There are dozens, if not hundreds of keyboard apps in the Play Store. They all typically offer very similar features, with maybe a few apps claiming to offer better customization, prediction, or multiple language support.

Fleksy has been the one that stood out to be the most (at least on the Android side). It doesn't offer next word prediction, swipe-to-type gestures, or tons of customization. What it does do though, it does very well. The main selling points of this keyboard are its gestures (not for typing as mentioned above, but I will go into these in detail below) and the ability to type without looking at your keyboard (as long as you know the general area of the letters you want to hit)

[INFO]There is a 30-day trial of this app if any of you want to give it a try, but the full version will run you $2 after that
    These can be found here (Trial) and here (Full)[/INFO]

At a first look, it doesn't look like much. It has a very minimalist design, but the design alone probably isn't going to get you to change keyboards. By default, there are 10 colors for the keyboard unlocked. There are a handful of different themes/colors available for purchase though, and you do get an extra one for free. The rest can vary from $1 for a pack of 2-3 themes, up to $3 for the chameleon theme. There's even an extension to have an invisible keyboard (which goes back to the ability of using this without looking at your screen)!

My current theme
    [Review] Fleksy Keyboard-screenshot_2015-01-23-22-50-21.jpg

Some of the themes you can buy
    [Review] Fleksy Keyboard-screenshot_2015-01-23-22-55-39.jpg
    [Review] Fleksy Keyboard-screenshot_2015-01-23-22-55-46.jpg

On top of changing the color scheme, you can also make a few changes to the size of your keyboard and whether or not you want to have a spacebar along the bottom (removing this also eliminates the backspace, emoji, and punctuation buttons).

Without the spacebar
    [Review] Fleksy Keyboard-screenshot_2015-01-23-22-58-10.jpg

Now that you know and have seen a bit of the keyboard customization, I'm going to show you those gestures I mentioned earlier. You may be thinking "How in the world am I going to type without a backspace or punctuation button?" There is a short tutorial when first using the keyboard so you can get some hands on example of these and you may want to run through it a few times because this keyboard, admittedly has a fairly steep learning curve, so it may not be for everyone.

Anyhow...like I said earlier, one of the selling points is the gestures. I will list these out with bullet points since it is easier to follow that way:
    • Swiping left - This will completely erase the last word you typed. Makes for quick an easy deleting of something as opposed to long pressing the backspace button
    • Swiping right - This will add a space in your sentence, followed by a period (unless you typed in some other punctuation). Subsequent ones will repeat the punctuation that is at the end of your sentence.
    • Swiping up and down - When typing a word, whether you spelled it correctly or made a typo, swiping up or down will cycle through the words shown directly above your keyboard. If a word is not in your dictionary, you can swipe up twice to add it and again to forget it.
    • Swiping down near the spacebar (after inputting some form of punctuation) while cycle through punctuation marks

So as you can see, these gestures allow you to completely eliminate the need for anything on your keyboard aside from the keys themselves. I personally use those anyway since it lets me keep the emoji keyboard and the GIF library that you can enable, but it is an option if you want to go completely barebones with your keyboard.

Some of the other extensions you can add
    [Review] Fleksy Keyboard-screenshot_2015-01-23-22-50-51.jpg

On to the second selling point. The invisible keyboard option. One of the big reasons why I love Fleksy, is that the auto correct is unparalleled. That is thanks to the algorithm that this app uses, which is meant to check the general area in which you tapped on the screen, as opposed to the exact letter. That is also what allows it to be useable even when you see nothing on the screen.
    (Fleksy even added in an achievement for number of words typed where you mistyped every single letter in the word ) This in turn, makes for typing without looking incredibly easy and what allowed Fleksy to break the world speed record for typing on a phone twice! Once beating their own record.

Overall, while this keyboard definitely seems like a lot of work just to learn, I think getting over the learning curve is absolutely worth it. It has improved my typing in both accuracy and speed significantly, and I have yet to find another keyboard that comes anywhere near it for auto correct. I'm so used to it, and prefer it over everything else so much that just about every other keyboard is now unusable for me because of the lack of gestures. I'd recommend looking at this keyboard if you're bored of the run of the mill swipe-to-type, hit every key that you need keyboard. Or if you just want something that isn't going to make you erase the entire word because it doesn't understand what you meant to type and not what you did type.
    Golfdriver97, Mojave and B. Diddy like this.
    01-22-2015 09:45 PM
    Good write up.

In your opinion, compared to say Google Keyboard or Swiftkey, how would you rank the app?
    UJ95x likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:26 PM
    Good write up.

In your opinion, compared to say Google Keyboard or Swiftkey, how would you rank the app?
    Well they are quite a bit different, but I definitely prefer Fleksy. Was using Google Keyboard prior to trying it out, but switched permanently after just a few days. I would still rank Google Keyboard as my second favorite as far as Android keyboards go. There is another one I like that is currently on iOS, but it was removed from Play a few months ago
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:33 PM
    Often prefer Google versus AOSP (stock keyboard on custom ROMs; almost the same .apk). Mainly because I won't have to wait for system updates versus app updates.
    UJ95x likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:34 PM
    Often prefer Google versus AOSP (stock keyboard on custom ROMs; almost the same .apk). Mainly because I won't have to wait for system updates versus app updates.
    Yeah, it's very similar, but after the material update I'd use Google Keyboard over the AOSP one solely for that theme. And quick updates are nice too
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:36 PM
    I have been using the Google keyboard but found Fleksy. I really like the swipe guestures. I can type much faster. But I do agree with you.... It has a long learning curve to it. Sometimes it gets so frustrating but I will continue to use it.
    Thanks for the great write up on the app.

Posted via Android Central App
    B. Diddy and UJ95x like this.
    01-26-2015 06:44 PM
    I have been using the Google keyboard but found Fleksy. I really like the swipe guestures. I can type much faster. But I do agree with you.... It has a long learning curve to it. Sometimes it gets so frustrating but I will continue to use it.
    Thanks for the great write up on the app.

The free trial I'd imagine?
    It did take me a few days to get used to the deleting and cycling through the words gestures, and even longer to the punctuation but it definitely made me better at typing on a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.2
    01-26-2015 07:14 PM
    Nice writeup, UJ95x! I switched to Fleky as well on my phone, but not on my Nexus 7--I think gesture typing is still a bit better on a keyboard that has more space to cover. It's worth pointing out that Fleksy is occasionally one of the Free Apps of the Day on Amazon Appstore, so keep an eye out for it!
    UJ95x likes this.
    01-27-2015 01:20 AM
    The free trial I'd imagine?
    It did take me a few days to get used to the deleting and cycling through the words gestures, and even longer to the punctuation but it definitely made me better at typing on a phone.

Yes the trial version. Actually your write up helped me understand the swipe guestures. Makes more sense to me now. Thanks!

01-27-2015 02:24 PM
    Yes the trial version. Actually your write up helped me understand the swipe guestures. Makes more sense to me now. Thanks!

No problem. Also worth going through the tutorial a few more times as I mentioned above

Mojave likes this.
    01-27-2015 06:06 PM
    Nice writeup, UJ95x! I switched to Fleky as well on my phone, but not on my Nexus 7--I think gesture typing is still a bit better on a keyboard that has more space to cover. It's worth pointing out that Fleksy is occasionally one of the Free Apps of the Day on Amazon Appstore, so keep an eye out for it!
    Good point. Forgot that you had mentioned that to me before lol
    Haven't used it on a tablet, but I'd agree. Can't really do tap typing on a bigger screen

B. Diddy likes this.
    01-27-2015 06:08 PM
    Just some of my stats. Didn't realize I made this many typos

Attached Thumbnails [Review] Fleksy Keyboard-59805.jpg  
    01-30-2015 04:45 PM
    I know this is old, but swift key has become so buggy I just got Fleksy today and it is absolutely brilliant. In case Google brings anybody here Fleksy has probably come on leaps and bounds since this review and I literally cannot fault it.
    04-06-2016 09:19 PM