I know that there are ton of forums about this in Android land, but what texting app is everyone using for dark mode and for the clean interface? Textra or Android messenger? I mean I love using Google apps religiously I'm just curious.v
    10-20-2019 04:02 PM
    I love Textra, but when it (quite rudely at times) expressed that they have no interest in playing catchup and offer web interface/cross-platform messaging and it started glitching on MMS and RCS messages (granted, the latter seems to be an Android limitation to stock messaging apps, but still), I had to go with Google Messages. I tried Mighty Text and Pulse but the first got greedy and the latter just glitches out too much when it comes to syncing and lacks in the customization department, so I figured if I was going to compromise for the sake of web messaging, I'd rather go with the 'source'. But in their defense, Pulse is pretty great most of the time and it offers a version for pretty much anything out there (I bet they're working on microwave versions haha)
    10-20-2019 05:36 PM
    I love Textra, but when it (quite rudely at times) expressed that they have no interest in playing catchup and offer web interface/cross-platform messaging and it started glitching on MMS and RCS messages (granted, the latter seems to be an Android limitation to stock messaging apps, but still), I had to go with Google Messages. I tried Mighty Text and Pulse but the first got greedy and the latter just glitches out too much when it comes to syncing and lacks in the customization department, so I figured if I was going to compromise for the sake of web messaging, I'd rather go with the 'source'. But in their defense, Pulse is pretty great most of the time and it offers a version for pretty much anything out there (I bet they're working on microwave versions haha)
    Yep yep, thanks for reminding me of that! I forgot all about that. I forgot about the lack of a lack of a web interface oops
    10-20-2019 06:19 PM
    Textra has had a dark mode for quite some time and I started using it for that as well as the customizations that the google app lacked at the time. Now they seem more equal but for me textra still edges out the oem app but just barely. I just use it for sms and mms. Lately tho I will say that textra has lost some of its text color customization and no idea why. Also, I like using action launcher and for whatever reason the textra icon disappears a lot. So IMO and for what I use a texting app for I may go back to the oem actually. It’s solid at least.
    10-21-2019 12:00 PM
    Textra has had a dark mode for quite some time and I started using it for that as well as the customizations that the google app lacked at the time. Now they seem more equal but for me textra still edges out the oem app but just barely. I just use it for sms and mms. Lately tho I will say that textra has lost some of its text color customization and no idea why. Also, I like using action launcher and for whatever reason the textra icon disappears a lot. So IMO and for what I use a texting app for I may go back to the oem actually. It’s solid at least.
    Haha fair enough. I mean, for me I used to Textra on my old S8 before my pixel days because of its customization but with the RCS roll out even if it's slow, Android messenger does offer more features; not to mention: web interface messaging. again, I was just curious as to what everyone uses for texting.
    10-21-2019 12:14 PM
    I actually may go back to the oem for awhile. At least action doesn’t toss it in the trash all the time lol.
    10-21-2019 12:21 PM
    I actually may go back to the oem for awhile. At least action doesn’t toss it in the trash all the time lol.
    What do you mean?
    10-21-2019 12:23 PM
    What do you mean?
    As I said in my first post Action launcher removes the Textra icon from my home screen, for whatever reason I have no idea. I contacted them and they never did get back to me about it. If I reboot the phone it’s gone, if I go into settings its usually gone when I come back out. Weird. I have to drag it back from the app drawer every time.
    10-21-2019 12:27 PM
    As I said in my first post Action launcher removes the Textra icon from my home screen, for whatever reason I have no idea. I contacted them and they never did get back to me about it. If I reboot the phone it’s gone, if I go into settings its usually gone when I come back out. Weird. I have to drag it back from the app drawer every time.
    Oh okay I got you. Textra has gotten a bit weird lately.
    10-21-2019 12:28 PM
    Oh okay I got you. Textra has gotten a bit weird lately.
    +1 for sure. Also the text colors I use in the chat bubbles I prefer black text color. Some of my contacts don’t have that option and they used to, so that is just strange.
    Thanks for the thread Eric. I may go back to the oem after reliving textra idiosyncrasies. Lol.
    10-21-2019 12:34 PM
    +1 for sure. Also the text colors I use in the chat bubbles I prefer black text color. Some of my contacts don’t have that option and they used to, so that is just strange.
    Thanks for the thread Eric. I may go back to the oem after reliving textra idiosyncrasies. Lol.
    No worries I got your back! Like I said l, like I used to using Textra app of choice. But that was way before my pixel days lol this just reaffirmed my love for Android messenger.. lol.
    10-21-2019 12:38 PM
    I have used Textra for a long time and over it had been pretty good. However their development team has been pretty non-responsive. I have reported a bug several times but have never gotten a response and the bug has never been fixed.

The bug is on a dual SIM phone with 2 SIMs installed. If I originate a NEW conversation from the Phone App or Contacts App, Textra always selects SIM 2. And their SIM using indicator is very small and easy to miss. If I initiate a message from Phone or Contact app on an existing conversation it correctly uses the SIM of the conversation.
    10-27-2019 10:44 AM
    Wow I'm so sorry to hear that!
    10-27-2019 11:44 AM
    I have decided to come back to Messenger after using Textra for a long time due to RCS. A major issue straight away is the inability to pin conversations. I have used this in Textra for my Wife and Son. Seems like such a simple thing to be missing!
    10-30-2019 09:26 PM
    Yeah, I agree. However Google messenger does have a few other advantages. RCS being one of them. I swear to God when you send pictures through Google messenger the picture isn't compressed as much. Although I just use Google photos to send with my pictures these days.
    10-31-2019 06:28 AM
    To be honest, if Google Messages had the ability to schedule messages, I think I might have to ditch Textra. I've been very loyal to Textra for quite awhile now, but I think Messages has finally caught up since the arrival of RCS. My only holdout is scheduling. That's a must have since I work goofy hours.
    Today 05:38 AM