WARNING THIS IS A DESTRUCTIVE PROCESS ANY AND ALL DATA YOU PREVIOUSLY STORED WILL BE PERMANENTLY ERASED!!!! If you require the data your going have to find a data recovery service etc just store the card safely and buy your self an new SDCARD there dirt cheap now. So if your satisfied you don't need the data proceed with format/initialize and the mount the SDCARD and you will be able to use as intended. Good luck.
    03-18-2015 05:15 AM
    Great info to know. Thanks for sharing.

Posted via the Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-09-2015 05:38 PM
    Thanks for the article, the first part is practically about me :-) Sad thing is that in every single preview, review or advertise you will here about amazing gigabytes for your applications. Than you will buy a phone, figure out that something is weird and then and only then you will start your investigation about ROMs and RAMS and SDs.
    Anyway, i have new phone will almost full memory and almost empty internal memory (aka internal SD). If I do understand this article correctly, there should be some way how to move applications to that internal SD... right? Because that is practically a SD. Sadly, I can move exactly nothing. Since phone doesnt have any external SD, there is no option at any application to move to anywhere. Could somebody give me a hint what am I missing?
    04-17-2015 02:13 PM
    Thanks for the article, the first part is practically about me :-) Sad thing is that in every single preview, review or advertise you will here about amazing gigabytes for your applications. Than you will buy a phone, figure out that something is weird and then and only then you will start your investigation about ROMs and RAMS and SDs.
    Anyway, i have new phone will almost full memory and almost empty internal memory (aka internal SD). If I do understand this article correctly, there should be some way how to move applications to that internal SD... right? Because that is practically a SD. Sadly, I can move exactly nothing. Since phone doesnt have any external SD, there is no option at any application to move to anywhere. Could somebody give me a hint what am I missing?
    Welcome to the forums. We need a little more info. What device do you have, and what version of Android are you on?
    05-09-2015 09:17 AM
    I am a newb to this whole Android system, how does one even use an SD card let along install and move apps to it?
    Help!!
    06-14-2015 09:08 PM
    I am a newb to this whole Android system, how does one even use an SD card let along install and move apps to it?
    Help!!
    Sorry for the late response, and welcome to Android Central! Once you insert the microSD into the phone's slot, it should be ready to use as a storage area, primarily for media (photos, videos, music). You can use a file manager app to move files from the phone's Internal Storage to the SD card. For some apps (like the Camera app), you may be able to specify the card as the default storage area. I already discussed in the OP of this thread the possibility of moving a portion of an app to the SD card.
    07-02-2015 12:06 AM
    My phone have above 490 MB phone storage, but shows only 97 MB. Where is balance memory?
    Any time shows low disk space.Attachment 127026

pls help. i want interest in share ur tips
    I am fighting the same problem. Only manually cleaning files has helped so far. This may be risky sport 😕. I just wonder: Can we erase the big amount of space reported as Cache in the display shown here? In my case this is up to 5GB of valuablememory.
    Fulani Filot likes this.
    09-15-2015 04:52 PM
    I have a phone wit 200MB. Yikes, I know. I tried to restart the phone but I can't. I rebooted it a lot, but it can't restart. It makes me so angry. When I rebooted it once, it just cut off my wi fi. It takes forever to get my wi fi back?

**Edited by Mod**
    10-11-2015 02:47 PM
    I am fighting the same problem. Only manually cleaning files has helped so far. This may be risky sport . I just wonder: Can we erase the big amount of space reported as Cache in the display shown here? In my case this is up to 5GB of valuablememory.
    Sorry Halvor, you probably discovered by now but yes you can.
    Long press and clear cache.

If you want to figure out what created 5gb, maybe someone can help.
    As in the Titanic movie :

"Come B - A - C - K ! "

11-23-2015 05:29 PM
    There are Low Memory Errors showing up in the Tasker App that are confusing to me. I have an LG G4 phone with plenty of constantly available free memory (~12GB) in its standard 32GB internal phone memory, which, with it running Android version 5.1 and being rooted and prevented from updating to 6.0, probably has no smaller-partition limitations for the Apps and their data such as you've mentioned for earlier Android versions. So why are these Low Memory errors constantly appearing in Tasker whenever I open Tasker and it shows me the system log? Could this perhaps indicate low memory on one of the smaller System Partitions? I also have a 64GB External SD Memory Card that I use for personal files that I back up daily. But being that my prior External SD Card mysteriously crashed overnight causing the instant loss of ALL of the files on it, I don't want to move my Apps over to it. Another thing confusing me a bit is that I get slightly different results than you when I look under my Application Manager within Setup. Instead of it saying "Move to Internal Storage" for each App, it has the option "Move to SD Card" for each App. And knowing that the INTERNAL storage is sometimes referred to as "SD Card" storage, I feel slightly confused by this. Yet, should I feel safe in assuming that what it is saying with this "Move to ..." option is that it would be moving a given App out to the EXTERNAL SD Card storage? If so, then that is NOT what I want. I sure wish that both Android along with EVERY applicable App would always include the terms "Internal" and "External" EVERY time that they mention "SD Card" memory. It would sure makes things less confusing. Anyway, any feedback on these two issues would be highly appreciated. Thanks...
    03-20-2016 08:12 PM
78 1234