Why does the Google app cause other apps to flicker when switching apps?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Is anyone else on Q4 beta having screen flickering/flashes (just briefly) when transitioning between apps? Essentially, when you have 2+ apps open and you switch between them, the app you are switching to opens briefly then flashes the home screen before going back to the app. It's quite annoying, to say the least. It's hard to describe, but I'm not the only with the same issue: search - redit pixel 2 on beta fickers when switching apps

The culprit is the Google App, I believe, as the flicker only used to happen when I was on the Beta Google App, but downgrading to the public version solved the issue. At least until yesterday. With yesterday's public update, (7/2) the flickering has started once more. Only removing all updates from the Google App resolves it. Unfortunately, the app automatically updates...

Maybe some public awareness will get Google's attention?

Running Q4 on Pixel 3

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is anyone else on Q4 beta having screen flickering/flashes (just briefly) when transitioning between apps? Essentially, when you have 2+ apps open and you switch between them, the app you are switching to opens briefly then flashes the home screen before going back to the app. It's quite annoying, to say the least. It's hard to describe, but I'm not the only with the same issue: search - redit pixel 2 on beta fickers when switching apps

The culprit is the Google App, I believe, as the flicker only used to happen when I was on the Beta Google App, but downgrading to the public version solved the issue. At least until yesterday. With yesterday's public update, (7/2) the flickering has started once more. Only removing all updates from the Google App resolves it. Unfortunately, the app automatically updates...

Running Q4 on Pixel 3
Not seeing that

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Running Q4 on Pixel 3
Yeah, I don't get it myself. I tried uninstalling the updates for the application however I'm anal about having all my applications up-to-date in my play store. Mine is being update right now. I'm not sure why the updates to the application is causing multitasking to become janky. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I definitely had this and the Google app is the culprit. Uninstalled the update and Q behavior is normal. Sent a bug report.
Yeah definitely is , I didn't notice because it was never updated as I do that manual in play store . When i did go around to update it bug city lol

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You know also tell you this much, when you uninstall the updates for the newest latest Google application in the Play store, the phone feels smoother overall. now, I'm not so sure why it has such an effect overall in the use experience and it shouldn't but it does.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You know also tell you this much, when you uninstall the updates for the newest latest Google application in the Play store, the phone feels smoother overall. now, I'm not so sure why it has such an effect overall in the use experience and it shouldn't but it does.
Yeah it definitely does.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it definitely does.
And you're absolutely correct. I don't get why one system core application purely affects the entire user experience. I forced myself to uninstall the updates forward in the Play store and printing God that beta 5 fixes this issue overall

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And you're absolutely correct. I don't get why one system core application purely affects the entire user experience. I forced myself to uninstall the updates forward in the Play store and printing God that beta 5 fixes this issue overall
You can disable Google app , but it disables Google feed swipe to left , so it's deeply intergrated. Just like any bugged app can cause big issue this one no different.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah so far good
With Q beta 5, looks like we can update to latest Google App. I don't see the flickering anymore. Will keep testing ...
Yep yep, so far so good. I think that way I use ADB debugging to hide the little navigation bar just sure bar it messed up the smoothness for my gestures going to the home screen. There's a 2 second pause delay from when I'm in an application until when I swipe up and go to the home screen. I'm going to have to reset the command back to factory default and have my gesture bar on the bottom to see if that fixes the two second pause delay

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15