Double tap to wake gesture

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If anyone used the double tap to wake gesture on the phone does it work consistently all of the time for you? Mine still doesn't work 100% of the time for some reason. Sometimes I feel like just turning it off and hitting the power button. Lol.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Would help if you let us know which phone you're referring to (not all phones are created equal). No issues that I've noticed on mine, but I'm not running Android 10 (Note 10+ running the last dessert)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
forgive me, thought I was in the pixel 3XL forum lol I'm on my pixel 3XL double tap to wake feature is inconsistent still...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow, how very interesting. I love the feature of double tapping to wake up the lock screen, but if it fails when I have a lot of notifications or when it's really important, I might just have to turn the future back off again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It works pretty consistently for me so far on my 3 XL. It's worth noting that on Pie, it sometimes wouldn't respond the first time I double-tapped.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that the double tap feature didn't work 100% of the time on Android 9 Pie (Pixel 3XL), probably 90% of the time. Sometimes it took two or three tries, sometimes it just flat out wouldn't work, and I'd have to hit the power button / fingerprint sensor to get the screen to wake up (even though I have the "lift to wake" feature enabled as well).

I received the Android 10 update this morning and so far double tap and lift to wake have worked every time, but it's only been about 4 hours so time will tell.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It works pretty consistently for me so far on my 3 XL. It's worth noting that on Pie, it sometimes wouldn't respond the first time I double-tapped.
I've noticed that the double tap feature didn't work 100% of the time on Android 9 Pie (Pixel 3XL), probably 90% of the time. Sometimes it took two or three tries, sometimes it just flat out wouldn't work, and I'd have to hit the power button / fingerprint sensor to get the screen to wake up (even though I have the "lift to wake" feature enabled as well).

I received the Android 10 update this morning and so far double tap and lift to wake have worked every time, but it's only been about 4 hours so time will tell.
Actually, to be honest with you, on Android 10 pixel 3XL, when I have important notifications and a lot of them and I need to get at them, and I keep on double tapping to wake the lock screen, there have been a few times where it doesn't wake at all. I have to hit the power button just to see notifications from the lock screen. most the time it works but I would say there is a 10% that doesn't.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Double tap works 100% of the time for me now, but it didn't always, you have to learn the force and speed that the phones algorithms expect. You need to make a firm tap, wait a split second then make the second tap and wait a second for the phone to do it's thing lol.

I was tapping to fast and not forcefully enough originally. You don't have to hammer the screen, just follow through more with your taps :p

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Double tap works 100% of the time for me now, but it didn't always, you have to learn the force and speed that the phones algorithms expect. You need to make a firm tap, wait a split second then make the second tap and wait a second for the phone to do it's thing lol.

I was tapping to fast and not forcefully enough originally. You don't have to hammer the screen, just follow through more with your taps :p
Gotcha, thanks for the tip, I'll have to give that a shot next time.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Damn dude, the right. Learning the algorithms and the double tap pattern and slowing yourself down really does work!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I just tried slowing down the double tap to wake up, and for few minutes It just wouldn't work. Unfortunately, I think I am just going to turn the future off.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I just tried slowing down the double tap to wake up, and for few minutes It just wouldn't work. Unfortunately, I think I am just going to turn the future off.

Eric I also noticed that if I had the phone part way lifted where the lift to wake setting kicks in it wouldn't always work. It seems to work best either mostly flat or mostly upright. I keep my lift to wake feature on because I like it... but you could just shut everything off except the double tap to wake and it might work very well for you and save you battery ;-)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Eric I also noticed that if I had the phone part way lifted where the lift to wake setting kicks in it wouldn't always work. It seems to work best either mostly flat or mostly upright. I keep my lift to wake feature on because I like it... but you could just shut everything off except the double tap to wake and it might work very well for you and save you battery ;-)
Actually you know it's funny, I'm trying to lift to wake future a little bit more so now. I know that I can just hit the power button but that just seems so old fashioned so to speak. I like the gesture controls honestly a lot. The double tap to weight feature by itself isn't consistent and it's not always reliable unfortunately. The reason I haven't really used the lift weight feature of the phone in the past, as I feel like whenever I'm holding my phone in the air and I wave it around or whatever It's going to activate the screen but I'll have to test it out more someone see if I like it. It is definitely more sensitive than the double tap to wake future for the lock screen. There is no question about that. Thanks for the help that was so far!

here's a quick update for you, I've tried the lift to wake gesture feature. It's definitely more sensitive than the other one, but it seems to me like every time I move the phone a little bit it wakes the lock screen up which I also don't necessarily want. I guess we'll just use a power button from now on.

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Double tap to wake doesn't always work on my Pixel 2.
I really try to like double tap to make just your picture on my 3XL, but unfortunately like I said, sometimes when I get notifications , especially important notifications every now and then it fails to work. Last night for example I had a few different notifications from emails And the double tap to wake feature didn't work at all. I finally disabled it and right now I'm just using the power button to highlight my lock screen.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Double tap works maybe 90% of the time for me and pixel 2. Lift to wake was way to sensitive and woke up in my pocket all the time with little effort. To solve the pocket problem I needed to insert it upside down. But consequently it would wake when barely moved one way or the other when out of pocket. Just got to annoying so I went back to the power button which works 100% of the time. ;)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Double tap works maybe 90% of the time for me and pixel 2. Lift to wake was way to sensitive and woke up in my pocket all the time with little effort. To solve the pocket problem I needed to insert it upside down. But consequently it would wake when barely moved one way or the other when out of pocket. Just got to annoying so I went back to the power button which works 100% of the time. ;)
Yeah, right, the double tap to wake feature is have is less sensitive and inconsistent and not functional all the time, and the Lyft to wake feature is hypersensitive and second I move my phone my lock screen brightens up! Like I said whatever I want to highlight my lock screen, from now on, I'm just going to hit my power button lol