Amoled vs. LCD

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
With the newer displays coming out, what is your guys' take on the basic Amoled vs. LCD? Which do you guys prefer?

I myself like the LCD of the M8 better than Amoled.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
With the newer displays coming out, what is your guys' take on the basic Amoled vs. LCD? Which do you guys prefer?

I myself like the LCD of the M8 better than Amoled.

AMOLED all the way. Had the Note 10.1 2014 edition and every one had Lightbleeding issue which is a LCD issue. Colors I prefer vibrant colors with AMOLED and Better battery life

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
LCD for phones. Although the lower power consumption of AMOLED is attractive.

I'm an old guy and on a TV screen prefer the natural colours of a plasma vs LCD, likewise on a phone also I find the AMOLED displays typically oversaturated too. I guess that's the way many smartphone manufacturers set them, to get that "gosh gee whiz" factor when comparing phones side by side in a shop (just like LCD TV vs plasma TV; except I don't watch TV in a brightly lit store).

AMOLED suffers screen burn in pretty badly; is this an issue on a phone I wonder, given the way they are used? Not so good in a dock on your desk I suppose, constantly displaying a home screen.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED. I like it due to:

1. zero uneven brightness, which is a common problem with any LCDs, the bigger the screen, more obvious it is.

2. ability to prolong battery life on a charge. unlike LCD, AMOLED uses zero battery when displaying black color, so by tweaking the display and adjust usage habit, it allows the possibility of real long battery life on a charge.

3. infinite contrast, this is very obvious when you use the phone in the dark... i.e., in the early mornings.

4. beautiful colors, now with best color accuracy as well.

I know there is people don't like subpixel arrangement on AMOLED, but with recent resolutions, it really is not a big deal anymore.

josepepepe771

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I think we are seeing very good LCD screens coming up from JDI and their incell tech. Although AMOLED do hav their advantages as blacks are true blacks and whites are true whites. Also with AMOLED you can save a lot of battery.

Jawman001

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
AMOLED is much better than LCD i think, because it is more saved battery and the dark is deeper.
This is just my idea :)))

LCD screens have gotten very good now and honestly if you don't do a side to side comparison with an Amoled then you will still be thinking wow for newer LCD's. Contrary to some believes the LCD panel actually uses less energy as per pixel fire up nature of AMOLED requires more energy.

[link removed by moderator]

In all fairness AMOLED do look nicer when compared side by side and if you don't intend to keep the phone for more then 2-3 years at a time then many will probably prefer look of AMOLED. Do not buy it for battery saving as if the apps or pics you looking at are not configured with true black value then you aren't going to be saving on battery.

My advice is look at the overall phone for your budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I prefer AMOLED displays to LCDs for reasons that have already been mentioned by people on this thread...however, LCDs do consume less power than AMOLEDs.

The best LCDs on phones in my opinion are the FHD Retina displays by Apple (not sure about the iPhone XR due to lower resolution) and the Nokia Pureview displays are also crisp and accurate. Huawei LCD displays are also decent.

However my advice is that when phones cost around $600 or more then they should really be FHD or QHD OLED or AMOLED displays...otherwise it better be an extremely good LCD display.