Is anyone else underwhelmed with Android 10?

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Like the title says is anyone else underwhelmed with Android 10? Aside from a few cosmetic tweaks and whatnot from Pie, I really don't see anything about 10 that excites me. Honestly since installing 10 on my PIxel 3 my phone has randomly restarted at least once a day sometimes multiple times a day, I'm on Verizon so I had that phone call bug as well. So all in all with those issues and nothing particularly exciting about Android 10 I have to say that overall I'm underwhelmed by it. Surely I can't be the only one.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I actually like the build, but more for the security and privacy improvements than user facing features. Anytime security is advanced a build is worth doing for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not all changes are those you can see.

OS updates as a whole are becoming less and less breathtaking. Just perhaps a sign of a maturing system?

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Someone said it well in another thread. It seems more fit to be called a 9.1. not worthless, but also not worth the hype.

(Hi from Reddit, lol)

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Someone said it well in another thread. It seems more fit to be called a 9.1. not worthless, but also not worth the hype.

(Hi from Reddit, lol)

Now that you mention it, I think I saw this post on reddit too.. Oh gawd... PLEASE let's not turn this wonderful, sensible, and balanced forum into anything remotely associated with that Anarchical Dystopia. Arkham, that site.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Now that you mention it, I think I saw this post on reddit too.. Oh gawd... PLEASE let's not turn this wonderful, sensible, and balanced forum into anything remotely associated with that Anarchical Dystopia. Arkham, that site.
But this post was fine I thought.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

(Hi from Reddit, lol)

Let me take the thread a lil more serious and get us back on topic.

I honestly feel like there's too much pressure on all of tech to continue to "wow" every year. If I had my way, hardware design would advance every two years and OS every four, with point releases annually.

It feels like to me that everyone in the tech industry needs more time to think and develop products. 10.0 is fine, but it feels like a rushed build. Trying to do too much and having enough time to think things through much less complete builds.

We can see signs of this by the fact that there are announced features that aren't yet released. 1. Bubbles 2. Live Caption 3. Theming. All coming soon, but not ready upon final release. Screen recording and Desktop Mode, both signs of things Android wants to do but just didn't have time to flesh out for this build.

I think a point release annually allows for more development time without the pressure of a full step up every year.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
And don’t forget the “dark mode” which is being touted as a New feature of android 10 is not completely there yet either. Gmail? Nope. Assistant? Nope, to name 2 biggies that are still MIA. When these software companies have a drop dead date to hit on time I can understand how some things can’t be completely ready.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I honestly feel like there's too much pressure on all of tech to continue to "wow" every year. If I had my way, hardware design would advance every two years and OS every four, with point releases annually.

It feels like to me that everyone in the tech industry needs more time to think and develop products. 10.0 is fine, but it feels like a rushed build. Trying to do too much and having enough time to think things through much less complete builds.

We can see signs of this by the fact that there are announced features that aren't yet released. 1. Bubbles 2. Live Caption 3. Theming. All coming soon, but not ready upon final release. Screen recording and Desktop Mode, both signs of things Android wants to do but just didn't have time to flesh out for this build.

I think a point release annually allows for more development time without the pressure of a full step up every year.

I agree with this completely. I don't want razzle-dazzle -- I want something that works smoothly and is secure. If each major update were a wholesale reinvention of the OS, this forum would be inundated with users clamoring to roll the update back because they just got used to the previous version (just look at any Samsung forum around the time One UI dropped)!

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
And don’t forget the “dark mode” which is being touted as a New feature of android 10 is not completely there yet either. Gmail? Nope. Assistant? Nope, to name 2 biggies that are still MIA.

Isn't there an article in the..... main news room, sorry the term eludes me currently, on the Dark Theme for Gmail?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Isn't there an article in the..... main news room, sorry the term eludes me currently, on the Dark Theme for Gmail?

Don't see the article but if it says dark mode is coming for Gmail and other things we already are aware of that. Just still waiting is all.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree with this completely. I don't want razzle-dazzle -- I want something that works smoothly and is secure. If each major update were a wholesale reinvention of the OS, this forum would be inundated with users clamoring to roll the update back because they just got used to the previous version (just look at any Samsung forum around the time One UI dropped)!

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site

I think this is a good point. But let's not forget that Android itself made a big deal out of this, simply by calling it Q, er... 10. Had it been P.1 this would have been like a pretty cool surprise. Or P.DM (darkmode).

I think 2 years is more realistic for a new UU. But still, I agree w your overall point.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh yah .. This post is definitely cool... I was just bitchin' bout them crazies over there. Lol!:p:D

I remember my Keep guide was roasted on Reddit for using a separate camera to take screenshots as opposed to screenshots proper. I had just written several guides on recovery, and flashing Samsung ROMs in Odin mode where screenshots aren't possible. I grabbed my camera out of force of habit than anything else.

Reddit is fine to look at, very hit and miss to participate in.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd almost want to take it one step further. This year, 10 came out. 2020, 10.1. Now, 2021, is when we get 2 OS versions: 11, obviously, and 20.2, the last build to fix any other bugs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember my Keep guide was roasted on Reddit for using a separate camera to take screenshots as opposed to screenshots proper. I had just written several guides on recovery, and flashing Samsung ROMs in Odin mode where screenshots aren't possible. I grabbed my camera out of force of habit than anything else.

Reddit is fine to look at, very hit and miss to participate in.

OMG, you're an absolutely terrible human being for using a separate camera. Worse than Hitler. You should be tried for crimes against nerdmanity.:p

I really don't understand people sometimes.:-\

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And don’t forget the “dark mode” which is being touted as a New feature of android 10 is not completely there yet either. Gmail? Nope. Assistant? Nope, to name 2 biggies that are still MIA. When these software companies have a drop dead date to hit on time I can understand how some things can’t be completely ready.
Gmail app getting dark mode would be separate from 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos