Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wah.:'( I was still hoping against hope that it'd be Quik or Quisp. The un-funning of Android continues?:-\

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
More disappointment from Google :'(
While I understand the culture argument, I can't help but think there was a better solution than completely getting rid of the fun.

Google's lack of direction with messaging and destroying loved services that their users put their entire lives & trust into..and the general UI design changes for the past five years...I don't know, man. I think they're kind of losing me, even though I've been with them since 2010. :'(

Google, I want to stay. I do! And I know I'm just an old man complaining about silly changes. This font/logo change and the dropping of the naming scheme is trivial; I understand that. But, combining everything together, I just feel so disappointed in Google these days.

I really wish there were a 3rd party option besides iOS and Android. I wish Microsoft or Blackberry had "made it". </3

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
More disappointment from Google :'(
While I understand the culture argument, I can't help but think there was a better solution than completely getting rid of the fun.

Google's lack of direction with messaging and destroying loved services that their users put their entire lives & trust into..and the general UI design changes for the past five years...I don't know, man. I think they're kind of losing me, even though I've been with them since 2010. :'(

Google, I want to stay. I do! And I know I'm just an old man complaining about silly changes. This font/logo change and the dropping of the naming scheme is trivial; I understand that. But, combining everything together, I just feel so disappointed in Google these days.

I really wish there were a 3rd party option besides iOS and Android. I wish Microsoft or Blackberry had "made it". </3

Blackberry got demolished because of its stubborn refusal to get rid of its signature keyboards. Nokia and Microsoft crumbled in the phone business because of their investing so many resources (and yet not enough) into making the Windows Phone great from a software perspective.

Personally I feel that Google’s decision not to give Android 10 Q a name citing ‘language compatibility issues and inclusivity’ is a let-down and cop-out excuse. Making Android less fun is taking a big chunk out of what Android is about. Sure, Android Q is going to be better than Pie, but I feel that the gesture system is a mess. At least OneUI and OxygenOS will always be there.

If we wanted a boring OS on our phones, we would all be on iOS. It works well but there’s little customisation and strict protocols. Android lets you do nearly everything you want with your phone (software wise). An example of how fun Android is in addition to the naming system is their Files app (the little blue character on the bottom) and the Photos App quoting “oh the places you’ll see”. They seem minor but all these little fun things add up.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry updated their OS too late and didn't get the apps. Android and iOS were already too far ahead. BlackBerry produced slabs as well and those didn't set any sales records.

Android Q in French would be Android a$$ so there's that. . .

Blackberry got demolished because of its stubborn refusal to get rid of its signature keyboards.

Personally I feel that Google’s decision not to give Android 10 Q a name citing ‘language compatibility issues and inclusivity’ is a let-down and cop-out excuse.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
While I'm a little disappointed, overall I agree with the change and Google's reasoning. It's better to make the change and move forward with a long-term view and less confusion. Better for the brand overall.

Rugish Dapeca

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Am I the only person who just doesn't care about this?

Nope, you aren't alone. I don't care if it is a letter, a number or "Quit while you're ahead". I just want software (and hardware) that works as advertised. If Google is going to release a major update every year and call it whatever they like, that's fine. The name doesn't effect the product at all.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only person who just doesn't care about this?
Nope, doesn’t bother me. I’m more interested with what comes in the update than what it is called. The desert names were a bit juvenile. Numbered releases seem more professional.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I really don't care what it's called either as long as it works well. If it doesn't work well I'll have my own "special" names I'll call it ;-)

On a side note though it does seem like Google is "sanitizing" Android to make it more ios like :O

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
On a side note though it does seem like Google is "sanitizing" Android to make it more ios like :O
It’s possible they are wanting to make it more professional sounding, looking and operating. I doubt they would start restricting customizations. I do think by losing the dessert names it already sounds more professional. Apple tech sites will probably say they’re copying Apple again.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
It’s possible they are wanting to make it more professional sounding, looking and operating. I doubt they would start restricting customizations. I do think by losing the dessert names it already sounds more professional. Apple tech sites will probably say they’re copying Apple again.

We all know that 50% of the reporting done on Apple tech sites like BGR are unapologetically biased at best and absolute rubbish at worst.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, to be fair, BlackBerry had BB10 before Apple and Google.