[Guide] Full screen ads. How to find the culprit.

RakeshMKN

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Every day we see new threads asking about the same problem, "I'm getting full screen ads on my phone, please help me to stop them!". They are annoying as hell but fortunately there are different ways to find the culprit and stop those ads.

I "infected" my backup phone with a couple of apps known to push these ads and with the help of the Ambassadors Team and feedback from the forums this is what we found.

It's an app.

This problem is caused by an app that we downloaded, so the way to fix it is to find the culprit and kill it with fire. Simple. And by fire I mean, go to settings - apps - select the app - force stop - storage - clear data and only then hit the uninstall button.

In my experience it took a few days before the ads started to show up (sneaky devs), so try to remember which apps were installed or updated in the last week and there's a big chance the culprit will be one of them.

As a general rule, every time you install a new app or have any doubt about those already installed check the reviews on the Play Store. Usually you'll find lots of negative reports for this kind of app. Oh! and don't forget to leave your own review once you find which one gave you those pesky ads.

Now let's try to find the culprit.

(You can see screenshots for all these procedures on my next post).

Recent apps.

Some apps/ads leave a record on your recent apps overview, so right after getting an ad hit the recent apps/multitasking button (better before closing the ad) and search for a card with this ad on it. If you find it, long press the small icon top left on that card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.

Google Play Store.

If this didn't work open the Play Store, go to 'My apps & games' in the side bar, select the 'Installed' tab and change the way apps are sorted, selecting 'Last used'. The app pushing that ad should be listed at the top of that list or maybe right after a system app.

Unfortunately some devs managed to avoid leaving these records and we'll need to dig deeper. Yeah, those guys are clever and know how to hide any trace.

We need a tool.

Depending on your phone and version of Android you'll need to enable the Developer Options to dig deeper. If you haven't enabled this option yet go to settings - about phone and tap 7-10 times on 'Build Number'. That's it, now they will be available when you scroll all the way down your general settings. Don't worry, just don't go wild enabling options in that menu and remember to keep the toggle off - the options we need will be available even when it's off.

Running Services.

After getting an ad go to settings - developer options - running services and see which apps show up on that list. Can you find any app that shouldn't be there? Any running app that you didn't use recently? This list can give you clues of any app that is running in the background when it shouldn't be, and probably our target will be there.

Memory hogs.

I found that apps pushing ads like to run all the time. This is normal for system apps, launchers, keyboards, Google or IM apps, but unacceptable for photo editors or compasses (my choice when installing nasty apps). So, we need to check which apps show up high on our RAM/Memory Usage list.

This is easier said than done thanks to Android fragmentation and OEMs taking weird decisions. Depending on your phone and Android version you'll need to use different options to check your memory usage.

- In old stock(ish) Android versions go to settings - memory.
- Recent Android versions buried the memory settings in the Developer Options.
- Some launchers can create an activity widget to access the memory usage screen.
- Some manufacturers have a similar option under 'Device Maintenance' (why Samsung, why!?!) or something maybe named Smart whatever (a.k.a. useless RAM cleaners).

Aaaaanyway. I hope you find this option in your settings and if you need help let us know which phone you have and we'll try to show you the right steps.

Once you get that list with the high RAM usage see which odd apps compete with your system ones. Most likely you'll see an app that is not supposed to be there and if you select it you'll see that its frequency is close to 100%.

And now we are back to the 'kill it with fire' thing!

Did you manage to find the app that was pushing those ads? Did it work? Do you need any help? Let us know how it went - your feedback is the most important thing when trying to fix this kind of problem.

Getting into developer options and then removing the suspect app helped...it was pedometer app which I installed which seem to have caused the issue . As mentioned in this post the suspected app was sleeping and did not misbehave for a while ...so it was difficult to detect...thanks for the tips ... appreciate it .cheers ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Full screen ads. How to find the culprit.

Getting into developer options and then removing the suspect app helped...it was pedometer app which I installed which seem to have caused the issue . As mentioned in this post the suspected app was sleeping and did not misbehave for a while ...so it was difficult to detect...thanks for the tips ... appreciate it .cheers ..
Welcome to the forums. Glad it helped and thanks for the follow up. See you around the forums.

Gupbiee

Aug 26, 2019
Visit site

I have a samsung galaxy s9 and having the same issue. The app seems to be internet explorer when I check the most recently used in google play and my most recent tabs. I cleared the cache, any history and denied most permissions. Still having issues though. From what I can tell in the developer options there aren't any mysterious or weird apps running. Anything else I may be missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190827-110841_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-110841_Samsung Internet.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190827-110847_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-110847_One UI Home.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190827-140936_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-140936_Settings.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20190827-140941_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-140941_Settings.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20190827-140946_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-140946_Settings.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 13

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I have a samsung galaxy s9 and having the same issue. The app seems to be internet explorer when I check the most recently used in google play and my most recent tabs. I cleared the cache, any history and denied most permissions. Still having issues though. From what I can tell in the developer options there aren't any mysterious or weird apps running. Anything else I may be missing?
Welcome to the forums. There's an app causing a similar issue on different Samsung devices. Do you have Peel Remote installed? Maybe restored from a previous phone.

Gupbiee

Aug 26, 2019
Visit site

I uninstalled it and have not had an issue for the past 2 days. Thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it! You are amazinggg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I uninstalled it and have not had an issue for the past 2 days. Thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it! You are amazinggg
Glad it helped and thanks for the follow up. See you around the forums.

Harshal Rankhambe

Sep 3, 2019
Visit site

Every day we see new threads asking about the same problem, "I'm getting full screen ads on my phone, please help me to stop them!". They are annoying as hell but fortunately there are different ways to find the culprit and stop those ads.

I "infected" my backup phone with a couple of apps known to push these ads and with the help of the Ambassadors Team and feedback from the forums this is what we found.

It's an app.

This problem is caused by an app that we downloaded, so the way to fix it is to find the culprit and kill it with fire. Simple. And by fire I mean, go to settings - apps - select the app - force stop - storage - clear data and only then hit the uninstall button.

In my experience it took a few days before the ads started to show up (sneaky devs), so try to remember which apps were installed or updated in the last week and there's a big chance the culprit will be one of them.

As a general rule, every time you install a new app or have any doubt about those already installed check the reviews on the Play Store. Usually you'll find lots of negative reports for this kind of app. Oh! and don't forget to leave your own review once you find which one gave you those pesky ads.

Now let's try to find the culprit.

(You can see screenshots for all these procedures on my next post).

Recent apps.

Some apps/ads leave a record on your recent apps overview, so right after getting an ad hit the recent apps/multitasking button (better before closing the ad) and search for a card with this ad on it. If you find it, long press the small icon top left on that card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.

Google Play Store.

If this didn't work open the Play Store, go to 'My apps & games' in the side bar, select the 'Installed' tab and change the way apps are sorted, selecting 'Last used'. The app pushing that ad should be listed at the top of that list or maybe right after a system app.

Unfortunately some devs managed to avoid leaving these records and we'll need to dig deeper. Yeah, those guys are clever and know how to hide any trace.

We need a tool.

Depending on your phone and version of Android you'll need to enable the Developer Options to dig deeper. If you haven't enabled this option yet go to settings - about phone and tap 7-10 times on 'Build Number'. That's it, now they will be available when you scroll all the way down your general settings. Don't worry, just don't go wild enabling options in that menu and remember to keep the toggle off - the options we need will be available even when it's off.

Running Services.

After getting an ad go to settings - developer options - running services and see which apps show up on that list. Can you find any app that shouldn't be there? Any running app that you didn't use recently? This list can give you clues of any app that is running in the background when it shouldn't be, and probably our target will be there.

Memory hogs.

I found that apps pushing ads like to run all the time. This is normal for system apps, launchers, keyboards, Google or IM apps, but unacceptable for photo editors or compasses (my choice when installing nasty apps). So, we need to check which apps show up high on our RAM/Memory Usage list.

This is easier said than done thanks to Android fragmentation and OEMs taking weird decisions. Depending on your phone and Android version you'll need to use different options to check your memory usage.

- In old stock(ish) Android versions go to settings - memory.
- Recent Android versions buried the memory settings in the Developer Options.
- Some launchers can create an activity widget to access the memory usage screen.
- Some manufacturers have a similar option under 'Device Maintenance' (why Samsung, why!?!) or something maybe named Smart whatever (a.k.a. useless RAM cleaners).

Aaaaanyway. I hope you find this option in your settings and if you need help let us know which phone you have and we'll try to show you the right steps.

Once you get that list with the high RAM usage see which odd apps compete with your system ones. Most likely you'll see an app that is not supposed to be there and if you select it you'll see that its frequency is close to 100%.

And now we are back to the 'kill it with fire' thing!

Did you manage to find the app that was pushing those ads? Did it work? Do you need any help? Let us know how it went - your feedback is the most important thing when trying to fix this kind of problem.

I used to get full screen ads too. And they used to last for a full 5 seconds which is very annoying if it pop ups when we are busy with something important. I used the 'seek and destroy' approach, only with a slight variation. To find out the culprit I ran the code '*#*#4636#*#*' on phone dialer about 10 seconds after encountering the ad, then went to app usage and sorted it according to the app last used. There appeared the name of culprit which was now caught red handed. It was a free vpn app. But since I needed the app, I just revoked some of its permissions and now I use it without watching any of those ads.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I used to get full screen ads too. And they used to last for a full 5 seconds which is very annoying if it pop ups when we are busy with something important. I used the 'seek and destroy' approach, only with a slight variation. To find out the culprit I ran the code '*#*#4636#*#*' on phone dialer about 10 seconds after encountering the ad, then went to app usage and sorted it according to the app last used. There appeared the name of culprit which was now caught red handed. It was a free vpn app. But since I needed the app, I just revoked some of its permissions and now I use it without watching any of those ads.
Nice tip. Thanks.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I just posted a thread asking about the same thing, guess I'll delete that. Same thing here.

I do have the Peel Remote installed as well. I'll try uninstalling that and see if that solves the problem :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ab1409

Sep 14, 2019
Visit site

For me is was the app GPS Averanging. Since I deinstalled it, the ads are gone.

I found the culprit in the morning when my phone showed an ad and I was able to see the last used apps. The GPS app was among the started ones but since I did not started it, I gave it a try and seems it solved my issue.

artemisxrpg

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site

Hi, I posted my questions on the android q&a but I was redirected here so I'll repost what I ask there:
For the past couple of days, my phone has randomly been launching chrome to some website saying that I need to update or that I won something from google. I haven't downloaded any new apps as of recent so it's probably not something that I downloaded and I only really use chrome to look up things once in a while. I have tried other internet browser and the same things keep happening. As of now, I have disabled/uninstall all the browser app and once in a while, I noticed the home button turning green and goes back to normal so I'm assuming something is trying to open up the browser but can't because there isn't any. I have tried using antivirus like malwarebytes and avast to do a scan but it couldn't find any issue. I have heard people saying that there may be an unnamed app that may have been installed but I have yet to see any suspicious app. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

I have tried checking the running services but I haven't seen anything suspicious.
My phone is LGV20

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma