Always on Ambient display

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So just as a poll type of question, how many people here for their pixel 3s use Ambient display always on feature versus leaving off and I don't know how much battery savings that actually adds.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So just as a poll type of question, how many people here for their pixel 3s use Ambient display always on feature versus leaving off and I don't know how much battery savings that actually adds.
I keep it off. I know it's not the most battery drain hog but it saves battery having it off so I keep it off.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I keep it off. I know it's not the most battery drain hog but it saves battery having it off so I keep it off.
yeah, I'm going to test out what it's like to have it off for a day or so and see if I like it not. I do like always having my notifications and the weather and the date quickly viewable. But I'll see how I feel. I'm in technically I can just double tap on the lock screen and view that stuff so I'll see how I feel...

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I'm going to test out what it's like to have it off for a day or so and see if I like it not. I do like always having my notifications and the weather and the date quickly viewable. But I'll see how I feel. I'm in technically I can just double tap on the lock screen and view that stuff so I'll see how I feel...
Yeah super easy but still cool having it always displaying.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah super easy but still cool having it always displaying.
yeah, that's the only thing about it. It's the fact that I do Love to always see my notifications whenever I need to, plus the weather and date. And that's a huge function for me. I think I'm just going to leave it on because no matter how much battery it might eat up it's just too important to me. I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
yeah, that's the only thing about it. It's the fact that I do Love to always see my notifications whenever I need to, plus the weather and date. And that's a huge function for me. I think I'm just going to leave it on because no matter how much battery it might eat up it's just too important to me. I just wanted to see what others thought about it.
Good point if it's valuable to you I'd say keep it on as well. I've used it on and off and in about a day for me used a out 8-10% battery.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Good point if it's valuable to you I'd say keep it on as well. I've used it on and off and in about a day for me used a out 8-10% battery.
Yep yep absolutely, considering like I stated before that usually during a week I'm hooked up to Android Auto or just charging off USB in my car, It shouldn't really matter to me I'm just very anal about battery power for some reason.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Typically I lose about between 2-4 percentage points for every full hour it's on. I use my phone as a bedside clock and it usually loses about 20-25% a night

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Typically I lose about between 2-4 percentage points for every full hour it's on. I use my phone as a bedside clock and it usually loses about 20-25% a night

Just realized the original question was about pixels so my answer may not be so relevant tothe others in the thread

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time and before bed just put screen face down until morning that way it's not on all night , wish Google put schedule mode for it like Samsung.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time and before bed just put screen face down until morning that way it's not on all night , wish Google put schedule mode for it like Samsung.
I use the pixel stand at night so at nights it's on by default via the pixel stand. During the day I have another pixel stand in my office in the basement where I work from home so typically maybe that's why I haven't had the need to use the always on display.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use the pixel stand at night so at nights it's on by default via the pixel stand. During the day I have another pixel stand in my office in the basement where I work from home so typically maybe that's why I haven't had the need to use the always on display.
Probably :)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's what I do a lot of time at work and a little bit at home. I'll put the phone face down so it goes on do not disturb and the Ambien display isn't on all the time. I might turn The flip to shush mode off because I don't always want it going on do not disturb mode when I flip it over on it's fac,e but other than that it's a nice mode to have. Especially, since the second I turn back the regular way, always on Ambient display kicks back in I can see all my notifications automatically.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's a very good thing to do. I would buy the Pixel thing, but I'm not paying 80 bucks for it. I know that's just marketing Wise from Google just like Samsung and Apple and I'm not buying to that either.. They're trying to act like apple in that regard. I don't believe a wireless charging stand should be almost $100. The cheapest I've seen that Pixel stand to go for on eBay is 40 bucks. I mean, don't get me wrong, it looks cool and very functional. It's just not worth what they're asking of course.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I got them when they first got launched they had a sell 50% off so I got 2 for the price of one or I probably would of only purchased one.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. So my new idea with the phone is in system settings for gestures, for the flip to shush mode I turn that off. I just flip the phone over whenever it's on a flat surface and I get the best both worlds. Always on Ambient display does turn off because the sensor turns it off which saves battery. Also when I flip the phone over to check any new notifications and always on Ambient display automatically turns back on. Haha yeah I wish Google and other retailers were having more promotional deals and sales for the pixel stand and when I mean deals I mean good deals. So I wouldn't have to hypothetically wait for the holiday season. But it is what it is.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I hear you. So my new idea with the phone is in system settings for gestures, for the flip to shush mode I turn that off. I just flip the phone over whenever it's on a flat surface and I get the best both worlds. Always on Ambient display does turn off because the sensor turns it off which saves battery. Also when I flip the phone over to check any new notifications and always on Ambient display automatically turns back on. Haha yeah I wish Google and other retailers were having more promotional deals and sales for the pixel stand and when I mean deals I mean good deals. So I wouldn't have to hypothetically wait for the holiday season. But it is what it is.
That's a pretty good idea. Let us know how that works out for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000