dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Battery still seems woeful but I'll give it a day or two to reserve judgement. Night Sight has replaced Panorama in the camera app I see too

Take back what I said now. It seemed to dip quickly last night but after an overnight charge and a days use I'd say it's back where it should be. I gave it a 20 min top up in the car but still have 40% left with the day ending. On Beta 5 I'd have recharged 2 or 3 times by now

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Take back what I said now. It seemed to dip quickly last night but after an overnight charge and a days use I'd say it's back where it should be. I gave it a 20 min top up in the car but still have 40% left with the day ending. On Beta 5 I'd have recharged 2 or 3 times by now
That's exactly what I was going to say. I charge a little bit overnight up to 95% and then in my car this morning for Android auto, and it seems like my battery life is back to normal finally! I'm including some recent screenshots of my updated battery stats in beta 6. This is my normal everyday usage of my phone by the way.
09ef4d9e0ebbeb26d568183fae033c05.jpg
4d1088d00c51cf203ca9a2c852716ecb.jpg

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Where you find full gesture navigation in system settings, click on the gear icon to the right of it.

Thanks, Eric.

I apparently have to choose to either use gestures and run Pixel launcher or use buttons and run Nova launcher. I guess it's buttons.

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Eric.

I apparently have to choose to either use gestures and run Pixel launcher or use buttons and run Nova launcher. I guess it's buttons.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry to hear that. Hey to each their own! I gave up the buttons when Android cube beta 1 launch. I was all on board fully with gestures to be honest with you. But if you love using Nova launcher go for it! To be honest with you though, when I used to have my Galaxy S8 I ran Nova launcher on it for a few months, until I found a side loadable APK file for the Pixel launcher. Then I never went back. Lol.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Ah, gotcha. Sorry to hear that. Hey to each their own! I gave up the buttons when Android cube beta 1 launch. I was all on board fully with gestures to be honest with you. But if you love using Nova launcher go for it! To be honest with you though, when I used to have my Galaxy S8 I ran Nova launcher on it for a few months, until I found a side loadable APK file for the Pixel launcher. Then I never went back. Lol.

Nova launcher aside, I'm not a big fan of gestures only. Right now I'm running the two-button option. I would consider running the Pixel Launcher if I were allowed to delete the Google Search widget.

I was running beta 6 and using gestures for a few hours and then I was stopped and it defaulted to three-button. When I realized what happened I did a factory reset to start over with beta 6. The ban on Nova Launcher persisted. But, the worst was this morning. I woke up, turned my phone on, and was blinded by the bright light. My first project for this morning was to initiate the dark theme.

All things considered, beta 6 is working fine and I rather enjoy Android Q.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nova launcher aside, I'm not a big fan of gestures only. Right now I'm running the two-button option. I would consider running the Pixel Launcher if I were allowed to delete the Google Search widget.

I was running beta 6 and using gestures for a few hours and then I was stopped and it defaulted to three-button. When I realized what happened I did a factory reset to start over with beta 6. The ban on Nova Launcher persisted. But, the worst was this morning. I woke up, turned my phone on, and was blinded by the bright light. My first project for this morning was to initiate the dark theme.

All things considered, beta 6 is working fine and I rather enjoy Android Q.
Oh yeah I completely agree. I guess Android Q beta 6 is still not working with 3rd party launchers. Again, I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue still. It's definitely important to report that to Google though no questions asked.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess Android Q beta 6 is still not working with 3rd party launchers.

I use various 3rd party launchers and not having any issues. However to clarify I have a pixel 2. I also only utilize gestures provided by the 3rd party launcher. Further tho, I’m not a big gesture fan but googles pixel gestures that I do use work fine such as the drop down notifications and pulling up the app drawer.
I think those with issues maybe use a P3? Really, really happy with my decision to not upgrade to a 3.
From what I’ve been reading most people seem to favor the gestures over the buttons. But Google themselves stated that many of their users are not at all happy with the gestures and prefer the buttons. I hope by the time my P2 conks out google will have a solid choice option between buttons and gestures and that 3rd party launchers will be onboard. For me not being able to use 3rd party launchers drastically spoils the entire Android experience.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Was kinda hoping for some more dark mode with the native apps. Specifically Gmail, Google and the boot screen. I wonder if those will be implemented by general release. The calendar looks great IMO but more to do. Is it that difficult?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
All I've been seeing on the blogs for Android human and the gestures is people complaining about them non-stop. I know there's a learning cover with them in one and you don't have to use them, but they're not that hard to use and they are pretty intuitive. I also read with you and your other post, I really do wish Google would make native Google apps like Gmail as a prime example dark mode. It's too white in the Gmail inbox and if they're so serious about darkness for all core applications, then they should fix that immediately.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you been able to get force dark to work in Dev settings? It toggles for me but does nothing. Used to work a for me a few betas ago.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes sir I Have. That's the first thing I do is force enable dark mode in developer settings which turns most applications black and then turn my accent color to whatever I want it to be. If yours is not working for some reason, I would suggest rebooting the phone.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Was kinda hoping for some more dark mode with the native apps. Specifically Gmail, Google and the boot screen. I wonder if those will be implemented by general release. The calendar looks great IMO but more to do. Is it that difficult?
n

The dark theme in Android Q makes my boot screen black. I did a factory restore last night and forgot to set the dark theme before I went to bed and when I powered on the phone it blinded me.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
All I've been seeing on the blogs for Android human and the gestures is people complaining about them non-stop. I know there's a learning cover with them in one and you don't have to use them, but they're not that hard to use and they are pretty intuitive. I also read with you and your other post, I really do wish Google would make native Google apps like Gmail as a prime example dark mode. It's too white in the Gmail inbox and if they're so serious about darkness for all core applications, then they should fix that immediately.

Now that I'm back to using buttons I've figured out why I don't like gestures. On Google Keep, if I muff the page back gesture it sends a list to the archive. I can get it back but it's a nuisance. If I muff a page back with GMail inbox I sent one or two messages to the trash. Again, if I notice I can recover but it's a nuisance. So, I'll stick with two-buttons as long as I have the option. I think Google is heading to nothing but gestures.