[Guide] Full screen ads. How to find the culprit.

Lundavra

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Full screen ads. How to find the culprit.

A few days ago whilst checking Recent Apps, I saw "Reader" and soon afterwards or same time an advert popped up. "Reader" is PDF Reader so I did a Force Stop.

I have not seen any adverts since then even though I have been turning WiFi on several times a day and watching for any adverts.

This morning I noticed the PDF Reader icon so clicked on it, it seemed to try to start then an advert appeared immediately.

I did Force Stop for PDF Reader and will monitor for several days to see if any adverts appear again the take off the Stop and see if an advert appears.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

A few days ago whilst checking Recent Apps, I saw "Reader" and soon afterwards or same time an advert popped up. "Reader" is PDF Reader so I did a Force Stop.

I have not seen any adverts since then even though I have been turning WiFi on several times a day and watching for any adverts.

This morning I noticed the PDF Reader icon so clicked on it, it seemed to try to start then an advert appeared immediately.

I did Force Stop for PDF Reader and will monitor for several days to see if any adverts appear again the take off the Stop and see if an advert appears.
Excellent! Glad you managed to find the culprit and thanks for the follow up! I've seen other members reporting the PDF reader as well, is this an app that came preinstalled or did you download it from the Play Store?

Lundavra

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

Gone!

I looked through Playstore to try and work out which it was, sure it was version 2.35 and just called Reader.

P1Ty

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site

Yes I'm still getting ads and I will try the recent apps option that you are saying... I'll update you later...

justmeee

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site

Update. It is strange because if you look at the screenshots above it is not there, but it appears it was a calculator app. After looking at all the currently running apps a million times, one of the times I notoced the calculator app and realized that I dowbloaded it not too long ago. I deleted it and since the haven't gotten any adds. I hope this is the end of it for me. It has been super annoying since getting this app and getting these ads.

Yes Yes Yes on the calculator app!

I followed on the holding the ad & looking in the notification bar & it led me to a math calculator i downloaded only days before.

so in the app manager I went in and force stopped it, cleared the cache, took all permissions away.
whats strange is even after I unchecked all permissions and a warning would show that it may not work properly blablah...
I would deny anyway.
then it would automatically have rechecked the phone permission when i go back to check that section in the app manager info on the app.

Ive uninstalled it and so far so good.
but its only been a few minutes so only time will tell.

it was really uncomfortable having ads on my screen even while im in other apps or just my home screen.
Felt like an invasion of our already assumed privacy.

I hope I killed the problem.

Magic 69

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site

My phone did an update and I have an app called in launcher go to settings and turn off notifications

Ellis_Ja9

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site

How exactly do you find them when they begin as soon as you turn a brand new, from the box phone? People trying to tell me it's an app I installed, when I started getting them BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING. So. Since they started BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING on a brand new phone, why are they happening and how do I get rid of them?

Every day we see new threads asking about the same problem, "I'm getting full screen ads on my phone, please help me to stop them!". They are annoying as hell but fortunately there are different ways to find the culprit and stop those ads.

I "infected" my backup phone with a couple of apps known to push these ads and with the help of the Ambassadors Team and feedback from the forums this is what we found.

It's an app.

This problem is caused by an app that we downloaded, so the way to fix it is to find the culprit and kill it with fire. Simple. And by fire I mean, go to settings - apps - select the app - force stop - storage - clear data and only then hit the uninstall button.

In my experience it took a few days before the ads started to show up (sneaky devs), so try to remember which apps were installed or updated in the last week and there's a big chance the culprit will be one of them.

As a general rule, every time you install a new app or have any doubt about those already installed check the reviews on the Play Store. Usually you'll find lots of negative reports for this kind of app. Oh! and don't forget to leave your own review once you find which one gave you those pesky ads.

Now let's try to find the culprit.

(You can see screenshots for all these procedures on my next post).

Recent apps.

Some apps/ads leave a record on your recent apps overview, so right after getting an ad hit the recent apps/multitasking button and search for a card with this ad on it. If you find it, long press the small icon top left on that card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.

Unfortunately some devs managed to avoid leaving this record and we'll need to dig deeper. Yeah, those guys are clever and know how to hide any trace.

We need a tool.

Depending on your phone and version of Android you'll need to enable the Developer Options to dig deeper. If you haven't enabled this option yet go to settings - about phone and tap 7-10 times on 'Build Number'. That's it, now they will be available when you scroll all the way down your general settings. Don't worry, just don't go wild enabling options in that menu and remember to keep the toggle off - the options we need will be available even when it's off.

Running Services.

After getting an ad go to settings - developer options - running services and see which apps show up on that list. Can you find any app that shouldn't be there? Any running app that you didn't use recently? This list can give you clues of any app that is running in the background when it shouldn't be, and probably our target will be there.

Memory hogs.

I found that apps pushing ads like to run all the time. This is normal for system apps, launchers, keyboards, Google or IM apps, but unacceptable for photo editors or compasses (my choice when installing nasty apps). So, we need to check which apps show up high on our RAM/Memory Usage list.

This is easier said than done thanks to Android fragmentation and OEMs taking weird decisions. Depending on your phone and Android version you'll need to use different options to check your memory usage.

- In old stock(ish) Android versions go to settings - memory.
- Recent Android versions buried the memory settings in the Developer Options.
- Some launchers can create an activity widget to access the memory usage screen.
- Some manufacturers have a similar option under 'Device Maintenance' (why Samsung, why!?!) or something maybe named Smart whatever (a.k.a. useless RAM cleaners).

Aaaaanyway. I hope you find this option in your settings and if you need help let us know which phone you have and we'll try to show you the right steps.

Once you get that list with the high RAM usage see which odd apps compete with your system ones. Most likely you'll see an app that is not supposed to be there and if you select it you'll see that its frequency is close to 100%.

And now we are back to the 'kill it with fire' thing!

Did you manage to find the app that was pushing those ads? Did it work? Do you need any help? Let us know how it went - your feedback is the most important thing when trying to fix this kind of problem.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
How exactly do you find them when they begin as soon as you turn a brand new, from the box phone? People trying to tell me it's an app I installed, when I started getting them BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING. So. Since they started BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING on a brand new phone, why are they happening and how do I get rid of them?
Did you restore your old settings and apps when setting the new phone up? It's possible that one of your old apps was restored and started pushing those ads.

This is what happened with a friend. She was having these ads on her brand new phone and she told me that no new app had been installed. The culprit was a free antivirus that was restored from her old phone.

In her case it took just 5 minutes to find the culprit using the Developer Options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellis_Ja9

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site

I never had an ad issue with my previous phone, not a single full-page, banner, or bubble ad. I went from a Galaxy S7 Edge(never an issue), to a LG V30+(issues from the start). Actually never had an issue with any of my Galaxy phones in regards to unwanted ads, it only started when I got this LG.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I never had an ad issue with my previous phone, not a single full-page, banner, or bubble ad. I went from a Galaxy S7 Edge(never an issue), to a LG V30+(issues from the start). Actually never had an issue with any of my Galaxy phones in regards to unwanted ads, it only started when I got this LG.
Those apps take some time to start pushing ads, I guess to make detection more difficult (you can read about this on my original post). There are a few possible explanation why the app wasn't pushing ads on an old phone, maybe a recent update or timing or different Android version ...

With my friend happened something similar, no ads on her old ZenFone and constant ads on her brand new Samsung.

tonymricci

Dec 26, 2018
Visit site

thanks for the tip on removing the offending apps. in our case it was the calculator app which when removed solved the problem

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

thanks for the tip on removing the offending apps. in our case it was the calculator app which when removed solved the problem
Welcome to the forums. Glad it helped and thanks for your feedback. Do you remember which calculator app in particular?

tonymricci

Dec 26, 2018
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. Glad it helped and thanks for your feedback. Do you remember which calculator app in particular?

I don't know the name of the specific calculator app. It had a winking owl look at the top right portion of the app icon.

Estelle888

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
Every day we see new threads asking about the same problem, "I'm getting full screen ads on my phone, please help me to stop them!". They are annoying as hell but fortunately there are different ways to find the culprit and stop those ads.

I "infected" my backup phone with a couple of apps known to push these ads and with the help of the Ambassadors Team and feedback from the forums this is what we found.

It's an app.

This problem is caused by an app that we downloaded, so the way to fix it is to find the culprit and kill it with fire. Simple. And by fire I mean, go to settings - apps - select the app - force stop - storage - clear data and only then hit the uninstall button.

In my experience it took a few days before the ads started to show up (sneaky devs), so try to remember which apps were installed or updated in the last week and there's a big chance the culprit will be one of them.

As a general rule, every time you install a new app or have any doubt about those already installed check the reviews on the Play Store. Usually you'll find lots of negative reports for this kind of app. Oh! and don't forget to leave your own review once you find which one gave you those pesky ads.

Now let's try to find the culprit.

(You can see screenshots for all these procedures on my next post).

Recent apps.

Some apps/ads leave a record on your recent apps overview, so right after getting an ad hit the recent apps/multitasking button (better before closing the ad) and search for a card with this ad on it. If you find it, long press the small icon top left on that card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.

Google Play Store.

If this didn't work open the Play Store, go to 'My apps & games' in the side bar, select the 'Installed' tab and change the way apps are sorted, selecting 'Last used'. The app pushing that ad should be listed at the top of that list or maybe right after a system app.

Unfortunately some devs managed to avoid leaving these records and we'll need to dig deeper. Yeah, those guys are clever and know how to hide any trace.

We need a tool.

Depending on your phone and version of Android you'll need to enable the Developer Options to dig deeper. If you haven't enabled this option yet go to settings - about phone and tap 7-10 times on 'Build Number'. That's it, now they will be available when you scroll all the way down your general settings. Don't worry, just don't go wild enabling options in that menu and remember to keep the toggle off - the options we need will be available even when it's off.

Running Services.

After getting an ad go to settings - developer options - running services and see which apps show up on that list. Can you find any app that shouldn't be there? Any running app that you didn't use recently? This list can give you clues of any app that is running in the background when it shouldn't be, and probably our target will be there.

Memory hogs.

I found that apps pushing ads like to run all the time. This is normal for system apps, launchers, keyboards, Google or IM apps, but unacceptable for photo editors or compasses (my choice when installing nasty apps). So, we need to check which apps show up high on our RAM/Memory Usage list.

This is easier said than done thanks to Android fragmentation and OEMs taking weird decisions. Depending on your phone and Android version you'll need to use different options to check your memory usage.

- In old stock(ish) Android versions go to settings - memory.
- Recent Android versions buried the memory settings in the Developer Options.
- Some launchers can create an activity widget to access the memory usage screen.
- Some manufacturers have a similar option under 'Device Maintenance' (why Samsung, why!?!) or something maybe named Smart whatever (a.k.a. useless RAM cleaners).

Aaaaanyway. I hope you find this option in your settings and if you need help let us know which phone you have and we'll try to show you the right steps.

Once you get that list with the high RAM usage see which odd apps compete with your system ones. Most likely you'll see an app that is not supposed to be there and if you select it you'll see that its frequency is close to 100%.

And now we are back to the 'kill it with fire' thing!

Did you manage to find the app that was pushing those ads? Did it work? Do you need any help? Let us know how it went - your feedback is the most important thing when trying to fix this kind of problem.

Hi Javier, thank you so much for all this useful information. I wish I'd read your post before deleting the app! Is there a way if stopping these ads after I've removed the culprits?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Javier, thank you so much for all this useful information. I wish I'd read your post before deleting the app! Is there a way if stopping these ads after I've removed the culprits?
Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if I completely understand what you mean. Which app? Are you still getting ads?

aweyrich

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Javier,

I am so grateful for such a thorough response!

I just uninstalled an app that might be the culprit based on your instruction. If this does not fix it - I will try some other suggestions you mentioned.

THANK YOU!

Andrew

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Javier,

I am so grateful for such a thorough response!

I just uninstalled an app that might be the culprit based on your instruction. If this does not fix it - I will try some other suggestions you mentioned.

THANK YOU!

Andrew
Thanks for you kind words. Tell us how it goes.