Extreme Android 10/Samsung A21 problems/annoyances...

Embee19

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
My previous Boost Mobile LG phone ran Android 9, and I loved it! But I was tricked by Boost Mobile into buying one of their phones (Samsung A21) which supported their $10 per month plan. Of course, once I had bought it and activated it with Boost, THEN they tell me that price is only good for brand new customers! [GRIPE MODE OFF]

Problem One: about every 15 minutes, I hear Boosts' notification sound for no reason I can find. I look at the notification history and nothing I can see syncs up in time.

Problem Two: The phone makes me perform my unlock maneuver whenever I do just about anything! And often it will make me do this two or three times in the span of 10 seconds! I'll be texting or talking on the phone and suddenly it make me unlock again!

I don't want to jam all my complaints in one OP, so I'll stop here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Search for "secure lock settings" in the system settings. What is "Auto lock when screen turns off" set to? Try increasing that interval.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I have Samsung A21 and don't seem to have your problems, but I basically got it stock from Samsung I think, unlocked and not tied to or pre-loaded from any carrier.

It doesn't make sense to me that the device would be trying to lock itself periodically, or in the middle of when you are still using it, unless you have some sort of very short timeout set for auto locking. My "unlocking maneuver" normally involves using the rear mounted fingerprint scanner on the back of the A21, which is pretty quick.

For the Boost notification, maybe the pre-loaded phone has some sort of Boost notification sound set as default for almost all notification sounds. You should be able to adjust that.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Talking on the phone could lead to a requirement to unlock if the automatic lock timeout is really short, I think. Another possibility is if something is activating the phone's smartcover sensor, making it think you've closed a smartcover (which would lock the screen). Any magnets near the phone?

Andrew_0ID

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
Re: problem 1, the notification for no apparent reason. I had this today, every two minutes, and after several hours of frustration, I searched in Settings for "reminder" and found an Emergency Alert reminder set (apparently default) for every two minutes. Set to "Never" and the annoyance ceased.
What on earth is the use of an automatic reminder that doesn't tell you what it's reminding you of? :-D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: problem 1, the notification for no apparent reason. I had this today, every two minutes, and after several hours of frustration, I searched in Settings for "reminder" and found an Emergency Alert reminder set (apparently default) for every two minutes. Set to "Never" and the annoyance ceased.
What on earth is the use of an automatic reminder that doesn't tell you what it's reminding you of? :-D
Also check in settings >advanced features >notification >notification reminder not onScreenshot_20220115-222530_Accessibility.jpg

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...What on earth is the use of an automatic reminder that doesn't tell you what it's reminding you of? :-D

I believe it's for controlling an interval for if you want all those Emergency Alerts to keep repeating. I guess some would find that useful, for if they feel there is risk that they might inadvertently clear the original alert without reviewing the details, or maybe if they feel there is risk that they might forget the details after the original alert, and need to be reminded.

View attachment 340527

Notifications > Advanced > Wireless Emergency Alerts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz