[LIST] In case of emergency, break glass...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Emergencies...I was thinking of if the random event of if a fire started in my apartment building, what would I want to take with me. And several other thoughts rattled around in my head, and suddenly, I thought: 'Self, it would be pretty cool to come up with a list of things to have in small to medium sized bag with things to have in it if you only have time to grab a few things and get out safely.'

I thought of this: People have data. Usually in things where if in the case of a fire, once it's destroyed, it's gone. Now, in theory, everyone should have several copies of files in several different places to prevent catastrophic damage to happen to the one and only copy of files.

So, here is my list:

#1. 1 small medium sized camera bag. To elaborate, any kind of zipper bag that is of a semi decent size. Camera bag came to mind first as that size/shape/design is really easy to come by.

#2. 1 External battery charger. The larger capacity, the better. I have a 12k Aukey that is a nice size, about the same length as the Note 5.

#3. 1 Spare wall charger. By now, everyone has extra wall chargers. Some are probably sitting in a corner gathering dust. Here is a way to bring it back to life.

#4. 2 or 3 extra data cables. Same as above. By now, everyone has an extra cord or two. Toss them in the bag.

#5. External portable Hard drive. These are getting more and more affordable with each passing year. I think Amazon has 1 TB WD ones for about $60. Any USB compatibility is fine.

#6. Any size jump drive. These are getting more affordable every year as well. I would say make sure they are USB 3.0 compatible.

#7. Extra cell phone. Again, it's to the point where people have an extra one of these (or maybe half a dozen) laying around.

#8. Making DVD backups of the most important stuff.

Toss everything in the camera bad, and you have a single bag to grab as opposed to scrambling around the house.

Now for the habitual things. I would suggest getting into a habit of selecting a day of the week to do backups of all your files. PC, phone, tablet, etc. Make a calendar event to go off. Even if it's on Sunday during the ball game. You can still watch the game and back up your stuff at the same time.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital