jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I love that pixel launcher. Granted there's no icon packed support, but I got over that I just love stock vanilla Android. That's why I have a pixel phone after all hahaha.
I got it bc I assumed it would play nicer w Google Automation. And because it updates in a timely fashion.

But I am curious. What do you like about the Pixel Launcher? I'm being honest that at the moment I cannot think of anything it can do better that most other Launchers can't also do.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I wonder how many people actually use that search bar widget. I never search with it.

Regardless I've stuck with the Pixel Launcher for a while now despite having paid for Nova Launcher a long time ago.
Why? I have the Beta 6 and my Nova Prime works perfectly (so far).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Indeed! Isn't that why we all get an Android!
yep Tommy up. Indeed this is why we all going to Android. Because everyone's home screen is uniquely different. Every iPhone has the same Home screen no matter what. And barely any iOS user uses folders they just have icons all over the screen.
I got it bc I assumed it would play nicer w Google Automation. And because it updates in a timely fashion.

But I am curious. What do you like about the Pixel Launcher? I'm being honest that at the moment I cannot think of anything it can do better that most other Launchers can't also do.
I mean don't get me wrong I used to use Nova launcher prime all the time on my older Galaxy S8. However before my older Galaxy I said I had a Nexus 6P And I use the stop pick some laundry on that phone too. This is when the pixel launcher first came out! As for right now currently, I use The Pixel launcher because I just love stock Google I mean I'm a Googler Google Fanboy lol. I also didn't notice that what the weather would be over prime it just try to mimic the weather widget and calendar widget on pixel art, but the weather data was inaccurate all the time drove me nuts and was very frustrated to you. I don't know if Nova developers that fix that but that's what happened last time I used it. I've stopped caring as much about icon packs well because I'm so indecisive that it took me forever to find an icon pack that actually liked. I'm not saying third party launchers are bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just don't use them anymore. before I was ever since I love the Pixel launcher it be keep on like Galaxy S8 years ago, like I said, I use Nova launcher prime for quite a few months.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
yep Tommy up. Indeed this is why we all going to Android. Because everyone's home screen is uniquely different. Every iPhone has the same Home screen no matter what. And barely any iOS user uses folders they just have icons all over the screen.
Tell me about it. I really just do not understand Apple's obssession w it looking a certain way and... If they were going to pick one way... That's the way Apple chose?!

Pixel's UI does look very appealing and in that they differ vastly from Apple's UI, and that matters. But I felt very let down when I moved over to Pixel and realized how much they had embraced the Apple approach, that is: this is how it's going to look, period. I can't even choose to turn off the labels? I can't get rid of the Google widget? I can't move or get rid of the date/weather widget? I mean, that's just like deliberately trying to be a jerk. Lol. I'm not looking for them to have an overwhelming amount of options like Nova or Action. I'm not even asking them to meet in the middle. But on customizability, I don't think it's unfair to say that if Nova is a 9 and Action is a 7, Google is at a 1. Not a zero for they do allow some. But a 1. I'm just asking for a 3. At that point, I may well have used their stock UI.

I mean don't get me wrong I used to use Nova launcher prime all the time on my older Galaxy S8. However before my older Galaxy I said I had a Nexus 6P And I use the stop pick some laundry on that phone too. This is when the pixel launcher first came out! As for right now currently, I use The Pixel launcher because I just love stock Google I mean I'm a Googler Google Fanboy lol. I also didn't notice that what the weather would be over prime it just try to mimic the weather widget and calendar widget on pixel art, but the weather data was inaccurate all the time drove me nuts and was very frustrated to you. I don't know if Nova developers that fix that but that's what happened last time I used it. I've stopped caring as much about icon packs well because I'm so indecisive that it took me forever to find an icon pack that actually liked. I'm not saying third party launchers are bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just don't use them anymore. before I was ever since I love the Pixel launcher it be keep on like Galaxy S8 years ago, like I said, I use Nova launcher prime for quite a few months.

This makes sense. To paraphrase, is it fair to say: Pixel Launcher does what I need. It looks nice and does it very well. There is no reason for me to look elsewhere.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Tell me about it. I really just do not understand Apple's obssession w it looking a certain way and... If they were going to pick one way... That's the way Apple chose?!

Pixel's UI does look very appealing and in that they differ vastly from Apple's UI, and that matters. But I felt very let down when I moved over to Pixel and realized how much they had embraced the Apple approach, that is: this is how it's going to look, period. I can't even choose to turn off the labels? I can't get rid of the Google widget? I can't move or get rid of the date/weather widget? I mean, that's just like deliberately trying to be a jerk. Lol. I'm not looking for them to have an overwhelming amount of options like Nova or Action. I'm not even asking them to meet in the middle. But on customizability, I don't think it's unfair to say that if Nova is a 9 and Action is a 7, Google is at a 1. Not a zero for they do allow some. But a 1. I'm just asking for a 3. At that point, I may well have used their stock UI.

This makes sense. To paraphrase, is it fair to say: Pixel Launcher does what I need. It looks nice and does it very well. There is no reason for me to look elsewhere.
Haha you're right. The simple fact that the matter is that an Android lang, Google Pixel phones versus everyone else Aka Samsung and some LG phones cuz let's be honest they're on there many other Android manufacturers that actually sell phones anymore. Both home screen setups look different. At first I thought I was going to like Galaxy home screen set up. but after a while since I'm so used to you stalk Android on my realize that even with Nova launcher prime tweaks and icon pack customizations, it was still TouchWiz at the end of it day. That's just my opinion of course. That's the part I couldn't stand, some people like that, I'm just not one of them..

as far as the whole customization of the actual pixel launcher it's playing, simple, and it works. And it's accurate for weather and calendar information when I need the most. Again, my experience, Nova launcher primes weather widget which looks like pixels, doesn't stay updated accurate for some reason. Now the biggest reason for me to use a pixel phone like I said that's just me and my preference stock Google let me have customize the home screen to my liking with application shortcuts everywhere excetera.

I will say this much though, for Samsung Galaxy Android phones, The majority of users don't use half of TouchWiz features they don't even know what it does. It's a marketing thing. They're very gimmicky which is the main reason I don't like Samsung Galaxy phones anymore.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Why? I have the Beta 6 and my Nova Prime works perfectly (so far).

Keep us posted, Jay. I downloaded beta 6 and my Nova worked fine until the next morning. Then I got a message saying my launcher was incompatible and gestures didn't work. It automatically defaulted to three buttons. I changed it to two and then I remembered why I prefer buttons.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the pixel launcher and some of its shortcomings, I really like the pixel launcher for its basic android style. But of course the beauty of android and why it shines above iPhone is its customizability. I have an iPhone and like it for certain reasons but lack of customizing options is the downside that usually always causes me to come back to my pixel 2.
3rd party launchers are the savior factor. I learned quite some time ago I can set up nova to mimic the stock launcher exactly. Now I have the pixel launcher with no icon labels and various icons of my choosing or just plain stock. This is the best of both worlds and Apple will never let this happen to their phones.
Such a simple thing to edit, color or totally delete icon names on the home screen yet Apple is rigidly against it. It does not alter security so I’m clueless as to why they don’t pull that rod outta their butts and loosen up a little. At least they gave us a dark mode choice, yay! But since I use google apps exclusively on my iPhone they aren’t included in dark mode yet anyway.
Anyone wanting to customize the stock pixel launcher try nova and make it yours.
It sounds like with the pixel 3’s there are some restrictions so YMMV on the pixel 3, glad I kept my 2.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Regarding the pixel launcher and some of its shortcomings, I really like the pixel launcher for its basic android style. But of course the beauty of android and why it shines above iPhone is its customizability. I have an iPhone and like it for certain reasons but lack of customizing options is the downside that usually always causes me to come back to my pixel 2.
3rd party launchers are the savior factor. I learned quite some time ago I can set up nova to mimic the stock launcher exactly. Now I have the pixel launcher with no icon labels and various icons of my choosing or just plain stock. This is the best of both worlds and Apple will never let this happen to their phones.
Such a simple thing to edit, color or totally delete icon names on the home screen yet Apple is rigidly against it. It does not alter security so I’m clueless as to why they don’t pull that rod outta their butts and loosen up a little. At least they gave us a dark mode choice, yay! But since I use google apps exclusively on my iPhone they aren’t included in dark mode yet anyway.
Anyone wanting to customize the stock pixel launcher try nova and make it yours.
It sounds like with the pixel 3’s there are some restrictions so YMMV on the pixel 3, glad I kept my 2.
And this is simply what annoys me about Pixel is that they seem to be going down this road of slowly putting the rod up their... Well, you know what I mean.

But yes, Apple will always be on the losing end of its UI bc as strict as Pixel may get about allowing customization on ITS UI, it will always be an Android which means you can always use a different launcher like you chose to.

What does YMMV mean?

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Btw, fo anyone interested in doing what cbreze did, that is having a different launcher mimic most of what Pixel Launcher does but making it slightly more customizable, Chronus is a very good widget that looks and acts a LOT like Google at a Glance, but is highly customizable.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Keep us posted, Jay. I downloaded beta 6 and my Nova worked fine until the next morning. Then I got a message saying my launcher was incompatible and gestures didn't work. It automatically defaulted to three buttons. I changed it to two and then I remembered why I prefer buttons.
Wow. That's a bummer. I will keep you guys posted. Yeah, so far working awesomely. If it offers any insight, I am on the beta program for Nova... So maybe that's why???

As for the buttons, I use the two one. I really like it. I always found the three shapes at the bottom slightly obnoxious-looking. I do like the new gestures offered (which admittedly do not work on Nova right now) simply bc there are NO buttons. I prefer as little clutter as possible onu screen and although it would take me a while to get used to the new gestures, it would happen and I would have that junk at the bottom ofy screen gone. Lol

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"What does YMMV mean"

According to Urban Dictionary, "Your Mileage May Vary" or your experience and mine might be different.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone been able to test out the notification bubbles though? The only time I've ever seen it work is when I'm multitask with a phone call in the background. And even at that it's sort of annoying because the phone call is in the notification sheet as everything else is in Android, and it's on the desktop and a bubble. I mean I guess it's sort of makes one-handed use with the phone a little bit better, but not much so. I also went into locations and band settings for phone calls and try to turn the notification bubbles off. However, didn't work. Has anyone tried this yet?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Now haven't gotten them to work
Has anyone been able to test out the notification bubbles though? The only time I've ever seen it work is when I'm multitask with a phone call in the background. And even at that it's sort of annoying because the phone call is in the notification sheet as everything else is in Android, and it's on the desktop and a bubble. I mean I guess it's sort of makes one-handed use with the phone a little bit better, but not much so. I also went into locations and band settings for phone calls and try to turn the notification bubbles off. However, didn't work. Has anyone tried this yet?

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
This might be the cause of the battery drain. I'm on Beta 6 and I just noticed my version of GPS is the same version mentioned in this article. I joined the GPS beta program and am awaiting the update.
I can't figure out how to paste the URL, but the article is on bgr. com. Anyone running version 18.3.82 of Google Play Services on any Android phone is affected by the bug.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
This might be the cause of the battery drain. I'm on Beta 6 and I just noticed my version of GPS is the same version mentioned in this article. I joined the GPS beta program and am awaiting the update.
I can't figure out how to paste the URL, but the article is on bgr. com. Anyone running version 18.3.82 of Google Play Services on any Android phone is affected by the bug.
Here is the URL.
https://bgr.com/2019/08/13/android-bug-drains-battery-google-play-services-update-how-to-fix-it/amp/

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well , gotcha thanks for the updates, just installed the beta version of Google Play services so I'll update everyone as to if I notice a battery increase!
eac58bac909467391c3357dc3fad6abc.jpg

1c98a303b0452d19cb3c7b324b8151f6.jpg

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
How and where do you do this?