[GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure the DHCP range is wide (i.e., make sure there are enough IP addresses for all of the devices in your home network). Usually, the range is something like 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255, which means there are 255 possible addresses.
.1 is usually the router itself. .255 is broadcast. So the usual available range is .2 to .253. (That's 251 connections, and no home router can handle that much traffic. I prefer to keep the range to what I need and expand it by 2 when my great nephews are here.)

TaylorGT

May 25, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth none of the suggestions here worked. BUT. the opposite did. I have an Archer C3200 and ENABLING IPv6 as well as turning on the guest network feature did the trick for me. I rebooted my phone to be sure. This was not a problem with my Nexus 5X. Glad this is resolved now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you give more details? Is the wi-fi toggle actually turning on? Does it have trouble detecting wi-fi networks only at home, or also elsewhere (where there are public wi-fi hotspots)?

YordiGaming

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I've been having a weird issue and I tried everything I could and nothing is working. I have an LG Rebel and it was working fine up until today when all of a sudden the internet was letting anything work. I checked the connection and it said it was fine and connected but everytime I go to any app it says either the internet is offline or unavailable. I tried rebooting the router, forget the wifi and reconnect, I restarted my phone, I tried the list above, nothing seems to work. On every device I have they all work. Please help. This has been really frustrating and I cant find any help. Thank you.

John H Goyer

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
Router was set to accept wpa2 only. I changed it to auto select wpa/wpa2 and my stepsons's phone, which he brought from San Salvador to the US, now connects. His device is a recent Samsung that was on the tigo network. Not sure why it won't speak wpa2.

EMS Shadow

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

So my problem started a few months back (7 months back or so). All my Wi-Fi devices at home (approximately 25 devices from smart tvs to Rokus, Fire TV sticks, Android Boxes, cel phones, laptops, tablets etc.) all are connected to wi-fi. But about 7 months ago, I noticed that two of my Android Tablets started acting up. Tablets are both Android 5.0 Acer and Insignia. They keep losing wi-fi connection and show an error "obtaining IP address" or they simply show "saved" to my home wi-fi. I would like to point out that my wife and I both have Android Cel phones and those have never lost wi-fi connection at home ever. On the tablets that I'm having trouble with, I tried changing ip static address by watching some youtube videos but that didn't work. My only solution that works (and only works sometimes) is forgetting the network, unplugging the modem/router (Arris) and plugging it back in and reconnecting to wi-fi. This only works temporarily. After reading this post, I will try other suggestions and repost any changes. At first I was positive it was an Android problem but now one of my Smart TVs is saying it's not connected to wi-fi when all other devices are.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like IP contention. The easiest way no technical to to power off all your equipment including the Router. Then turn on the Router on wait for it to connect to the internet and the DNS will be in control (this is assumption since it doesn't sound like you are running DNS Server). If your have your smart devices to automatically obtain IP addresses the power on each device individually one by one and make sure it connect to the Router

Internet is working on the device and then turn on the next smart device go through the same procedure and continue this process until all smart devices are operational.

Limitations​..
The router only has XX set to limit the number of devices and you surpassed the stated limit. If this is the case you need to increase the number device allowed more devices up to 256 devices limit on a IP Range.
The smart devices that has a static IP in a low range and if not active at all time, will allow another smart device to acquire that IP address. Then when you reactivate the static address smart device it will be in contention with the acquired device. This all will happen with any power outages, if the Router is unplugged and/or the static IP address is powered down.

This is not that easy to write this since this is very technical in nature and bringing to layman s term it very difficult

Install Fing app on an Android device it is a most have tool for IP address information.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS Shadow

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Internet is working on the device and then turn on the next smart device go through the same procedure and continue this process until all smart devices are operational.

Limitations​..
The router only has XX set to limit the number of devices and you surpassed the stated limit. If this is the case you need to increase the number device allowed more devices up to 256 devices limit on a IP Range.
The smart devices that has a static IP in a low range and if not active at all time, will allow another smart device to acquire that IP address. Then when you reactivate the static address smart device it will be in contention with the acquired device. This all will happen with any power outages, if the Router is unplugged and/or the static IP address is powered down.

This is not that easy to write this since this is very technical in nature and bringing to layman s term it very difficult

I understand that increasing the number of devices allowed must be done in the router settings. I'm using an Arris that is both a modem and router combined. I'm not a computer saavy so any help on increasing the number of devices in router/modem settings is greatly appreciated. I do know how to get into the modem/router settings, I just don't know where on the settings to go to to make the changes necessary. I'm afraid of changing something I'm not supposed to and mess up the wi-fi completely. So again, any help is appreciated. Thanks

What does Fing app actually do or how does it help??

Last edited by a moderator:

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Fing list all active devices and their associated IP address.
First you will need the login and password for your Arris Router. Use Google Search "Arris" that will give you the pointers, manuals also YouTube.

Leo Zisman

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure this will work for everyone,but my Droid Maxx drove me crazy not wanting to connect to my home network. Said it was not in range. Finally, I slapped it! And it got connected immidately! Go figure...

EMS Shadow

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure this will work for everyone,but my Droid Maxx drove me crazy not wanting to connect to my home network. Said it was not in range. Finally, I slapped it! And it got connected immidately! Go figure...

That must've been a hardware issue. My guess is that you had a loose wire or antenna inside your device and slapping it actually jammed it in place. If that makes any sense.