Is anyone else underwhelmed with Android 10?

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
This happens LITERALLY every release. From my list I put together after Pie that is proving prophetic:
The cycle:
Upon release: Hey, this isn't as big an upgrade as it should be. <---- YOU ARE HERE
Shortly after release: I keep reading all these bad things. NOBODY wants to upgrade. This may be the worst most buggy release of Android ever.
Mid-Release: Hey, Google has fixed most of the problems.
Prior to new version: This version is SOOOO good, I don't want to upgrade.

JoshuaPack

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
The versioning is all made up, if you didn't know already. Each company makes up what a version number is. I remember when I first started learning programming, and wanted to know what the versions meant. I found out there is no standard people use and they just usually make up whatever. Then found out along the road, marketing gets involved and wants you to show it as a specific version because competitors are at that number. So let's skip a whole version number.

There are some people who wrote standards for it, but no one follows it. I wish someone did, it could give consumers a better idea what to expect, I would think.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
This happens LITERALLY every release. From my list I put together after Pie that is proving prophetic:
The cycle:
Upon release: Hey, this isn't as big an upgrade as it should be. <---- YOU ARE HERE
Shortly after release: I keep reading all these bad things. NOBODY wants to upgrade. This may be the worst most buggy release of Android ever.
Mid-Release: Hey, Google has fixed most of the problems.
Prior to new version: This version is SOOOO good, I don't want to upgrade.
But the original issue was not that this was sooo bad. It's just that it wasn't exciting. That's totally subjective, obviously. For ppl with hearing problems and big fans of darkmode it was. But for anyone else it was like... What was the hub bub about? My Dad has a Samsung. He doesn't care about DarkMode and can hear fine. I assured him he was missing nothing. Security updates? I'd have to see a study showing that Samsung users are experiencing more security issues than pixel users, per capitum, to tell anyone they should care too much about that. Again, the argument here isn't so much that nothing good came out of it. But just that it wasn't worth a whole new Letter... Let alone the big reveal of changing from letters to numbers. Lol

(I haven't experienced any lasting problems others have reported and over all, it's been a positive change. But really the change is pretty meh.)

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
But the original issue was not that this was sooo bad. It's just that it wasn't exciting. That's totally subjective, obviously. For ppl with hearing problems and big fans of darkmode it was. But for anyone else it was like... What was the hub bub about? My Dad has a Samsung. He doesn't care about DarkMode and can hear fine. I assured him he was missing nothing. Security updates? I'd have to see a study showing that Samsung users are experiencing more security issues than pixel users, per capitum, to tell anyone they should care too much about that. Again, the argument here isn't so much that nothing good came out of it. But just that it wasn't worth a whole new Letter... Let alone the big reveal of changing from letters to numbers. Lol

(I haven't experienced any lasting problems others have reported and over all, it's been a positive change. But really the change is pretty meh.)
Btw, totally my opinion. I'm not trying to convince you that it wasn't exciting. And I did forget about gestures. So, I can see the opposite case being made. I suppose it has to do w interests.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
The versioning is all made up, if you didn't know already. Each company makes up what a version number is. I remember when I first started learning programming, and wanted to know what the versions meant. I found out there is no standard people use and they just usually make up whatever. Then found out along the road, marketing gets involved and wants you to show it as a specific version because competitors are at that number. So let's skip a whole version number.

There are some people who wrote standards for it, but no one follows it. I wish someone did, it could give consumers a better idea what to expect, I would think.
Right. But if the decide to call what would be v10.1 Android 11 and make press releases about how it's coming out in 3 months and allow for "leaks" (eyeroll) and then six beta versions... well you can't blame the proletariat for getting excited that their phone experience may be made to feel somewhat new again. I mean, the hub bub it is completely Android's doing.

And, again, I CAN see how this needed a bunch of betas. I mean, they did do 2 things with UI that was exciting to many ppl (gestures and DarkMode) and rolling out the hearing impaired accessibility feature for videos is objectively a big deal and one that all can benefit from, tbh. So... Three things. Yeah, I can see how it deserved more than a .1 suffix.

JoshuaPack

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Right. But if the decide to call what would be v10.1 Android 11 and make press releases about how it's coming out in 3 months and allow for "leaks" (eyeroll) and then six beta versions... well you can't blame the proletariat for getting excited that their phone experience may be made to feel somewhat new again. I mean, the hub bub it is completely Android's doing.

And, again, I CAN see how this needed a bunch of betas. I mean, they did do 2 things with UI that was exciting to many ppl (gestures and DarkMode) and rolling out the hearing impaired accessibility feature for videos is objectively a big deal and one that all can benefit from, tbh. So... Three things. Yeah, I can see how it deserved more than a .1 suffix.

Yea, sounds like more of a marketing versioning.

Personally I think they should make it more like windows 10, where updates come in no matter the manufacturer. The manufacturer sends updates over too if needed.

But, that's me wishing. And change versions when you literally can't update due to hardware or other limitations.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've never figured out what "whelmed" is so I'm never sure if I'm underwhelmed, overwhelmed, or just whelmed. It's confusing. I do like Android 10. I also loaded Android Camera 7.0 and I like that, too.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea, sounds like more of a marketing versioning.

Personally I think they should make it more like windows 10, where updates come in no matter the manufacturer. The manufacturer sends updates over too if needed.

But, that's me wishing. And change versions when you literally can't update due to hardware or other limitations.

I have Windows 10, Android, and Chrome OS. Of the three, the one that has the most problems with updates is Windows 10. Since I got the Chrome OS machine I don't use the Windows 10 much but for the last year there seems to have been more problems than usual.

Of course, Apple is the best because Apple has absolute control of the hardware, software, and the user.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Android since version 2.2.2 Froyo........to me this is the most polished, smoothest running, most productive (with the best automated features to automatically help you get more done), and best looking version yet. It managed to exceed my expectations in the best ways, and even exceeded my concerns that it was going to need a factory reset to work properly.... it's been the first system upgrade that I HAVEN'T had to factory reset for it to work right. Overall I likey :-D ;-)

JoshuaPack

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
I have Windows 10, Android, and Chrome OS. Of the three, the one that has the most problems with updates is Windows 10. Since I got the Chrome OS machine I don't use the Windows 10 much but for the last year there seems to have been more problems than usual.

Of course, Apple is the best because Apple has absolute control of the hardware, software, and the user.

Yea, I think I meant more of the ability to update the OS without the manufacturer or carrier involved, similar to windows 10 or Apple. I think Apple is a better company to compare it to.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
All I know is since updating to 10 my Pixel 3 is choppy, slower, and Chrome has begun to freeze. Battery life has also taken a hit.

Anyone else experience a drop off in performance?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
All I know is since updating to 10 my Pixel 3 is choppy, slower, and Chrome has begun to freeze. Battery life has also taken a hit.

Anyone else experience a drop off in performance?

My pixel 2 is running very smooth and fast on 10. if I had happening what you're experiencing Id do a reset back to factory and start fresh.

binaryhermit

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I've used every Android major version since Froyo except Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich, and to me, it seems like Android peaked some time late in the Jelly Bean days.

Honestly the biggest downgrade was Android Pie and above acting like you have a huge notch in the middle of your screen even when you don't and only showing like 4 notification icons.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I honestly love Android 10. Dark mode is great. Battery optimizations are beautiful. I don't feel underwhelmed by anything.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I like android 10 a lot. Not under whelming to me. Best battery life on my pixel 2 yet and dark mode is a real pleasure. A really sweet,fast and smooth operating system IMO.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I like android 10 a lot. Not under whelming to me. Best battery life on my pixel 2 yet and dark mode is a real pleasure. A really sweet,fast and smooth operating system IMO.
Oh, I couldn't agree more! dark mode is absolutely awesome, amazing battery life and every application just works seamlessly together.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12