Google Play won't update apps automatically or notify me

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just did a full wipe of my OnePlus 7T the other day because of this issue.

I've only installed a handful of apps. I'm noticing that Google doesn't push any notifications when app updates are available. The Google Play store is also not automatically updating my apps. I have the automatic update option set to Wifi/Cellular. I'm very confused why I'm not being giving a push notification or that my apps aren't updating automatically.

What should I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery saver apps installed? Also, check your system settings -- is the Play Store app battery optimized? If so, turn off battery optimization for it.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery saver apps installed? Also, check your system settings -- is the Play Store app battery optimized? If so, turn off battery optimization for it.

Negative. All those options are off. I left the phone as "stock" as I could leave it. I only turned off a bunch of notifications for apps and made most apps not run in the background.

Sometimes clearing cache and force stop can get it going again, this happens both wifi and data?

Yes. I was under the impression the updates would only happen if the phone was plugged in? Still doesn't explain why I'm not getting the push notifications to update apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Negative. All those options are off. I left the phone as "stock" as I could leave it. I only turned off a bunch of notifications for apps and made most apps not run in the background.

Yes. I was under the impression the updates would only happen if the phone was plugged in? Still doesn't explain why I'm not getting the push notifications to update apps.
When you open play store you see bunch of updates?

Also need you to test if it happens both ways just wifi then test by turning wifi off and just use data ?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
When you open play store you see bunch of updates?

Also need you to test if it happens both ways just wifi then test by turning wifi off and just use data ?

Yes, I see updates.

What do you mean turn wifi off and just use data? I turn wifi off when I go to work and I still have to manually update any apps that come through during the day.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I see updates.

What do you mean turn wifi off and just use data? I turn wifi off when I go to work and I still have to manually update any apps that come through during the day.
Ok so it happens both wifi and 4g , clear play store cache and force stop it .

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok so we have to wait and see if any updates will give notification for a update.

Should I manually check for updates now?

Are there any other settings that could be blocking the pop-up update available notification? I have some Google updates turned off, IE: weather, stocks, but that isn't the Google Play app.

Under the Google Play app ALL the notifications are enabled. Under "App updates available" it says: "~1 notification per week." I don't remember seeing that ever.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Should I manually check for updates now?

Are there any other settings that could be blocking the pop-up update available notification? I have some Google updates turned off, IE: weather, stocks, but that isn't the Google Play app.

Under the Google Play app ALL the notifications are enabled. Under "App updates available" it says: "~1 notification per week." I don't remember seeing that ever.
Show me a screenshot where you see that?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What happens if you tap once per week ?
It takes you to another menu?

I don't have that option on mine , might be because I'm on beta 11 on my Note 20UScreenshot_20201124-223147_Settings.jpeg

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok yeah it's nothing , my other andriod phones say same .

I don't know if this is a problem. I opened the Google Play store and it loaded the "Updates" tab when it launched. I didn't press anything, but I noticed I had 3 available apps for update. I'm at work without wifi.

I don't know if this "ruins" the test we were doing.

Also, how often do push update notifications come through? Is it daily, or once a week?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if this is a problem. I opened the Google Play store and it loaded the "Updates" tab when it launched. I didn't press anything, but I noticed I had 3 available apps for update. I'm at work without wifi.

I don't know if this "ruins" the test we were doing.

Also, how often do push update notifications come through? Is it daily, or once a week?
It's hard to say, you can go weeks without a app that needs a update or could be days

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I should have rephrased my question. The moment an app can be updated, does Google Play push a notification to its user or does it do it on like a schedule?
Yeah usually Google play will say a update available , if you have auto updates it should give notification that those apps were updated also .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweettatas