05-20-2019 07:05 AM
30 12
tools
    I'm finding this all very interesting. First real smartphone I fell in love with was HTC One M8, still use it as a backup. Did all the things that you shouldn't do if you want preserve the longevity of the battery due to ignorance. And within 12 months was having to charge my phone twice a day sometimes three.

Got the HTC 10 now, and to increase the longevity of my current phone I now employ all the battery saving tips and tricks. 18 months later still only charging my phone once a day.

I don't let my phone go to 0 percent before charging now like I used to do with my old phone. Most of the time as soon as it gets to 20 I put it on the charger. I know some say you shouldn't let it go lower than 40% but I find that too much of an inconvenience. I've been doing 20% and I've had no real problems. But regardless of the number I agree that letting it go to 0 percent all the time is a bad idea.
    01-12-2018 10:25 PM
    Very few phones can actually discharge a phone to totally dead - 0% charge. When a phone indicates 0%, the battery still has plenty of charge left.

Because if you dototally discharge a lithium battery to 0%, then charge it, it's likely to behave like a Note 7 (and explode).

But if you look at Cadex' discharge curves at Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries, you'll see that maximum life comes from recharging at 50%. I think that's a bit extreme too (although I did that with my V551 battery since 2004, and it's still giving me good time-between-charges - after 13 years). So I have GSam Battery Monitor set to give me alarms at 40% on the way down and 90% on the way up. We'll see how that goes. Accu​Battery would do a better job, but I'm not running a new enough version of Android for it to install.
    01-12-2018 10:35 PM
    Are iPhones and Androids inherently different? I never let my iPhones get low but charge them every night overnight. After 5-6 months with my iPhone XS the battery health was still at 100%. Though the iPhone and most Android phones now have sealed batteries, I only take this charging habit stuff into consideration when I'm using an Android device.
    05-20-2019 05:42 AM
    Are iPhones and Androids inherently different? I never let my iPhones get low but charge them every night overnight. After 5-6 months with my iPhone XS the battery health was still at 100%. Though the iPhone and most Android phones now have sealed batteries, I only take this charging habit stuff into consideration when I'm using an Android device.
    They both use Li-ion batteries, but it may be possible that Apple sources a different manufacturer with higher standards (Then again, there isn't many battery manufacturers in the first place). Or you could just be lucky. All these suggested practices are based on averages, so some people will do better and others will do worse.
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-20-2019 07:01 AM
    They both use Li-ion batteries, but it may be possible that Apple sources a different manufacturer with higher standards (Then again, there isn't many battery manufacturers in the first place). Or you could just be lucky. All these suggested practices are based on averages, so some people will do better and others will do worse.
    Maybe it is, in fact, an Apple thing. I've charged all my iPhones that way and since the introduction of the battery health in settings, it had never dropped below what it was when I got the phone.

The alternative is that it's lying to me after all the negative press about slowing phones down lol
    05-20-2019 07:05 AM
30 12