05-22-2016 06:30 AM
30 12
tools
    Continuing on my budget phones thread here are ones that I think are worth mentioning in the $160 to $250 range.

OnePlus X - $249

OnePlus decided to come out with an even lower cost phone that has some great specs for a budget phone. The phone looks great and feels pretty great in hand. For US customers make sure that you know that it is missing band 12 for T-Mobile and 17 for AT&T. i did not notice any LTE issues when I was using the phone on Cricket but some people may see drop in LTE coverage if they buy this phone. The display on the phone was pretty great. It is hard to find a budget phone that has a Active Matrix OLED and not an LCD screen.

OxygenOS, Snapdragon 801 Quad Core 2.3GHz
    5.0 inch OLED screen 1920*1080 pixels
    2GB RAM 16GB ROM, Micro SD up to 128GB (not included)
    8.0MP front camera, 13.0MP back camera
    Support Network WCDMA, GSM, FDD-LTE;Support GPS, Wifi, bluetooth etc

ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 4.7 - $176

Featuring Award-Winning JBL Audio by Harman IDOL™ 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience! With dual front-facing JBL stereo speakers IDOL™ 3 packs professional audio quality to the palm of your hand for true-to-life sound.
    IDOL™ 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor™ Color Enhance technology giving the IDOL™ 3 a vivid cinematic color experience right in the palm of your hand.
    Pocket Perfect Form Factor: The IDOL™ 3 (4.7) is designed to be slim and compact for a first class user experience.
    Powered by an Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 processor the IDOL™ 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity to help keep up with your fast paced life. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming.
    Break free of carrier contracts with the award-winning IDOL™ 3. Recognized for delivering a high-quality crisp viewing experience slim elegant design and unique features like a fully reversible user-interface the IDOL ™ 3 has all the features.

ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 5.5 - $249

Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers). Unlocked cell phones will not work with CDMA Carriers like Sprint, Verizon, Boost or Virgin
    True to life music featuring JBL audio with award-winning JBL audio, IDOL 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience. With dual front-facing stereo speakers, the IDOL 3 packs professional audio quality for true-to-life sound.
    IDOL 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor Color Enhance technology, giving the IDOL 3 a vivid cinematic color experience. Get a clear view of your pictures and videos from any angle, even in direct sunlight
    IDOL 3 comes packed with a 13MP main camera and wide-angle 8MP front camera that will excite even the most passionate photophilic with a full-featured camera application, including time-lapse, HDR, panoramic and manual mode
    Powered by an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 processor, the IDOL 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming, made all the more realistic with 5.1 surround sound

Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) 2015 - $179.99

Advanced water resistance
    13 MP camera which includes a color-balancing dual LED Flash
    5" HD display; Brilliant display quality and the strength of Corning® Gorilla® Glass
    Quad core processing power in a great value product
    5MP rear camera with a VGA front facing camera
    Great 24hr battery performance with a 2470mAh battery
    Expandable memory; Slot for an optional mircoSD card with up to 32 GB capacity.
    4G LTE Speed; Browse, stream music, watch video, and play games at blazing speed.
    Golfdriver97, belodion and libra89 like this.
    02-01-2016 10:26 AM
    Nice write up. Of the three, which would you suggest to someone? taking price, performance, and overall use into account?
    02-01-2016 10:40 AM
    Nice write up. Of the three, which would you suggest to someone? taking price, performance, and overall use into account?
    I would say go with the middle ground and grab the Honor 5X. Spec wise it has looks to have everything anyone needs.
    02-01-2016 10:59 AM
    I'll avoid mentioning Swappa, eBay auctions, and Craigslist since those are mostly for used phones.

From $160 to $250, I've used the Honor 5X ($200). Solid device with what I feel are forgiveable quirks at that price.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    02-01-2016 01:34 PM
    This is awesome, thank you for this! I was considering the smaller Alcatel Idol but not sure.
    02-01-2016 10:16 PM
    This is awesome, thank you for this! I was considering the smaller Alcatel Idol but not sure.
    What's your budget?
    02-03-2016 03:20 PM
    What's your budget?
    No more than $300. I'm also picky about not having a "big" phone. Band 12, for at least data is very important for me at work. At the moment, the Nexus 5x is winning, aside from the size of it.
    02-03-2016 03:33 PM
    No more than $300. I'm also picky about not having a "big" phone. Band 12, for at least data is very important for me at work. At the moment, the Nexus 5x is winning, aside from the size of it.
    If Band 12 on T-Mobile is important, I'd stay away from the other midrange phones.

02-03-2016 03:52 PM
    If Band 12 on T-Mobile is important, I'd stay away from the other midrange phones.

Thanks for the advice! My work sucks with the connection there. To be honest, I'm not sure if it is a band 12 thing or a lack of AWS thing, but I have a Windows phone with band 12 that holds as well as it can at work, and I'll like to copy that. I'm pretty sure I will get the 5x now, just a matter of deciding where to buy it from.
    02-03-2016 04:00 PM

5" HD display; Brilliant display quality and the strength of Corning® Gorilla® Glass
    4G LTE Speed; Browse, stream music, watch video, and play games at blazing speed.
    And at this point, I believe non-carrier models of the Moto G have Marshmallow now.
    02-04-2016 12:18 PM
    Continuing on my budget phones thread here are ones that I think are worth mentioning in the $160 to $250 range.

OnePlus X - $249

OnePlus decided to come out with an even lower cost phone that has some great specs for a budget phone. The phone looks great and feels pretty great in hand. For US customers make sure that you know that it is missing band 12 for T-Mobile and 17 for AT&T. i did not notice any LTE issues when I was using the phone on Cricket but some people may see drop in LTE coverage if they buy this phone. The display on the phone was pretty great. It is hard to find a budget phone that has a Active Matrix OLED and not an LCD screen.

OxygenOS, Snapdragon 801 Quad Core 2.3GHz
    5.0 inch OLED screen 1920*1080 pixels
    2GB RAM 16GB ROM, Micro SD up to 128GB (not included)
    8.0MP front camera, 13.0MP back camera
    Support Network WCDMA, GSM, FDD-LTE;Support GPS, Wifi, bluetooth etc

ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 4.7 - $176

Featuring Award-Winning JBL Audio by Harman IDOL™ 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience! With dual front-facing JBL stereo speakers IDOL™ 3 packs professional audio quality to the palm of your hand for true-to-life sound.
    IDOL™ 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor™ Color Enhance technology giving the IDOL™ 3 a vivid cinematic color experience right in the palm of your hand.
    Pocket Perfect Form Factor: The IDOL™ 3 (4.7) is designed to be slim and compact for a first class user experience.
    Powered by an Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 processor the IDOL™ 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity to help keep up with your fast paced life. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming.
    Break free of carrier contracts with the award-winning IDOL™ 3. Recognized for delivering a high-quality crisp viewing experience slim elegant design and unique features like a fully reversible user-interface the IDOL ™ 3 has all the features.

ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 5.5 - $249

Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers). Unlocked cell phones will not work with CDMA Carriers like Sprint, Verizon, Boost or Virgin
    True to life music featuring JBL audio with award-winning JBL audio, IDOL 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience. With dual front-facing stereo speakers, the IDOL 3 packs professional audio quality for true-to-life sound.
    IDOL 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor Color Enhance technology, giving the IDOL 3 a vivid cinematic color experience. Get a clear view of your pictures and videos from any angle, even in direct sunlight
    IDOL 3 comes packed with a 13MP main camera and wide-angle 8MP front camera that will excite even the most passionate photophilic with a full-featured camera application, including time-lapse, HDR, panoramic and manual mode
    Powered by an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 processor, the IDOL 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming, made all the more realistic with 5.1 surround sound

I want to gift a phone to my friend. And my budget is not higher than $200. Among this list which one should i buy?
    02-06-2016 04:16 AM
    I want to gift a phone to my friend. And my budget is not higher than $200. Among this list which one should i buy?
    I think the Honor 5X would make a great gift.
    02-06-2016 07:04 AM
    I think the Honor 5X would make a great gift.
    Honor 5x is also a pretty nice phone, i'll think of it.
    02-20-2016 07:30 PM
    Out of the recommended phones which one has the better camera?
    02-24-2016 11:07 PM
    ahh helpful.. I was looking for suggestion for purchasing a phone in this budget.. really greatful ..
    02-27-2016 02:25 PM
    What about Le 1s and Redmi note 3?
    03-04-2016 03:43 AM
    Great list, all great phones. Although, even though it isn't the best, the Moto E 2nd Gen is also a spectacular phone for the price it's sold at.
    03-16-2016 11:44 AM
    i guess the idol 5.5
    03-17-2016 05:57 PM
    i like the alcatel idol 5.5 is there someone using it? how the performance, most likely the battery? thanks
    03-18-2016 10:46 PM
    Asus Zenfone 2 is the best. For just $250 I got a great phone, good performance, good graphics and a vibrant community of users.
    03-19-2016 02:23 AM
    I bought a cheap android china Phone and I love it. I payed under $100 for a fast octa core with 8Gb rom and 2Gb ram.
    The camera works good and the battery lasts for around 3 days with normal use.
    I got a 2nd battery and flipcase included

I was not sure about buying a china phone (without brand) but after 2 months of using it I love it
    03-19-2016 08:37 AM
    I bought the Honor 5X and overall, it's been money well spent. Decent specs and battery life, camera quality is also pretty reasonable for the price. Lack of screen protection is something to be aware of, but can be easily remedied with a tempered glass.
    03-25-2016 08:49 PM
    its best to Run with the Alcatel Idol 5.5 or Asus Zenphone2 in regards to ram and screen and also camera. You could also add BLU VIVO XL 4G in it also which Cost 149 with a 13 MP Rear and 5 MP front facing cameras. 5.5" Display or is Sister Phone BLU VIVO 5 with same specs difference being the 3G RAM to the latter 2G RAM and the Cost is 199
    04-05-2016 10:46 AM
    Nice list..
    I will suggest Asus Zenphone2 or OnePlus X to go in this range, you will find superb features in these android phones.
    04-06-2016 06:29 AM
    I got a one Plus X recently, and it was smooth, crystal clear n small. Was satisfied with the appearance n design too. The camera issues it was facing was somehow mitigate via a recent hotfix. Only flaw, battery drains out rather fast bet 7-8 hours of use.
    04-20-2016 08:25 PM
30 12