07-10-2019 07:36 PM
31 12
tools
    Is anyone else on Q4 beta having screen flickering/flashes (just briefly) when transitioning between apps? Essentially, when you have 2+ apps open and you switch between them, the app you are switching to opens briefly then flashes the home screen before going back to the app. It's quite annoying, to say the least. It's hard to describe, but I'm not the only with the same issue: search - redit pixel 2 on beta fickers when switching apps

The culprit is the Google App, I believe, as the flicker only used to happen when I was on the Beta Google App, but downgrading to the public version solved the issue. At least until yesterday. With yesterday's public update, (7/2) the flickering has started once more. Only removing all updates from the Google App resolves it. Unfortunately, the app automatically updates...

Maybe some public awareness will get Google's attention?

Running Q4 on Pixel 3
    07-03-2019 05:47 PM
    Is anyone else on Q4 beta having screen flickering/flashes (just briefly) when transitioning between apps? Essentially, when you have 2+ apps open and you switch between them, the app you are switching to opens briefly then flashes the home screen before going back to the app. It's quite annoying, to say the least. It's hard to describe, but I'm not the only with the same issue: search - redit pixel 2 on beta fickers when switching apps

The culprit is the Google App, I believe, as the flicker only used to happen when I was on the Beta Google App, but downgrading to the public version solved the issue. At least until yesterday. With yesterday's public update, (7/2) the flickering has started once more. Only removing all updates from the Google App resolves it. Unfortunately, the app automatically updates...

Running Q4 on Pixel 3
    Not seeing that
    07-03-2019 07:11 PM
    No, but creating an issue (upper left in red) at the Q Beta Issue Tracker will. (They may even ask you for a debug dump to see exactly what's happening. [They'll give you instructions on how to do it and where to send the link to it (you put it on Drive).])
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    07-04-2019 04:07 PM
    Moved to the Android Q forum for more specific traffic.
    07-05-2019 09:49 PM

Running Q4 on Pixel 3
    Yeah, I don't get it myself. I tried uninstalling the updates for the application however I'm anal about having all my applications up-to-date in my play store. Mine is being update right now. I'm not sure why the updates to the application is causing multitasking to become janky. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    07-06-2019 03:44 PM
    I definitely had this and the Google app is the culprit. Uninstalled the update and Q behavior is normal. Sent a bug report.
    mustang7757 and eric002 like this.
    07-06-2019 07:35 PM
    I definitely had this and the Google app is the culprit. Uninstalled the update and Q behavior is normal. Sent a bug report.
    Yeah definitely is , I didn't notice because it was never updated as I do that manual in play store . When i did go around to update it bug city lol
    07-06-2019 07:49 PM
    I have the flashing as soon as I try to rate an app in the Play Store. Every single time.
    eric002 likes this.
    07-07-2019 05:35 AM
    You know also tell you this much, when you uninstall the updates for the newest latest Google application in the Play store, the phone feels smoother overall. now, I'm not so sure why it has such an effect overall in the use experience and it shouldn't but it does.
    07-07-2019 08:52 AM
    You know also tell you this much, when you uninstall the updates for the newest latest Google application in the Play store, the phone feels smoother overall. now, I'm not so sure why it has such an effect overall in the use experience and it shouldn't but it does.
    Yeah it definitely does.
    07-07-2019 09:57 AM
    Yeah it definitely does.
    And you're absolutely correct. I don't get why one system core application purely affects the entire user experience. I forced myself to uninstall the updates forward in the Play store and printing God that beta 5 fixes this issue overall
    07-07-2019 10:09 AM
    And you're absolutely correct. I don't get why one system core application purely affects the entire user experience. I forced myself to uninstall the updates forward in the Play store and printing God that beta 5 fixes this issue overall
    You can disable Google app , but it disables Google feed swipe to left , so it's deeply intergrated. Just like any bugged app can cause big issue this one no different.
    07-07-2019 10:27 AM
    You can disable Google app , but it disables Google feed swipe to left , so it's deeply intergrated. Just like any bugged app can cause big issue this one no different.
    Oh, I completely agree. For now, I just uninstalled the updates.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-07-2019 11:03 AM
    Oh, I completely agree. For now, I just uninstalled the updates.
    Same here.
    07-07-2019 11:05 AM
    Same here.
    Yep yep, unfortunately so. ..
    07-07-2019 11:09 AM
    Yep yep, unfortunately so. ..
    At least temp fix by uninstall .
    07-07-2019 11:37 AM
    At least temp fix by uninstall .
    Yeah, true that.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-07-2019 11:55 AM
    With Q beta 5, looks like we can update to latest Google App. I don't see the flickering anymore. Will keep testing ...
    07-10-2019 02:32 PM
    With Q beta 5, looks like we can update to latest Google App. I don't see the flickering anymore. Will keep testing ...
    Yeah so far good
    07-10-2019 02:34 PM
    Yeah so far good
    Yep yep, so far so good. I think that way I use ADB debugging to hide the little navigation bar just sure bar it messed up the smoothness for my gestures going to the home screen. There's a 2 second pause delay from when I'm in an application until when I swipe up and go to the home screen. I'm going to have to reset the command back to factory default and have my gesture bar on the bottom to see if that fixes the two second pause delay
    07-10-2019 02:36 PM
    Yep yep, so far so good. I think that way I use ADB debugging to hide the little navigation bar just sure bar it messed up the smoothness for my gestures going to the home screen. There's a 2 second pause delay from when I'm in an application until when I swipe up and go to the home screen. I'm going to have to reset the command back to factory default and have my gesture bar on the bottom to see if that fixes the two second pause delay
    How you liking it so far beta 5?
    07-10-2019 04:30 PM
    How you liking it so far beta 5?
    Beta 5 is very smooth... I've also realized on always on Ambient display, when charging it actually tells you an ETA for how long until full charge to finally! cheshires are smooth I put screen animations up to 1.5 x it looks so beautiful Android Auto is 100% functional finally It only took them 5 months haha
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-10-2019 04:39 PM
    Beta 5 is very smooth... I've also realized on always on Ambient display, when charging it actually tells you an ETA for how long until full charge to finally! cheshires are smooth I put screen animations up to 1.5 x it looks so beautiful Android Auto is 100% functional finally It only took them 5 months haha
    That's awesome
    eric002 likes this.
    07-10-2019 04:43 PM
    That's awesome
    although the one thing I'm not trying to figure out is why on the ambient display the battery meter doesn't always show. It's weird.
    07-10-2019 05:27 PM
    although the one thing I'm not trying to figure out is why on the ambient display the battery meter doesn't always show. It's weird.
    Haven't noticed , but didn't play much with it after updating.
    07-10-2019 05:31 PM
31 12