Android to iOS: The itch to switch

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Back in 2012, I briefly had an iPhone 4 and was just getting into streaming music. While the iOS experience was basic, I didn't know what I was missing on Android phones in terms of freedom and customization. My next devices were an HTC one x, Moto X, S6 active, S7 edge, S8, LG G6, and currently the Pixel 3.

I enjoyed the ability to connect my Android phone as an external drive, customize screens, and add widgets. I transferred files to SD cards and traveled with my media library. I felt that Google apps and services ran best on Android phones. However, I'm feeling much different now.

Customization isn't important anymore. Google apps run fine on iPhones, I stream and utilize cloud storage every day. My Pixel 3 camera kicks butt, but....the iPhone 11 pro is close.

Is anyone else considering the switch? I feel the gap between iOS and Android has closed. One of the major factors for me is the quality of hardware and the apple watch.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Back in 2012, I briefly had an iPhone 4 and was just getting into streaming music. While the iOS experience was basic, I didn't know what I was missing on Android phones in terms of freedom and customization. My next devices were an HTC one x, Moto X, S6 active, S7 edge, S8, LG G6, and currently the Pixel 3.

I enjoyed the ability to connect my Android phone as an external drive, customize screens, and add widgets. I transferred files to SD cards and traveled with my media library. I felt that Google apps and services ran best on Android phones. However, I'm feeling much different now.

Customization isn't important anymore. Google apps run fine on iPhones, I stream and utilize cloud storage every day. My Pixel 3 camera kicks butt, but....the iPhone 11 pro is close.

Is anyone else considering the switch? I feel the gap between iOS and Android has closed. One of the major factors for me is the quality of hardware and the apple watch.

iOS is still iOS, so it's a no from me. However a few people have had some recent success with the switch... and while this isn't regarding Android 10, @Almeuit made the switch and seems to be enjoying it. @dsignori recently switched, like 2 weeks ago, and seems to be enjoying it. You can check out his thoughts here...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/o...ble-happened-i-bought-iphone-impressions.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nothing wrong with iPhone or trying it out , it's a solid phone with great specs , but what I've seen through the forums is people that went with Apple after Android would eventually come back due to lack of customization on it being bored....good luck with your decision it won't be bad one either way .

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site

I am always open to it. My opinion only, but here it goes (as a happy Android user):

iPhones are quality products and they aren't as crazy expensive as ppl assume they are. And while their ecosystem naturally has pitfalls, it also has advantages in quality control that Android just will never have bc it can't.

Also, Apple's new Shortcuts has taken automation to a new level. Google has a looooong way to go on this. Their vision for automation via assistant is way to limited and they are so keen to pushing you toward voice commands. I'm honestly unimpressed w how poorly it all works together and undependable it is. I thought getting apixel and Google He would fix that (closed system?). Not at all. Following podcasts on Apple products... iOS 13 has its sh*t together.

But man... Holy cow are iPhone homescreens an eye sore. It is very possible that, if Google doesn't get it's act together in terms of automation, I will go iPhone and I will just have to deal with a cluttered mess every time I look at my phone, but it doesn't mean I have to agree it looks nice.

If iPhone could just offer an App Drawer at least... I'm not saying I'd switch. There are still things I like about Android. But there ya have it.

In short, yeah, I understand the itch. I think you should go for it. You can always come back in a few years.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
One of the major factors keeping me from doing any business with Apple was the realization in 1981 that Apple's business plan was to have absolutely control over the hardware, software, and user. Nothing has changed. I did in an emergency but a USB C adapter from Apple and the $40 price tag on a $10, at most, adapter reminded me of why I don't go with Apple for anything.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 7 and I find myself switching more all the time. Im starting to think of customization as becoming over rated. The new dark mode for iOS 13 looks quite good as well. I’m not stuck in either system so I can use either with complete ease and need not worry about losing anything in either or need to change anything. Win/Win IMO.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site

Being someone who actually switched the other way from iOS to Android, here are the pros/cons of each in my opinion...both are great OSs though.

IOS does offer 5 year update support, which no Android offers (maximum of 3 years on Android) and it is more secure, although sometimes I feel the difference is exaggerated by the media. It can be considered easier to use compared to certain Android skins, but is as easy to use as stock, Oxygen OS and OneUI.

However, a noticeable difference is the lack of customisation options. Simple things like choosing default apps, adding widgets and your own home screen layout can be frustrating to do on iOS (you can’t do the first two and with the last one is very restrictive). There are noticeably fewer apps on the App Store than Play Store, no app drawers etc. The quick access panel on Android (used for turning on wifi quickly etc) has an equivalent on iOS but is more practical and easier to use on Android.

There are quite a few Google apps missing from iOS and Android being by Google, things work better on Android regarding Google apps.

In terms of hardware, Android still generally offers more bang for your buck. The iPhone 11 and 11 Pro have closed the gap considerably...they offer (only the latter) great displays, camera setups, performance and now respectable battery life. If you can live with the large notch, still high price (but now lower), lack of extra features like expandable storage/in display fingerprint sensors etc and customisation of Android, they are great choices.

Have you considered upgrading to an Android device though?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Price: It's not that iPhones don't cost more, it's that Android manufacturers, seeing what Apple could get away with, raised their prices, and they're getting away with it. In 2013, a new Note (the 3) was about $400, today, the equivalent is close to $1,000. (OnePlus still seems to be holding the line.)

OS: Linux is easier (because it's more familiar to most people who can use a command line) than iOS, and access to the OS is important to me. (I run a lot of command-line apps.)

Lack of app drawer: All the apps on the home screen? That alone would keep me from it.

Updates: How often, and how quickly after announcement, does an iPhone get updated? My Pixel is going to get updated next week, as soon as I download the update. Every single month. Until I run out of updating. I'm never more than a couple of hours behind, unless it's my choice. (Which leaves out almost all other Android manufacturers too.)

Build and hardware: That's the one place Apple may have the advantage. The OnePlus is good (and relatively cheap - and the updates are available for download), but since I still have at least a year to go before looking at another phone, I'll be looking at the 8 or waiting for the 9.

(Aside from any past losses Apple has caused me to suffer, and that goes into, and possibly past, 6 figures, so I wouldn't deal with them.)

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I have an iPhone 7 and I find myself switching more all the time. Im starting to think of customization as becoming over rated. The new dark mode for iOS 13 looks quite good as well. I’m not stuck in either system so I can use either with complete ease and need not worry about losing anything in either or need to change anything. Win/Win IMO.
Good points... But for me if we can AT LEAST hide the icons. It's like someone leaving their file cabinet open all the time. Having a clean screen w the time and five buttons is so calming even if the icon pack were average, the wallpaper one color and the clock...missing. it's not nice to look at and is so less efficient. So, they don't even need to offer customization. Just give me a frickin' app drawer! Lol

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
'iPhones are quality products and they aren't as crazy expensive as ppl assume they are. And while their ecosystem naturally has pitfalls, it also has advantages in quality control that Android just will never have bc it can't.'

Yeah, we should emulate the control of a company that outsources production to a $2 per hour employee in a communist country while ditching their tax obligations by paying off Ireland. And all the while charging more than enough not to have to for any corporate bs reason.
No thanks.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
'iPhones are quality products and they aren't as crazy expensive as ppl assume they are. And while their ecosystem naturally has pitfalls, it also has advantages in quality control that Android just will never have bc it can't.'

Yeah, we should emulate the control of a company that outsources production to a $2 per hour employee in a communist country while ditching their tax obligations by paying off Ireland. And all the while charging more than enough not to have to for any corporate bs reason.
No thanks.
Aaaaand... it was inevitable.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
there is another similar thread that I already posted in but I will repeat some of what I said. I switched over to the original note from the iphone 3gs. I wanted and needed something with a lot bigger screen when I found an article about preordering the Note. Found I like the ability to customized the screen using different launchers so the iphone will no longer be a consideration, even thought they now have the bigger screen. I have considered going to the ipad because I tend to purchase apps to help support the developer and still have them available though I don't know their status. but then again the ability to customized on the android stopped me. To go back to apple will always be on the back of my mind but, IMO, there are features the android has that will keep me from going back.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It really was a civil and intelligent conversation before that post.
I don’t understand why people feel the need to do that.

Children will always be children, regardless of their age.

Well, I just made the opposite way, ditched my iPhone X for a Note 10+. But I'm a incorrigible changer, and normally have the two platforms with one of their best gadgets. How do I see it now? I find interesting when somebody said he feels iOS closed the gap regarding Android, because I feel exactly the opposite. I always thought iOS as a superior OS in a lot of things, mainly easy if use, stability and lack of lags. But now I think Android does the same - or even better - work in this matter, which makes it, for me, a worthy bet in this specific moment. I know it won't last, sooner than later I'll come back to iOS because that's how I am: I want the best of both worlds always, no matter what. But, now, I'm really happy using the Note as my main device, and the X as the second one.

Today I find really impossible to say categorically one platform is better than the other. More than ever, today that's just a personal preferences matter, and nothing else.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Today I find really impossible to say categorically one platform is better than the other. More than ever, today that's just a personal preferences matter, and nothing else.

I totally agree. I use both platforms also and go back and forth. Both are worthy and coming closer together. I usually spend more time with iOS because I have an IPP and MBP. To think one is so much better than the other is ludicrous.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Children will always be children, regardless of their age.

Well, I just made the opposite way, ditched my iPhone X for a Note 10+. But I'm a incorrigible changer, and normally have the two platforms with one of their best gadgets. How do I see it now? I find interesting when somebody said he feels iOS closed the gap regarding Android, because I feel exactly the opposite. I always thought iOS as a superior OS in a lot of things, mainly easy if use, stability and lack of lags. But now I think Android does the same - or even better - work in this matter, which makes it, for me, a worthy bet in this specific moment. I know it won't last, sooner than later I'll come back to iOS because that's how I am: I want the best of both worlds always, no matter what. But, now, I'm really happy using the Note as my main device, and the X as the second one.

Yeah, as much as I've always been more drawn to the ideal of Android, it seems evident to me that in terms of lack of glitchiness iPhone had always had the clear advantage. And it was Android who finally closed the gap.

It really seems silly to me TODAY when people speak as if one is objectively better than the other or when they do bizarre things like compare a Pixel 3a with an iPhone 8 as of the quality of hardware or brand has nothing to do with user experience. (Explaining to iPhone users why these comparisons make no sense is generally a lost cause). It is nice that, in terms of comparing flagship phones, it really does come down to what one values (battery life, refresh rate, graphics, seemlessness, longevity, camera, updates, customizability, stylus, etc). No matter what, you're going to get a quality phone and any fault in that experience is going to have to do with your particular tastes and needs. It's a good time to be a smartphone user... Unless you value privacy... Different discussion. Lol

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
So it's childish to consider the impact of our spending? No one considers the source of what they buy? Call me a perpetual child.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
So it's childish to consider the impact of our spending? No one considers the source of what they buy? Call me a perpetual child.
You know a lot of stuff and you have helped me more than once. But man, you kind of always come off jerky. So, I don't know, my guess is that you are not a jerk at all and just have trouble with socializing.

The reason no one is discussing the ethics issue here, my guess, is because it's a much more complicated issue than "are iPhones good phones?" I guess you would have a hard time convincing me that any of these companies (especially Google) are all that ethical.

So if we want to use that as our main criteria for if one should make the switch then here is my advice to the OP:

Don't get smartphones of any brand.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
You know a lot of stuff and you have helped me more than once. But man, you kind of always come off jerky. So, I don't know, my guess is that you are not a jerk at all and just have trouble with socializing.

The reason no one is discussing the ethics issue here, my guess, is because it's a much more complicated issue than "are iPhones good phones?" I guess you would have a hard time convincing me that any of these companies (especially Google) are all that ethical.

So if we want to use that as our main criteria for if one should make the switch then here is my advice to the OP:

Don't get smartphones of any brand.
I see your point and some of your observations are true, but to not have it mentioned at all as any type of factor was a glaring omission to me. I know others don't care, or don't know enough to care. I always will.
I've been civil, not told anyone what to spend their money on, but to be criticized for voicing my opinion about a trillion dollar company is just wrong (referring to a post before yours).

In full disclosure, I have an iPad, had an iPhone 4, and have the use of my sons current iPhone.

I would still opt for the android way rather than the apple, for the customization, variety of choices, compatibility with everything except Apple and price even when they move their assembly line to the US.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Good points... But for me if we can AT LEAST hide the icons. It's like someone leaving their file cabinet open all the time. Having a clean screen w the time and five buttons is so calming even if the icon pack were average, the wallpaper one color and the clock...missing. it's not nice to look at and is so less efficient. So, they don't even need to offer customization. Just give me a frickin' app drawer! Lol

Yeah, I hear ya, I use 4 folders I keep at the top of the screen(of course, where else) 3 I use and the 4th is mostly junk. I don’t name them for a cleaner look but Apple makes me put a dot under them anyway at a minimum lol. I only use one screen this way as I dislike multiple screens. In the dock are my 4 most used apps.
Check out this link. It can enable you to be able to put icons anywhere on the screen by utilizing blanks. Kinda cool and once you get the hang of it it goes quickly. For best results pick a wallpaper and stick with it.
M A K E O V R

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca