Split screen mode

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd shed some light on this. Even though it's been a feature of Android for years now, how many people here Don't use split screen mode between applications? I'd do it quite often. However, I do read on 9to5 Google blogs that most people don't they just multitask between applications quickly. And I'm always curious as to why when you can split screen to applications :)...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just thought I'd shed some light on this. Even though it's been a feature of Android for years now, how many people here Don't use split screen mode between applications? I'd do it quite often. However, I do read on 9to5 Google blogs that most people don't they just multitask between applications quickly. And I'm always curious as to why when you can split screen to applications :)...
I use it also,but thinking for some they don't want to go through extra steps

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use it also,but thinking for some they don't want to go through extra steps
I mean I hear what you're saying, but the extra step of what going into the multitasking screen and clicking the application icon and selecting split screen mode? Lol! I love being in two applications simultaneously and not having to flick through applications trying to figure out which one I should be in...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I mean I hear what you're saying, but the extra step of what going into the multitasking screen and clicking the application icon and selecting split screen mode? Lol! I love being in two applications simultaneously and not having to flick through applications trying to figure out which one I should be in...
It's a extra step to find application you want to do split view , compared to just looking at your recent apps and choose what you want go back into . I think it's 2 different things accutualy you want to do.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a extra step to find application you want to do split view , compared to just looking at your recent apps and choose what you want go back into . I think it's 2 different things accutualy you want to do.
Well I suppose I can understand what you're talking about. I mean I don't like flicking between recent applications versus the overview menu because you don't know what application you're actually going to land on to. Unless you're specifically going between two different apps. Sometimes, split screen mode is just easier.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I suppose I can understand what you're talking about. I mean I don't like flicking between recent applications versus the overview menu because you don't know what application you're actually going to land on to. Unless you're specifically going between two different apps. Sometimes, split screen mode is just easier.
Yeah everyone going be different on this , but I do enjoy split screen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah everyone going be different on this , but I do enjoy split screen.
yeah, no command to say what you mean. I love split screen mode. I mean I know I can flick between you two different recent applications, but you're never going to know what you land on sometimes. Oh well, teach their own...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
yeah, no command to say what you mean. I love split screen mode. I mean I know I can flick between you two different recent applications, but you're never going to know what you land on sometimes. Oh well, teach their own...
Yup agree

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the edge navigation feature of Android 10, where (among other things) the recent-apps button is gone, and a swipe from the bottom edge to mid-screen brings up a scrollable (left-right) strip of recent app thumbnails. You can still bring up splitscreen by longtapping the icon at the top of any of the thumbnails and from there splitscreen works the same. A lot about edge navigation is great but I miss the ability to flipflop between two apps by tapping the recent apps button. Now, it's either
  • swipe up to access recent apps strip then tap the edge of immediate prior app, whose thumbnail is almost offscreen to the left, or
  • swipe up to access recent apps then tap the icon for split screen, load the second app, then tweak the displays until the most relevant part of each app's display is onscreen in its half-screen space
each of these is timeconsuming and awkward compared to just tapping the recent apps button.

Related issue:
When you have multiple home screens, one is designated the primary. I'm not sure what it's called so I'll call it home[SUP]2[/SUP]. Tapping the home button once brings you to the current home, then tapping again brings you to home[SUP]2[/SUP]. With edge navigation, swiping up more than halfway brings you to the current home, doing it again brings you to the app drawer. I have not found any gesture that's assured of bringing you to home[SUP]2[/SUP]. You have to swipe up to get to current home, then scroll left or right to get to home[SUP]2[/SUP]. Getting this right means always knowing whether home[SUP]2[/SUP] is to the left or to the right of the current home. The more home pages you have, the harder it becomes to find your way home[SUP]2[/SUP].

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995