Dark mode - is it a big deal to you?

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Am the only one who doesn't really care too much about dark themes?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to convince others not to care and I am quite happy that sooooo many are excited about this feature.

I'm just curious if anyone out there is as indifferent to this as I am.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I may be in the minority, but dark mode is harder on my eyes than black text on white background. Buy choice is good.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
And I wasn't surprised ANYONE liked. I was just surprised by what seems an overwhelming and resounding demand for universal dark mode.

I listen to some podcasts (HI and Cortex) where the host always talks about this need with great impatience and I used to just think think this was something quirky about him. Now I feel quirky for not caring. Lol

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Finally, I used to not even get *why* ppl cared. I thought they just liked the stealthier feel, but what I'm gathering is that this is largely appreciated to reduce eye strain. Right? That makes sense. I'd just never thought about it before. I think my eyes are not very sensitive. I hate wearing sunglasses and sunniness never gives me headaches.

Is this mainly why ppl care? To reduce eye pain?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I like dark mode, but it's not a deal-breaker. I can take it or leave it.

I'm more interested in dark mode on a PC than on a phone.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Every app should have the option. Its better for your eyes and better for battery life with OLED screens. Actually better for the life of the OLED panel itself as well.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Every app should have the option. Its better for your eyes and better for battery life with OLED screens. Actually better for the life of the OLED panel itself as well.
More than not I find dark mode somewhat disorientating. And I don't ever feel eye strain. That said, perhaps it's still bad for my eyes despite the lack of discomfort. I mean, what you say makes sense.

And the OLED point is another one I've seen that makes sense.

I have a feeling this is one of those unexciting updates that I yawn at but then if it were missing in a year I'd be like, wth did dark mode go?! Lol

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Not all eyes... https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywyqxw/apple-dark-mode-eye-strain-battery-life

"For some people with astigmatisms (a common condition that most people are born with, to some degree), dark mode can be worse on their eyes, and, impairments that require it aside, the science showing that dark mode is any easier on the eyes than normal mode is still up for debate."

But having the choice is a good thing.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Some like it, some don't and some don't care one way or the other. But having the choice is the best option. I prefer dark simply because it is just a more mellow look and feel. I always thought the bright white was screaming, especially in a dark room. Also with the white I found myself adjusting the brightness a lot, now not so much. So far all the apps I have that are in the dark mode look really good. Looking forward to getting gmail in a dark mode.
Side note: I have astigmatism and notice no eye strain at all. Been using it since beta 1.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Some like it, some don't and some don't care one way or the other. But having the choice is the best option. I prefer dark simply because it is just a more mellow look and feel. I always thought the bright white was screaming, especially in a dark room. Also with the white I found myself adjusting the brightness a lot, now not so much. So far all the apps I have that are in the dark mode look really good. Looking forward to getting gmail in a dark mode.
Side note: I have astigmatism and notice no eye strain at all. Been using it since beta 1.
Likewise, I have astigmatism, but light or dark mode makes no difference to me. However, I have toric contact lenses and proper spectacles.

Blue light causes more eyestrain for me, which is why I use blue light filters on both my phone and PC.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Dark mode is definitely a deal breaker for me now that I've seen how unbelievably gorgeous and easy on the eyes it is. If they took it away tomorrow, I'd be looking for another phone that had it lol. So far dark mode is the real draw of 10 for me :-D

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have astigmatism, also had to get bifocals in the last couple years. I prefer the dark mode. Just like the white letters popping out. Easier to read for me. I think in the end it just boils down to personal preference

quietchaos501

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Finally, I used to not even get *why* ppl cared. I thought they just liked the stealthier feel, but what I'm gathering is that this is largely appreciated to reduce eye strain. Right? That makes sense. I'd just never thought about it before. I think my eyes are not very sensitive. I hate wearing sunglasses and sunniness never gives me headaches.

Is this mainly why ppl care? To reduce eye pain?
For me personally, the dark is easier on my eyes as I'm light sensitive and no matter how low I turn my brightness, it irritates my eyes...plus I just like the way it looks

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Turned it all the way off. The way it's set up, I liked in some places (Discover Feed, settings), hated it in others (calendar, etc). I ended up changing my wallpaper to something more complentary and turned dark mode off!

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for all your thoughts, guys. Not sure why but I'm just always interested in hearing how ppl like to interact w their phones UI.

Anyway, I will say that I love my calendar (agenda view) in dark mode. It really pops.

But, the thing I REALLY wish they would turn dark is the bootup screen. My Samsung was the same way. I'm surprised my retinas haven't permanently burned after having glaced at the screen a few times during reset.

Why does it have to be So. Damn. Bright?!?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your thoughts, guys. Not sure why but I'm just always interested in hearing how ppl like to interact w their phones UI.

Anyway, I will say that I love my calendar (agenda view) in dark mode. It really pops.

But, the thing I REALLY wish they would turn dark is the bootup screen. My Samsung was the same way. I'm surprised my retinas haven't permanently burned after having glaced at the screen a few times during reset.

Why does it have to be So. Damn. Bright?!?

This was suggested to me in another thread by @Anthow68 and I found it to work to get the dark boot screen. Go into your settings, toggle the dark theme option off and then back on and then reboot. See if that fixes it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. The fact that dark mode is easier on the eyes, better on battery and better looking aesthetically in the applications is a big deal to me.